recovery NO NO? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
mschviuz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

recovery NO NO?

Ok....not sure where to post this but since I have a TJ I'll try here.
I've read posts that say you aren't supposed to use tow straps with metal hooks and I can use my imagination to figure out the why but.....

what is the correct way to use a recovery strap? any pics?
I'm new to 4 wheelin and would like to see the correct ways before something goes majorly wrong!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 AM
JasonJW

If a strap with a metal hook lets go, a large hunk of metal goes flying through the air causing the obvious safety issue. If a loop strap breaks, the idea is that there is no chunk of metal attached to it.
post #3 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
mschviuz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJW View Post
If a strap with a metal hook lets go, a large hunk of metal goes flying through the air causing the obvious safety issue. If a loop strap breaks, the idea is that there is no chunk of metal attached to it.
Yea...that's what I meant by i can imagine the reason not to use hooks. What I want to know is how are you tieing the loops without them tightening up so much you can't get them off

post #4 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Jerky bump

I wonder if there's been a thread on "recovery techniques"? That would be cool. I think the main rule is to hook to something capable of taking the jerk and just use your imagination depending on the circumstances. Personally, I think an axle would be the best point of hookup-but it's likely seldom available. I also read there are minimum hook points required on a rig before you're allowed on certain trails. Tying loops is better done with proper knots like a sheepshank and bowline. There are also special knots used for straps and slippery material. Just remember, knots on average weaken the "rope" by half.
post #5 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
mschviuz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky bump View Post
I wonder if there's been a thread on "recovery techniques"? That would be cool. I think the main rule is to hook to something capable of taking the jerk and just use your imagination depending on the circumstances. Personally, I think an axle would be the best point of hookup-but it's likely seldom available. I also read there are minimum hook points required on a rig before you're allowed on certain trails. Tying loops is better done with proper knots like a sheepshank and bowline. There are also special knots used for straps and slippery material. Just remember, knots on average weaken the "rope" by half.
I have the d shackles front and rear but wan't sure the best way to tie the strap. I guess you could run the strap through the shackle and back through the loop but what about the other end? I can just imagine how how it would be to untie a standard knot after all the pulling!
post #6 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
msavard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you serious?

Any strap has a loop on each end. Put the loop through the D rings on your rig... no need to tie anything.

2004 Yellow TJ Sport
(purchased stock on 6.3.06)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4.0L Auto 35" Maxxis Bighorns D30/D44 w 4.88 Gears 2.5" OME LJ/XJ lift JKS Trackbars Brown Dog MML 1" BL Warn Engine Skid Aussie Locker (FR) / Rubi Air Locker (REAR) SYE/CV Nth Adj Control Arms Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier PSC Rocker Knockers ORO Swayloc TNT Tube Fenders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
mschviuz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavard View Post
Are you serious?

Any strap has a loop on each end. Put the loop through the D rings on your rig... no need to tie anything.
Ok feel like an idiot...not enough coffee I suppose.
I didn't think of that because I tightened the pin down so it wouldn't come off on the road. I just need to keep a crescent wrench in the jeep.

Anyway to delete this entire thread so the jeep world doesn't think I'm completely stupid...I swear...I'm not. LOL!
post #8 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
Ok....not sure where to post this but since I have a TJ I'll try here.
I've read posts that say you aren't supposed to use tow straps with metal hooks and I can use my imagination to figure out the why but.....

what is the correct way to use a recovery strap? any pics?
I'm new to 4 wheelin and would like to see the correct ways before something goes majorly wrong!
Those are tow straps. They are fine for towing around a vehicle that isn't stuck. Recovery straps are rated higher.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #9 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
SeanCucf

2002 TJ Wrangler 

post #10 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 PM
msavard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
Ok feel like an idiot...not enough coffee I suppose.
I didn't think of that because I tightened the pin down so it wouldn't come off on the road. I just need to keep a crescent wrench in the jeep.

Anyway to delete this entire thread so the jeep world doesn't think I'm completely stupid...I swear...I'm not. LOL!
No worries man.. we all start somewhere.

Little tip on the shackles... I keep my torqued down as well... Just use a screwdriver (or anything with a tip that will fit through the hole) through the hole at the end of the pin to gain leverage to twist it.... get a lot of leverage that way.

Congrats on being smart enough to seek out the proper way to recover a vehicle instead of just winging it and risking injury/damage.

2004 Yellow TJ Sport
(purchased stock on 6.3.06)

4.0L Auto 35" Maxxis Bighorns D30/D44 w 4.88 Gears 2.5" OME LJ/XJ lift JKS Trackbars Brown Dog MML 1" BL Warn Engine Skid Aussie Locker (FR) / Rubi Air Locker (REAR) SYE/CV Nth Adj Control Arms Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier PSC Rocker Knockers ORO Swayloc TNT Tube Fenders

post #11 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
sourskittle
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Get on youtube and search for "4x4 recovery".
I had 6 pages pop up. I watched one the other week that was great.

If you use shackles/metal all you have to do it loop a safety strap round the hook/metal side so that if it goes flying, the small safety loop/rope will catch it and kill all its energy.

Some Aussie cats did the video, it was great. It was like a whole series.

Nevermind, I went and found it for ya
This video should be something everyone that signs on to the forum should watch

2002 TJ Apex edition with EFI ford 5.0L H.O., NV3550, 33'' Maxxis A/Ts, 5'' lift with custom built rear 4-link, Ford 8.8 LSD 4.10s, HP D30 with spartan locker 4.10s
post #12 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
mschviuz

1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, I'll check those vids out when I get home. can't pull up youtube and some other vid sites here at work(blocked)
post #13 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Lostj

2000 TJ Wrangler 

snatching with rope=

(in my case )

00'TJ
74'CJ5 For Sale
post #14 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:57 PM
dz1087

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good video.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
post #15 of 58 Old 02-19-2008, 12:57 PM
badoosh27

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i have both a recovery strap and a chain. a ton of people hate the idea of using a chain, but my chain is darn near unbreakable. i know they can break, but the odds of my little TJ making enough force to break it is zero. i used it with my old K5 Blazer to pull down trees, pull out stuck people, and all kinds of stuff and have never had a problem. i would trust a chain waaaaay more than the cable on a winch even. i'm not knocking straps, but i like my chain. plus its about 40 feet long and can reach much farther than any strap i've seen.

2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, 30/35 axles, 3.73's, ZJ springs, 1"BB, 31" Futura M/Ts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in