Please clarify this question regarding lunchbox lockers in the front - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-06-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Utah_Jay

2018 JK Wrangler 

Please clarify this question regarding lunchbox lockers in the front

I have read several threads on several forums regarding putting an Aussie or the like in the front of the Dana 30. Everything I have read said it doesn't engage in 2WD and only locks when in 4WD or torque applied to the front end.

The guy at 4 wheel parts said it is locked full time even in 2WD.

Which is correct?

2007 JKU Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM
TexasTJ
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
In 2wd the only thing it may do is make a clicking sound. I used to have an Aussie and it clicked all the way around the turn, but never had a problem with it. I bought it on craigslist, used it for a bit, now my friend is using it.

2wd off
4wd on

Sold 11/18/19 :(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May TJ of the Month 2015
post #3 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 12:39 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

With out the ability to unlock the front hubs the locker will continuously engage and disengage around corners. If you're running a 231 or other t case that allows a 2 wheel drive mode, this will be a bit of a non issue, as it may make some noise, but should be invisible otherwise.

post #4 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 07:09 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

On dry or wet pavement, a front lunchbox locker is OK. No strange behaviors, and no unusual noises. It does not engage in 2wd because there is no torque input to the axle.

I always recommend locking the rear axle first. A selectable locker, or a Limited Slip is the best choice for the front axle.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 AM
1tonmut

1983 CJ7 

Yes of course, it's always locked.
The teeth of the side gears are spring loaded against the teeth of the axle gears so the only time it's not locked is when the wheels are going different speeds which causes the gears to ramp out and skip teeth (making noise) until the gears re-engage.
It's similar in function to a detroit locker, better off with a limited slip or a selectable air electric or mechanical locker in front.
Lunchbox lockers are much better suited for the rear axle.

I agree with what JeeperDon said.
"people here will say it's fine,but that just means they are willing to live with the quirks."
post #6 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Indy

If you have manual hubs you'll never know it's there. A lunchbox is always locked until its forced to unlock.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There's some baseless conjecture and lack of personal experience with a front-mounted lunchbox locker in a TJ above. First, a front-mounted lunchbox locker is a non-issue on the street when you're in 2wd. Most click through turns but that's it. My previous TJ's Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker mounted in my front axle didn't even click, you literally couldn't tell it was there in 2wd on the street.

While it is true lunchbox lockers are always locked, they don't lock up hard enough to cause any steering issues until you shift into 4x4. They unlock so easily when in 2wd that, again, a front-mounted lunchbox locker is an absolute non-issue in 2wd on the street. At the most they only click through turns when you're in 2wd on the street.

And never listen to what a 4WP salesman says about such things... most are totally clueless and most only know about lifting big trucks with lots of chrome-plated parts. Few are into Jeeps or know much about them.

If you don't mind clicking through turns, the Aussie would be a great choice, followed by the Powertrax Lockrite. If you don't want any noticeable clicking through turns, spend about $100 more for the Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 05:09 PM
tookie

The front gearset and driveshaft will always spin, even in 2WD... which will be an issue if
your front shaft is not well balanced, or has worn components. Even if they are
in great shape, gas mileage will be worse.
Before I got a trailer, I used to flat tow, and after installing the lockright, Jeep would
no longer follow the truck thru a turn, wheels wanted to stay straight... never figured
that one out, but I don't flat tow anymore, plus I got locking hubs...
post #9 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 11:04 PM
shotgunsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a lockright in the front for the past 90k. Flat tow without any problems. In 2X it's non-issue. Only use 4x4 in snow when it's needed. Meaning I cant move. Been anticipating it's replacement but it just keeps working. I did an inspection thisweek and it all looks great.

"If a law is stupid, you have to break it."
HST
post #10 of 22 Old 02-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Airstreamer67
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Jerry 100%. My Aussie doesn't affect anything in 2WD except a little clicking when turning, and I don't even notice that except perhaps in very tight and slow turns.

But when you need the pulling power in the mud in 4WD, boy does it ever earn its keep! Wow!
post #11 of 22 Old 02-08-2015, 08:19 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
I agree with Jerry 100%. My Aussie doesn't affect anything in 2WD except a little clicking when turning, and I don't even notice that except perhaps in very tight and slow turns.

But when you need the pulling power in the mud in 4WD, boy does it ever earn its keep! Wow!
x3; just saying. I've had an Aussie in the front of my TJ since 2008.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Utah_Jay

2018 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, going to go with an Aussie and try it out on the EJS this year.

2007 JKU Sport
post #13 of 22 Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 PM
amp713

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You wont regret it at all.. I love the Aussie and its pulled me over some stuff here in utah that others couldnt touch with rear lockers

I like my YJ how I like my whiskey, on the rocks with just a touch of color!

post #14 of 22 Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

In my little flat fender I used to have a powerlock (clutch pack limited slip) in the rear and it really didn't do much. I pulled it and put a lock-right in the rear and it made a significant difference. But when I added the lock-right to the front, then it pretty much went anywhere. As long as I had a tire on something that tire had power going to it. I'm not going to say it was unstoppable (31" tires, pinto four cylinder engine), but it was amazing.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
post #15 of 22 Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM
stich
1949 CJ3A 

I have Lock Rights in front and rear of my 49 and mated up with the Buick 231 and T98 4sp, it really does go anywhere....(that I want to go anyways)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in