Nitro vs Hydro - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Queticon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nitro vs Hydro

Searched this forum for 'nitrogen' and 'nitro'. Empty.

So I'll ask.

It's my understanding that nitrogen shocks ride worse than hydraulic shocks. It's also my understanding that nitrogen shocks are the choice for off-road as they will not cavitate as will hydraulic shocks. But it's also my understanding that will only occur if you are at the extreme end of off-roading. Is this still a concern for the weekend warrior (or maybe once-a-month warrior) that spends most of its time on the street?

I currently have OME Nitro shocks. They are old so I can't say they would be a good benchmark. They were old when I bought them. That said, the ride is fine for me. Just a few steps up from a tractor and I'm ok with that. Will hydraulic shocks have a smoother ride? Enough to notice?

No matter where you go...
There your Jeep is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 03:19 PM
K0LCB

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Shocks act to dampen bumps. If you have a lot of bouncing, changing shocks will help

L. C. AKA LEONARD
Itís a Jeep thing
post #3 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Queticon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Shocks act to dampen bumps. If you have a lot of bouncing, changing shocks will help
um. yes. but my question is a bit more specific regarding nitrogen charged vs. hydraulic.

It's a jeep. It will bounce. My flab can attest to that. I would prefer my flab have the least amount of bounce. Yet I want my vehicle to still be capable off road.

No matter where you go...
There your Jeep is.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have plain old hydraulic shocks on my trail riding Jeeps, and gas shocks on my street Jeeps. The gas shock have a firmer ride.

Buy some decent quality hydraulic shocks and they will ride just fine. DeotschTech, and BDS make good hydraulic shocks that don't cost a great deal.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-30-2019, 07:45 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have nitro's on my YJ and WJ and they work great on and off road. When looking at shocks the one thing you want to look at is the valving. If the valving is not closely matched to your springs you will have either a harsh ride or one that is to soft. Is your jeep lifted, give us some more info.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-31-2019, 02:26 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queticon View Post
um. yes. but my question is a bit more specific regarding nitrogen charged vs. hydraulic.
It really depends on the shock. Rancho's old hydraulic RS5000 rides FAR MORE stiffly than my previous gas-charged OME Nitrochargers or Rancho RS5000x shocks which were also gas charged.

To me, the OME Nitrocharger and Rancho RS5000x shocks are some of the best riding, overall, aftermarket shocks around. It takes a custom valved and more expensive shock to outdo either.

Too bad OME replaced the great riding Nitrochargers with the current Nitrocharger Sports which ride much more stiffly.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in