Rough ride after getting a lift? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Leongorani

Rough ride after getting a lift?

Is it normal to have a rough ride when you get a Jeep Jl lifted? I have 35 inch nitro ridge grapplers, 4.5 inch teralfex lift with falcon 3.3 shocks. I also have teralfex control arms. The ride feels good on a normal smooth road but the bumps and potholes and everything feel much more rough on the ride of the Jeep. Is that because of the size of the tires? Or the air pressure of the tires? Could there be a problem with the lift or something? Or will this go away after a while of driving the car? I am still trying to figure out how to adjust the shocks to have the smoothest ride. Would like some tips if you have any, thanks. Also, my rear shocks have the reservoir area mounted at the top, isn’t it supposed to be mounted upside down with the shocks on the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2020, 05:11 PM
pills

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
With the bigger tires you need to run a lower pressure. My JK on 35x12.5x17 is stupid harsh at the 37 psi recommended on the door, but is great at 30 psi. I just need to get an
AEV procal now to set the lower pressure in the computer and get the dash light gone.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Leongorani

Quote:
Originally Posted by pills View Post
With the bigger tires you need to run a lower pressure. My JK on 35x12.5x17 is stupid harsh at the 37 psi recommended on the door, but is great at 30 psi. I just need to get an
AEV procal now to set the lower pressure in the computer and get the dash light gone.
gotcha, I will have to check the tire pressure of the tires I have on now and I will turn it down if it is too high. what's the safest lower pressure I should go with for a 35 inch Nitto ridge grappler?

post #4 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 05:49 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leongorani View Post
gotcha, I will have to check the tire pressure of the tires I have on now and I will turn it down if it is too high. what's the safest lower pressure I should go with for a 35 inch Nitto ridge grappler?

Best way to know is to do a chalk test. Take some kidís sidewalk chalk and run a fat line across the tire. Drive it a couple of hundred feet or so. Reduce your pressure until the chalk line wears off evenly. If itís too high, it wears off in the middle first. If itís too low, it wears off on the edges first. On my fodees, my sweet spot is right around 25psi.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

It's probably going to be somewhere in the 26-28 PSI range but as NashvilleTJ said, chalk test is the best way to determine the exact pressure.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 05:10 PM
AccuTuneOffroad

Are those Falcon shocks adjustable? Make sure they are on the softest setting. From what we have heard, they tend to ride a bit stiff.

2018 Jeep JLUR, AccuTune Offroad Coilover Kit, 40" Milestar Black Labels
post #7 of 9 Old 07-07-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Leongorani

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccuTuneOffroad View Post
Are those Falcon shocks adjustable? Make sure they are on the softest setting. From what we have heard, they tend to ride a bit stiff.
Yeah I thought I had them on the softest setting, I have them on the third one. I never got a box or a manual from the shop that installed them so I don’t know how to set them for the best ride. I never knew they rode stiff, I guess with the tires it just makes it even more bumpy.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-07-2020, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Leongorani

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
It's probably going to be somewhere in the 26-28 PSI range but as NashvilleTJ said, chalk test is the best way to determine the exact pressure.
is that a good range to have the pressure? I don’t want to set it too low and pop a bead on the road, I was thinking of going down to 30? They are at 35 psi right now I believe.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2020, 08:42 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leongorani View Post
is that a good range to have the pressure? I donít want to set it too low and pop a bead on the road, I was thinking of going down to 30? They are at 35 psi right now I believe.
You won't pop a bead at 26PSI, heck you won't pop a bead at 15 PSI.

I ran my KM2's at 28 PSI all the time as that's where mine chalked at. On the trails, I ran them at 15 PSI and only once had a bead issue and that was due to mud being jammed into the bead, not because I popped one.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in