2Likes
  • 1 Post By V8GCZJ
  • 1 Post By Ralph77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-21-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OBD II scanner recommendations?

I'm looking to buy a decent scanner for under about $200.00.

Any one have recommendations..... or "stay the heck away froms" ?

2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Auto [no ABS] Stock. 213000 miles runs like a champ. Daily driver.

If I can get it to hang together for another 100000 I'll be done with buying anything new [no one makes anything I want anyway], since retirement I'm only doing about 7000mi per year. Figure that would get me about 15 more years and unless I Vapor Lock before then or it does....it'll be close to when I should probably think about handing in my keys.

Haven't had an issue, or thrown a code in several years. Great upkeep and maintenance. So looking for something that has some features that will let me monitor operating conditions and "get there before it breaks".

Last edited by Michaelj51; 10-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 PM
NoCheapJeeps

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I'm dubious about most consumer grade OBDII scanners/software. I have a decent one that pulled no codes before I brought my Jeep to the dealership and they pulled a number of codes directly related to an electrical issue.

I've used both the cheap ELM327 plug-ins and higher-end handheld units and had mixed results. I suppose if I had to grudgingly offer a recommendation it would be an ELM327 plug-in and an app like Torque on Android. I don't know Apple apps so I have nothing there.

True Pro grade equipment costs though perhaps your American market is better then ours up here.

Jeep - Because no one ever grew up dreaming of a Ford Escape...
post #3 of 10 Old 10-24-2019, 05:14 PM
V8GCZJ

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have an Android phone but my home computer is a Mac. Also have limited phone/data coverage where I live. Any issues with that for operation/updates??

Obviously an Analog guy trying to navigate a digital world.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm interested in getting some more information about this if you have it. I have a scanner now but it doesn't read much more then my 2001 Wrangler reads when I flip the key forward and back a few times.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #6 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Awhile back I picked up a Launch Creader VI for $30 off Newegg. Seems like a nice little scanner. Stores Freeze Frame info and shows live data.
Not that I have a clue as to how to interpret it though. LOL.
The reason I went with this one was cause I found a YouTube video of a guy demonstrating it.
With an '00 XJ. What more could you ask for. MLOL.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796378640.html

So it appears they don't make them anymore but it does look like it is available from that Chinese site. I would not get it from there.
Guessing this is the new and improved version.

https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-CReade.../dp/B07DXM9MJX

One of the garages that is a customer of the store has this little Mac Tool Scanner. I swear it looks just like mine. Probably a rebranded Launch. They paid $100 for theirs.

So something else I started to play with was this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...orumconvert-20

Used in conjunction with a 2nd generation iPad and the OBD Fusion app. I have not played with it enough to know for sure but think it will do what I want it to do.
This is more for a long trip want to keep an eye on things when I am driving reason.
Frankly I just wanted a new toy to play with. EMLOL.
And the reason I went with an older iPad is cause I have this iSimple device that lets me play music through the factory radio with my 160GB iPod. Well to not have 2 devices my goal is to play music from the iPad and keep an eye on things when I am driving.

As I said haven't played with it much mostly cause I have to buy something to mount the iPad to view it when driving.
Ross likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info Ralph.
Some of the issues I'm trying to sort out with the different Bluetooth/WiFi units;
I have an Android phone so that should work with the Bluetooth models?

There is very spotty cell coverage where I live and only a few spots where wifi is available.

I have an iMac as a home computer with hardline/landline DSL.

I suspect(?) that the bluetooth android would be the better choice for me as BT is not dependent on Internet Connection?

Oh Heck I'm so stuck in an Analog world I'm not sure I really get the details of BT vs WiFi......

I'm looking to be able to use/employ it where there is no Cell/Internet connectivity just a dedicated Phone/Tablet and the OBD sending device. Is this Possible?
[I understand that I will have to connect to the internet initially to download the app for the phone/tablet, but after that initial download/install will they talk to each other 100 miles south of Katmandu [or on Lopez Island]?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelj51 View Post
Thanks for the info Ralph.
Some of the issues I'm trying to sort out with the different Bluetooth/WiFi units;
I have an Android phone so that should work with the Bluetooth models?

There is very spotty cell coverage where I live and only a few spots where wifi is available.

I have an iMac as a home computer with hardline/landline DSL.

I suspect(?) that the bluetooth android would be the better choice for me as BT is not dependent on Internet Connection?

Oh Heck I'm so stuck in an Analog world I'm not sure I really get the details of BT vs WiFi......

I'm looking to be able to use/employ it where there is no Cell/Internet connectivity just a dedicated Phone/Tablet and the OBD sending device. Is this Possible?
[I understand that I will have to connect to the internet initially to download the app for the phone/tablet, but after that initial download/install will they talk to each other 100 miles south of Katmandu [or on Lopez Island]?
I tried to research this. With the Apple devices, might just be the older ones, it appears that Bluetooth was not an option. Some proprietary Apple crap I think.
Cause despite the 2nd gen iPad being as old as it is it still has Bluetooth. So to be on the safe side I went with the WiFi one. For all I know it would have worked.

Now my understanding is also with Android stuff you can use and want the Bluetooth.

Your statement "There is very spotty cell coverage where I live and only a few spots where wifi is available." I don't think I understand.
You don't need WiFi from a provider. These devices emit their own signal, WiFi or Bluetooth depending on which one you buy, to connect with whatever device you are using.

But you also need the App for the device to use it. Some are free and some cost money.
Kind of looks like free ones will only give you the number for the CEL and not much more. You can do more with the ones you pay for. But it is also limited to what it can do by your vehicle. Chances are you can see much more with a newer car, cause like everything in a car is computerized, then you could in an older Jeep. Same goes for a hand held scanner that you can plug in. Even a fancier one that will graph live data. It can only show you info it can retrieve from the computer in the car.

I went with the OBD Fusion for 3 reasons. One I found this video, pretty good one actually, of a guy setting it up. Second I believe that this was one of the recommended apps for the Wifi device I bought. And third it works with my iPad.

Hey I am old too. Hell I did not buy my first computer until about 11 years ago. I don't even own a fancy phone. Little kids have better phones then me. Mine doesn't even take pictures. And I am OK with that. LOL.

But I built my own computer about 9 years ago that I still have today and with the internet I can research stuff. While I may not entirely understand everything about what I am researching at least I can educate myself to a degree.

And that is my disclaimer for all I typed above. MLOL.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Ralph this info helps.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I use:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...scanners&pos=1

Works fine for me, and I've used it on multiple vehicles. I've had it for a few years now. It is nice to be able to clear codes after I've done the repair to see if it comes back or not. Seems like I've been chasing a lot of codes lately, and it has more than paid for itself. I try to remember to carry it with me when on trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Bosch scan tool.jpg  

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in