Questions about diff & tranny oil... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-25-2002, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Carpe Diem

Questions about diff & tranny oil...

My first trip to this forum and already asking questions.....

I have a '95 YJ with a manual tranny. I want to change the fluid on it and the differentials.

1. I found the drain plug on the bottom on the drivers' side. (That IS is it, correct?) Which of the plugs on the the backside of the tranny do I pull to add fluid and know when it's full? I saw two plugs on the backside, want to make sure I pull the correct one.

2. I'm planning on using Mobil 1... any problems with that? I'm always open to suggestions.

3. Where's a good place to get a pump to remove the diff oil? I have one large tube of the diff additive... is that enough for both diffs or do I need more?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

'95 Black YJ w/ 2-1/2" lift. 'Betsy' has been to all three coasts, Mexico and Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-25-2002, 10:01 PM
ageofzeppelin

Howdy,

I'm not sure which transmission you have, but on mine (which sounds to be a different one 4.0L '93 XJ) the fill hole is on the driver's side, and the drain hole is on the passenger's side. I don't think I have any holes on the bottom or back of the transmission. The transfer case plugs are are the back of the case, which is near the back of the transmission. Is that what you are looking at? Again, the drain plug on that is the lower one, the fill hole is the higher one. As far as the differentials go, generally, you would just take all the bolts off the diff cover, pry it off, and let it drain / rush out, clean it all up real nice, then install a new gasket and put the cover back on. Check you'r owner's manual to find out how much fluid you will need.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-26-2002, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Carpe Diem

Age 'o Zep,

You're right, prying diff cover would be much better than a pump.

MAYBE I saw a securing bolt under there on the bottom side... I'll crawl back under there this weekend to double check.

Thanks for the info.

'95 Black YJ w/ 2-1/2" lift. 'Betsy' has been to all three coasts, Mexico and Canada.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-26-2002, 09:03 AM
OldJeepguy

1979 CJ7 

All items get filled until it starts coming out of the fill hole.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-26-2002, 07:20 PM
ageofzeppelin

That's a good point, OldJeepGuy. You should probably use something like an old dishwashing liquid container to add the fluids. As for the amount you will (ie, if what you have will be enough) use the owner's manual for a guideline.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-27-2002, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Carpe Diem

Thanks!!!!

post #7 of 7 Old 03-09-2002, 09:44 PM
jpwranglr9

seams you all have covered the filling and draining. the diff uses GL5 while the trany uses GL3. DON'T PUT GL5 IN THE TRANS!!!. if you do use GL5 make sure its fully synthetic and is compatible with bronze syncro rings. GL5 with the high preasure additive can eat up your syncros.

Its not what you buy...its what you BUILD!!!
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in