receiver winch mount - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-14-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

receiver winch mount

just wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with a front reciever mount winch cradle. i am debating the advantage of using my 2" reciever to mount winch,to allow removal when not needed.

yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 PM
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have been looking into receiver mount winches and this is what I've found out from some members of the club I'm in.

The primary problem with a receiver mount winch is that certain mounts will flex and twist causing the winch to bind onder side pulls, this is on receiver mounts that are simply a plate welded to a tube. If you buy/build a receiver mount that prevents the mount and winch from twisting it should be ok. The next issue has to do with the hitch itself, you need to make sure the hitch is up to the task of having a winch attatched. If you use your hitch for recovery currently and it mounts securely to the frame it should be ok.

Also the term " should be ok" is not to be confused with "is ok".

1999 Cherokee 2 Door Sport (To be modified) Mine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
CJ7Pilot

1982 CJ8 

The biggest problem with receiver mounted winches, is when you really need it (unexpectedly), it will be sitting on your garage floor at home....

Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader...!

post #4 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you see anything wrong with mounting a winch rated at 8,000 to 9,500 lbs. for recovery use into a receiver hitch rated to maybe 3,500 lbs. max? I sure do. It might be ok for street use or dragging a log around the property but for off-road recovery where the angles could be anything but straight, I sure wouldn't do it.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Some of the Draw-Tite hitches will specify the max capacity of winch they are rated for. I have front and rear Draw-Tites on my Comanche that both specify they are rated for up to a 9,000lb winch and I have used them both with a Ramsey QM8000 with no issues. I do, however, make it a point to make my line pulls as straing as possible!
post #6 of 14 Old 03-20-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

the confusing response i got from this post is the fact that the hidden hitch front reciever mount i'm looking at is like 7500lbs. now to me,i see it as the winch plates all mount to the 4 topside bumper/frame bolts. now is that any stronger than the bolts on the underside of your tj front bumper? i'm just figuring that a straght pull would be safe and reliably strength worthy. i mean why do they even bother selling the reciever cradle mounts if they aren't reliable? now i do see one factor,that there are only 2 bolts on the underside of a tj frame/bumper mount,wheras my f-150,rated for 10,000lbs w/ class 3 hitch in rear has 4 farme bolt per side. thinking maybe i should just abandon the whole front hitch mount.

yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM
25jon25

my winch is on a reciver mount and i would not have it any other way. Its is safe and dry in my garage when i dont need it but when i do it easily goes on egither end which i have found very handy. My dads truck, my truck and jeep are all set up for it so its almost like having a winch on all of em. I also got a set of 20' jumper cables and put a winch plug on one end so vechicles not equipped for it can still use it. it does hurt approach angles but still isnt to bad.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
Some of the Draw-Tite hitches will specify the max capacity of winch they are rated for. I have front and rear Draw-Tites on my Comanche that both specify they are rated for up to a 9,000lb winch and I have used them both with a Ramsey QM8000 with no issues.
Hitch and winch capacities are rated totally differently. I'd like to see where the label or documentation says a Draw-Tite hitch is rated for up to a 9,000 lb. "winch". They rate their hitches for a trailer's weight which is only a rolling weight they can pull... in other words a 9,000 lb. trailer is not putting a 9,000 lb. load on the hitch. That hitch not rated to actually support 9,000 lbs. as a winch is rated to, it's only rated to tow a 9,000 lb. trailer... two very different ways of measuring capacities.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 05:24 PM
frumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese
Line Pull: 9000 lbs
http://www.reeseprod.com/fitguides/d...ID=65008&dlr=0

Granted, that is probably a straight pull, no angles involved but they are still rated. This one is for a grand cherokee.

2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab V8
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
post #10 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
19OlllllllO41

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy has one on the front if his TJ. Its nice cause he can remove it, BUT it makes his approach angle TERRIBLE. It sticks off the front of the bumper at least a foot... I personally wouldn't mount my winch like that because of how far it sticks off, but it does work if you dont mind it hanging off so much.

The Present:

'05 TJ Rubicon (Electric Lime Green)
'04 WJ
'46 CJ2A
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
post #11 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 AM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Two guys in my club run receiver mount winches, one has a single winch in front and the other has one up front and one in the back. Both hold winches rated from 9.5-10k, never had a single problem doing uphill, straight, angle pulls. They are integrated into custom bumpers so there is a lot of support that has been added. I wouldnt do more than a 4 or 5k pull of a normal hitch.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep 99 View Post
My buddy has one on the front if his TJ. Its nice cause he can remove it, BUT it makes his approach angle TERRIBLE. It sticks off the front of the bumper at least a foot... I personally wouldn't mount my winch like that because of how far it sticks off, but it does work if you dont mind it hanging off so much.
For me this illustrates the biggest problem, it is in the way so your remove it. When you remove it you have to secure it in your jeep. This takes up valuable space esp. if you are in a wrangler. Another issue is if you don't secure it well enough it could be damaged, damage something else, or hurt somebody if you get into an accident or lay it over. Another problem is mounting it when you need it. What if you need it and you are stuck. You need it on front and your front end is seven feet in the air, winches are heavy and now you have to mount it. Lets make it worse, it is muddy and slippery or icey and slick.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #13 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 PM
frumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
For me this illustrates the biggest problem, it is in the way so your remove it. When you remove it you have to secure it in your jeep. This takes up valuable space esp. if you are in a wrangler. Another issue is if you don't secure it well enough it could be damaged, damage something else, or hurt somebody if you get into an accident or lay it over. Another problem is mounting it when you need it. What if you need it and you are stuck. You need it on front and your front end is seven feet in the air, winches are heavy and now you have to mount it. Lets make it worse, it is muddy and slippery or icey and slick.
If you are in that much of a jam you could always just throw it on a friends rig, or if you have a second (deep cycle) battery, just strap it to a tree. I don't think the approach angle would be as bad as a wrangler compared to something like a ZJ where the winch bumper sticks out that much anyway.

2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab V8
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
post #14 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
If you are in that much of a jam you could always just throw it on a friends rig, or if you have a second (deep cycle) battery, just strap it to a tree. I don't think the approach angle would be as bad as a wrangler compared to something like a ZJ where the winch bumper sticks out that much anyway.
What if you can't get another jeep into position or if it doesn't have a mounting point. This is often the case.

I doubt you could strap it to a tree tight enough to get the winch to roll the cable on right.

Even in a wrangler having something hang out that much would be in the way.

It depends on how you wheel. I would never consider it for myself. It may work fine for others, I would never recommend it to anyone.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in