Piecing an OBA system together, looking for feedback - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2016 KL Cherokee 

Piecing an OBA system together, looking for feedback

So, I was originally going to go with a ViAir system but after reading a few threads, it seems I could build my own similar system for about half the cost. Used primarily for airing up my 35s but if cost increase isnt too significant, Id like the ability to run air tools as well. Here's the plan right now, Im looking for feedback. Im not looking for a debate or recommendations for a different type of OBA system, just feedback on below:

2 MV50s (150max psi, 2.54cfm, 20% duty cycle) - $120 (for both)
ViAir Pressure Switch Relay (90on 120off) - $20
ViAir 0-150psi regulator (0-150) $24
On/Off Dash switch - $4
Smittybilt 2.5 Gal Tank - $37
Assorted Fittings/Wire and tubing - $25

total: $230

Lets say that my comparison base is the ViAir Ultra Duty (I know what Im building isnt quite as powerful) and around a $425 cost cap. The ViAir Ultra duty has a max psi of 200 and max CFM of 1.76. 100% duty cycle.

So, do you think my setup would be enough? Any recommendations on any better components? Im not against upgrading, just want to maximize my bang for buck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 AM
T-birdJunkie

2002 KJ Liberty 

This is relevant to my interests. I have a Viair 380c...Where'd you find the smittybilt tank for that cheap? Does it have 1/2" bungs? Cheapest so far is 48 bucks. Only 10 bucks, but 10 bucks is 10 bucks
post #3 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 05:43 AM
tjthorson

2013 JK Wrangler 

All i can add is - just think about whether you want to air up tires, or run tools, or both. If you just want to air up tires - dont use the tank. Ill have all 4 of my tires inflated by the time your compressor just gets the tank up to pressure. So, if you need both, work in some kind of tank bypass for when you just want to quick air up a tire. Just a thought.

And - since you like to make your own stuff like me.... People crack up when I just hook up and air up or down all 4 at the same time... I have since changed this assembly to standard air lines, not the curly ones....

Todd Thorson
2013 JKU Gecko Green

post #4 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's an interesting set up! I have the ultimate tire deflation/inflation system... a teenager who likes to join me on the trails

OP - I wouldn't worry about a tank bypass if you are using a pressure switch and plan to just let the system be powered any time the ingition switch is on. One thougt though - if you go that route, also add a switch to shut the system off from the cab if need be (if you're forced to enter a water crossing, or if a line gets ripped or some other leak). I think with the dual compressors you're idea should work fine if you can find a place to mount everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 AM
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

or convert your ac...

or get a york

engine driven compressors will outperform electrics any day of the week, and since your going through all the trouble to actually plumb your system with a pressure switch and everything, no going with a engine driven compressor is silly imho, but I am a bit biased.

also I would get a cheaper regulator, I dont even run one because I want as much air to my tires as I can, my pressure switdh is a 115 on 145 off. But on that same token expect to pay more for things Like air hose and fittings, remember each hose takes two fittings.

Harbor freight is a great place for air hose and cheap air fittings.

all this being said, I think you got a great plan, certianly out of the box with using 2 mv50's

Eagle scout jeeper #10

The Things We Make, Make Us
post #6 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

here's a writeup I did on my sanden oba, having a 06 your compressor is in a different location, but the principle is the same none the less.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...en-oba-959445/

Eagle scout jeeper #10

post #7 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 AM
JerseyDoug
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Based on what was discussed in a similar thread I started, I don't think you can run air tools off a Viair (or similar) system.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2016 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
That's an interesting set up! I have the ultimate tire deflation/inflation system... a teenager who likes to join me on the trails

OP - I wouldn't worry about a tank bypass if you are using a pressure switch and plan to just let the system be powered any time the ingition switch is on. One thougt though - if you go that route, also add a switch to shut the system off from the cab if need be (if you're forced to enter a water crossing, or if a line gets ripped or some other leak). I think with the dual compressors you're idea should work fine if you can find a place to mount everything.
I wouldnt have it "always on" with the ignition. The dash switch will be wired to an ignition source but only on when the switch is turned on. So you guys think the 2 MV50s will work well even though theyve only got a 20% duty cycle? How do you think it would compare to the ViAir Ultra Duty? I was really disappointed with ViAir's low CFM. How long do you think the 2 MV50s would take to get a 2.5 gal tank to pressure?
post #9 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2016 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDoug View Post
Based on what was discussed in a similar thread I started, I don't think you can run air tools off a Viair (or similar) system.
Well if thats the case, you guys have got me thinking, why even bother with the regulator and tank? Would 2 MV50s give me enough time to air up all 4 35s on a 20% duty cycle?
post #10 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 AM
tjthorson

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
Well if thats the case, you guys have got me thinking, why even bother with the regulator and tank? Would 2 MV50s give me enough time to air up all 4 35s on a 20% duty cycle?
Im not sure on that compressor you are talking about - but i installed just one of these and run it to fill all 4 of my 33s from 12 back up to 27psi and never had it thermal shutdown on me. I dont have a tank - just a 4 way manifold with that viair shutoff switch, wires to a relay and switch on the dash to turn it on. It stays under my hood, exposed to year round temps and dirt, including Chicago salty winters. I mounted it to the tray underneath the master cylinder with a quick disconnect and I keep the manifold, regular, hose assembly in the back under the seat.

12 Volt, 150 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

Todd Thorson
2013 JKU Gecko Green
post #11 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen a guy inflate his 31"s with no issues with his mv-50, there tough little compressors for sure

I also know alot of guys will tap the outputs to be a regulard 1/4"npt fitting so they can use there standard airlines from home and such.

but yea in my opinion, either get the mv-50's and have a great tire only setup that will work, or build an engine driven system that will work for anything.

Eagle scout jeeper #10

post #12 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 AM
jgorm
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2 MV50s (150max psi, 2.54cfm, 20% duty cycle) - $120 (for both)
ViAir Pressure Switch Relay (90on 120off) - $20
ViAir 0-150psi regulator (0-150) $24
On/Off Dash switch - $4
Smittybilt 2.5 Gal Tank - $37
Assorted Fittings/Wire and tubing - $25

total: $230
did you copy my system It will be a bit before i can get it installed because i want to do the front fender lift before i mount them on the abs tray. I'm going to hard plumb them to the tank with some copper. Those suckers shoot out air as hot as fire and my last system would turn my regular air hose into jelly. I'm mounting the tank by the drivers rear flare. It fits above the frame with my low-pro re-welded mounts. My viair 400c has the exact same flow rating as the mv50 at 0 psi, and even looks identical. Here is the viair rating.

I expect dual mv50s to be double these numbers. 5 cfm at 0 psi and 2 cfm at 120 psi is getting damn near belt driven compressors. I never understood why people would want to run air tools off a jeeps compressor. This setup would run some smaller impact wrenches, but i never will bother. On the trail i could spend a minute extra to not have to lug out air tools. At home i hook up to the big time compressor.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, that $230 would get me a long ways towards getting a York-based OBA system running. York F210 compressors put out 7-8 CFM and only sell for $30-35 at your local junk yard.

And regarding the use of an air tank, they do significantly speed how fast you air your tires up if your compressor is not one of those toy low-CFM compressors that take way too long to refill Jeep size tires. My York would fill up my air tank in 10-15 seconds if the tank were empty, which was just the amount of time it took me to plug my air hose in and get to the first tire. But my OBA system would literally hold air for weeks, if not a month, so in reality it rarely needed more than a second or two for the compressor to shut off indicating everything was fully up to pressure.

My York-based OBA system could refill all four 35x12.50 tires from 7-8 psi back up to 26 psi in under 5 minutes total. Not to mention running air tools on the trail if you ever have a big repair to contend with.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2016 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
did you copy my system It will be a bit before i can get it installed because i want to do the front fender lift before i mount them on the abs tray. I'm going to hard plumb them to the tank with some copper. Those suckers shoot out air as hot as fire and my last system would turn my regular air hose into jelly. I'm mounting the tank by the drivers rear flare. It fits above the frame with my low-pro re-welded mounts. My viair 400c has the exact same flow rating as the mv50 at 0 psi, and even looks identical. Here is the viair rating.

I expect dual mv50s to be double these numbers. 5 cfm at 0 psi and 2 cfm at 120 psi is getting damn near belt driven compressors. I never understood why people would want to run air tools off a jeeps compressor. This setup would run some smaller impact wrenches, but i never will bother. On the trail i could spend a minute extra to not have to lug out air tools. At home i hook up to the big time compressor.

Yeah I think youre the one who gave me the idea of the 2 MV50s in the other thread... I just started piecing everything together from there. After some thought, Im going to stick with the tank. I know Ill put the tank in the bed, probably up on one of the sides by the roll cage. Having an LJ makes a little more room for that. Not sure where Im going to put the pumps though. Either try to make room in the engine bay or maybe even up underneath in the rear. Ill have to wait and trial fit everything when I get back to the states.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
jgorm
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Having an LJ makes a little more room for that.
The LJs have enough room to mount the tank above the frame rails, under the rear drivers seat area. You have to redo the mounts, but that only takes a few minutes with a welder (and not much longer if you don't have one).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in