Rough Country 9500# Winch - Page 10 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 145 Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
NewYJOwner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have to say I am happy with their customer service.
I bought my RC-9500 in Feb 2011 and about a month ago I started having a solenoid sticking, a tap with a wrench on the solenoid it winched in. (try again and nothing, tap the solenoid and it worked). I called RC and told them the problem, and they sent me a new winch control box, complete with cables and wireless remote.
So now it works perfect again and I have a spare wireless setup, cables and plug for the wired controller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 145 Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

did you also pay around $450? im considering buying this winch, but would like to get it for $400 as said early in the thread. i can wait, if i have to, wheeling season is just about over in CO.

'97 XJ Country, 3" hybrid, 245/75 MTR, TJ Moabs, Front Truetrac/Rear Aussie, 4:10 gears, skids, recovery.
post #138 of 145 Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
McKBrew

JK Wrangler 

I traded in my Jeep and sold the winch a long time back. Glad to hear that things are working out for the most part.

post #139 of 145 Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 AM
sadass

1998 ZJ 

Well My winch died In less then a Year. I, being the" I can fix anything" Kind of guy, pulled it apart and found that water had managed to settled in to the motor nice and well for sometime now. At the time of initial troubleshooting, The motor would draw excessive current but not spin in or out while engaged but in free spooled I was able to Manually spin the drum fine. But, in free spool or engaged I would only hear the clicking of the relays and observe a huge current draw. Upon removal of the electric motor, I found every thing with heavy surface rust. I was able to pull the motor end off the drum with the two long bolts and clean it all up to the point the motor is full operational again. However, that is where Is the good news stops and the need for your Help Begins. If anyone has a good understanding about the mechanics of this winch I sure could use a hand. Please!
The details: Previously If I hit the spool in or out the relay would just click and no rotation of the drum noted. All Electrical connections were checked and found to be good . After I pulled the Electric motor And cleaned all the surface rust off the motor bench tested fine. Good to go so I thought.
My new problem!!!! When I hit spool in or out with the winch engaged, the motor starts to turn momentarily but the drum sounds like it hits a physical hard stop now. Now the weird part but equally important I think. If I disengage the winch and Hit spool in or out. The drum spins at an very fast speed, in and out. Dangerously fast!!!! what baffles me is the fact that when I pulled the motor off, there was only one coupler that dropped off the shaft. That is it, two bolts and slide motor shaft out of the coupler. Idiot proof I thought. It is not possible to put it back to gather wrong . I did not dismantle the gear end or pull the drum. only the coupler that engages with the break end of the drum was disturbed in my repair. I fixed to electric motor problem and now something is wrong with the gear/mechanical end of the winch. It is important to note that I did not disconnect any wires to the motor end housing. I am just not seeing How I could have created another Problem by simply pulling the motor end off and leaving the drum and gear end intact.
Finally I did pull the Gear end and drum and expose the gears and brake but I see nothing wrong. NO broken parts at least. Please enlighten me if anyone has a clue as to what I did wrong. I am certain I addressed my sole original problem. this new problem is way different and I had to create it in my opinion. but How?

I know I should have or could have probably had RC take care of it. I needed it fixed for Hurricane Sandy. so Me being as technically skilled as I like to think I am. I dug in.
I am not trying to make this an RC bashing post. I am just a guy low on funds at the time and in need of some technical help. Please feel free to PM me if you like or re direct my post.

RC9500S is my winch model.
Thanks Fellas!

5NineZJ,35mtr/k IRO 7" LA F/R Detroit F/HP-4.56 R/Aussie 44A. ARB Snorkel/JRC Sliders/ Protofab w/9500S./Bushwhackers. Novak242 TCcable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sadass; 11-20-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: break brake
post #140 of 145 Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 AM
ATown17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be watching this review thread... might be a great Christmas present.
post #141 of 145 Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
forsaken82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just called ryan at rough country. i opted for the steel cable since it will not be used much at all. weight is not a issue. more of a cya than anything. $310 to my door. I head a xd9000i on my old jeep and i think i used it 2 times total in about 4 years. maybe one day ill upoad picks of that jeep rocking 5.13 geared locked dana 60s with 39.5 tsl's. damn i miss that money pit!
post #142 of 145 Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
forsaken82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

got it today. winch looks great! solenoid box is fine too. wireless remote feels kinda cheap but if it works it works. cant fault on something that will stay in the glove box!
post #143 of 145 Old 03-06-2015, 02:41 PM
rizinoutlaw

I know this thread is kind of old, just curious on how the RC winches are holding up
post #144 of 145 Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Thunderdude

Rough Country RS9500 controller cable

Does anybody know where I can pick one up. My remote control device seems a bit cheep and I don't want to end up wishing I had my cable controller.
post #145 of 145 Old 09-01-2016, 04:19 PM
ReconRabbit

1983 CJ7 

Since this thread was revived from the dead, I'd be happy to give you an update. I would not purchase one again. I had catastrophic failure in mine. The side broke off of the drum! I haven't used it anywhere near capacity, mostly to put in and take out my dock which weighs 1000-1500#. I contacted Rough Country and they do not offer any parts for their winches, only answer is to buy a new one. They are in the process of "seeing what they can do", we shall see. I'd buy a WARN, still might have to. VR's look pretty appealing on price right now! We will see how they handle it to see if I want to post the chat transcript with them and the pics of my failure. Pretty bad.

If your Jeeps not leaking it's out of fluids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in