Re: Timing Chain Kits & Parts in General - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2021, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
nickv_83

Re: Timing Chain Kits & Parts in General

Hi all, I'm in Sydney Australia and have an 83 CJ7 Laredo. Over the years i've purchased international through Morris4x4 but as of late and even over the years they've become more of a pain to deal with as I am constantly finding they have a lot of parts for CJ7's out of stock and are becoming ever increasingly slack with their Int shipping (parts gone missing/not received etc). I am after a timing chain kit (inc gears) hopefully a double row aftermarket chain that is stronger than the factory ones, as well as a sump gasket and possibly other little replacement bits and pieces. Is there any other supplier there in the US that is as big as Morris4x4 but has parts in stock?? There aint many options here in Oz for CJ's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2021, 11:33 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I would order through Summit Racing, in stock and quick shipping. Also avoid Omix-Ada or Crown as much as you can for engine parts.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...d=timing%20set

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2021, 03:09 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Do the major outlets ship internationally?
NAPA, O'Reilly's, Auto zone, etc?
Unless you're doing something crazy, a stock (steel) timing set will last years.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2021, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
nickv_83

I was thinking off summit racing, I have emailed them but no reply as yet. I more inclined to go with a more durable double row chain than the stock steel one only because that's what my mechanic has recommended. It's generally very slow cranking, he's worked on the CJ's for years and says after wear and tear over the years the chains can stretch causing the timing to be out which makes them slow to start. That's what he says.........Not sure if i'm being taken for a ride??
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2021, 10:14 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

If his answer to slow cranking is a bad timing chain, then, yes, I think you need to investigate further.

Is the question slow cranking or slow starting?

Slow cranking is an issue with your primary electrical system, the starting system in particular.
Slow cranking can be caused by:
Low battery
Bad battery cables
bad starter
Bad starter ground

A timing chain can be checked by aligning the timing marks and rocking the crank back and forth while observing the rotor movement. 10 degrees of movement is considered max.

Chesty Puller
post #6 of 7 Old 11-29-2021, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
nickv_83

Thnx for the reply.........It is slow cranking and slow starting.

It cranks over very very lazily, I'm picking up a new starter this week. Battery is fully charged and it's a heavy duty battery, i've checked ground and cables but can't see anything out of the norm, all seems fine.

I have also replaced leads, coil, solenoid, Ignition Module and have checked the rotor cap and distributor cap but all seems fine and there is a decent spark.
I've replaced fuel line, all fuel filters and fuel pump and this damn Jeep still wont start.

So I had it towed to my mechanic and he's saying timing chain maybe out or stretched. Hence the timing being out and not starting.

I have checked the timing chain as per what you've suggested above, but i'm not entirely sure what i'm looking at so i'm going to have another mechanic look at it for me.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-29-2021, 07:09 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

You've thrown a lot of parts at it. A good understanding of basic trouble shooting will help you save time and money.
Starting issues and cranking issues are problems associated with two different systems. While slow cranking can cause long crank time before starting, the inverse isn't true.
The first thing to do is fix the slow cranking issue. Since you have seemed to have checked/replaced most of the various components in the system, it seems the starter is the last part on your list.
Once the slow cranking is fixed, you will want to check the starting issue (if it hasn't gone away with the previous problem).

Long crank times can be caused by a ton of things usually pertaining to one of two systems, fuel and electrical.

Fuel:
Choke problems
Flooding
Bad accelerator pump
Vacuum leaks
Other carb issues (float level, main metering system issues, etc..)

Electrical:
Timing issues (including a bad timing chain)
Plug wires out of order
Bad/fouled/broken/wrong plugs
Ignition problems (weak/no spark while cranking)
Improperly installed/wrong component (wrong carb/cam/distributor/starter/plug wires etc...)

Chain check:
Align the timing marks with the pointer/notch centered on the scale.
Rock the crank back and forth within the slack of the chain while observing the dist rotor.
If you have more than 10 degrees (using the scale as a reference of crank degree rotation) on the crank before you see the rotor turn in either direction, your chain is showing signs of stretch. The more degrees of slack, the worse the condition.

Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in