OFF ROADING TIPS? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-03-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
AKULARED

OFF ROADING TIPS?

I've just realized my dream of owning a Jeep, is there a site that can give me any info on off roading driving techniques?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-03-2002, 06:25 PM
evilpsych

well.. ther are several.. but here's the main keys ingredients to a successful off-road excursion

1. have recovery equipment (strap, come-along, winch(optional), gloves, shovel, etc..)
2. be aware of where your differentials are in relation to large trail rocks you are going over.
3. if you do not have lockers or quick disconnnects, be aware that lifting more than one tire off the ground at a time will more than likely get you stuck, (even if you have a positrac/limited slip).
4. going slow (in 4 low) over rocky terrain is better than Ironman Stewarting them..

there are many more, but it's pretty much common sense stuff that you will learn along the way. the gloves and the shovel come in handy for when you will ineveitably high-side your vehicle for digging it out and rolling large rocks into its path so you can get moving.

A hi-Lift jack is worth its weight in gold.

A
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So he wants to go OFF-ROAD does he????

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
post #3 of 15 Old 03-03-2002, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
AKULARED

Thanx for the info!!
one thing I wanted to know,
while i was off roading in the mud and rocks, i noticed that while riding through areally rocky patch i was playing with the clutch alot ( in and out constantly) in order to go slow enough not to shread my tires yet fast enough not to stall
how are the clutches in a stock TYs? can they handle that? or will I burn it?
is there a better method?
hey thanks again for your insight...

post #4 of 15 Old 03-03-2002, 08:45 PM
treedodger

Have you stalled your jeep in 1st gear, 4-low? it can be quite torquey at low speeds, even idle. Try it if you haven't already. If your jeep still isn't slow enough, maybe a regear or a slower transmission or transfercase should be investigated. Although a little clutch work is alright, feathering is bad for any clutch's life expectancey. If you can smell the clutch burning, you're doing something wrong.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-03-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
AKULARED

THANKS TREE
Yeah i gotta get the feel for it i guess- i was in 4 wheel high- i havent stalled yet i guess its the fear of stalling the had me feathering the clutch-
when should i use low as opposed to high?
i can feel the obvious diff but the manual said something about not using low for offroading use?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2002, 07:58 AM
ooze

whats really interesting is stalling while on a steep grade pointing up.
(gotta get my park brake fixed or grow another foot)
one safety tip is keep your thumbs out of the inside of the steering wheel.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2002, 04:25 PM
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by ooze:
(gotta get my park brake fixed or grow another foot)
Check this article out... its not Jeep specific, but applys to anyone with a manual tranny.

-Rob

Robert Gorrell
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2002, 07:21 PM
kegmaster

get a BIG front bumper and hit anything that gets in your way or you cant turn around...Rob? Agree?
post #9 of 15 Old 03-04-2002, 09:13 PM
ooze

hmm.. i've done that to get me to the fuel station after running out of gas. my wife thought i was nuts. but it kept her from having to push me, hehe.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-04-2002, 09:54 PM
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by kegmaster:
get a BIG front bumper and hit anything that gets in your way or you cant turn around...Rob? Agree?
I definitely agree Nothing helps cover up bad driving better than 1/4" plate steel bolted to the front of your rig I've even used mine to move the occasional Honda out of my parking spot or remove wandering animals from our state roads

-Rob

-Rob

Robert Gorrell
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.

-
post #11 of 15 Old 03-05-2002, 11:29 AM
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Let remind our new friend that, if you can't make it up a steep hill, TURNING AROUND is NOT usually the right thing to do. Back it down slowly, or you might be roll'n, roll'n, roll'n . . . and break off those nice sideview mirrors.

Also, anytime 4-high is too fast at idle, use 4-low. Even on pavement, 1st gear idle would take a long time to mess up your x-case.

'82 Scrambler - NV4500/4.5" lift/33" Toyo MTs/4.0/twin stick, OX Locker and my windshield washers work! Full 1/2 cab Cage

2014 Harley FLHP Police Road King

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"
post #12 of 15 Old 03-05-2002, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
AKULARED

Thanx Brudduhas
Thats all really great info that i'll take to heart, i know that experience is the best teacher, but im stoked to know that i have some brothers in mud out there if i get stuck..
thanks again!!
post #13 of 15 Old 03-05-2002, 03:59 PM
treedodger

Brothers in mud? Is that all? Don't forget brothers in rocks, roots, snow, asphalt, sand, gravel, and wherever else your jeep might try to take you. Then there are the jeepchicks too-sisters in mud??? I dunno
post #14 of 15 Old 03-12-2002, 09:11 AM
BaileyTJ

here is a link

"If you don't plan, you plan for failure"
post #15 of 15 Old 03-12-2002, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
AKULARED

THANKS FOR THE LINK
IT HAS SOME GREAT INFORMATION
THANKS AGAIN BRUDDAHS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in