Newbie, Day 2 - How hard is it to put on side steps I'm NOT a mechanic! - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kruzin
  • 1 Post By jburer
  • 1 Post By jtec
  • 1 Post By biffgnar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
candy1land
2018 JK Wrangler 

Newbie, Day 2 - How hard is it to put on side steps I'm NOT a mechanic!

Ok so last night I achieved a life long dream and jumped off the cliff and bought my first Jeep. 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK - Rhino (SO AWESOME). I've never owned a Jeep before but I already understand the acronym of Just Empty Every Pocket. LOL

The first thing after all weather mats I want to add is side rails but I'm nervous about how difficult they might be to install?

So - how hard is it? And any suggestions on a great place to order them? They are everywhere but I want quality and the right fit.

I'm going to hit up YouTube as well but I'm not super strong and don't have a ton of power tools laying around so before I go all DIYer please let me know what I'm in for?

Thanks for being patient with such a NEWBIE!!!

"Still breathing in the new car smell, can't believe she's MINE"

Candace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

It depends on what type you get. Looking just at Quadratec, they list 84 different side steps that will fit your Jeep. Most will be in the "intermediate, Level 2 (of 5)" difficulty, some take more work than others.
Plug in your year/model at the top of this page and see what's available. Most have downloadable instructions you can check out and see if you think you can handle it.
https://www.quadratec.com/categories...ion/side_steps
candy1land likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 06:48 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You would do a LOT better asking this in the of the other JL (not JK) guys, the forum for the 2018+ Wranglers.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 AM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You would do a LOT better asking this in the of the other JL (not JK) guys, the forum for the 2018+ Wranglers.
They do sell 2018 JKs.

Life is short, Play hard.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 AM
jburer

Everybody is a newbie at some point - welcome!
candy1land likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Ah, Don, He said he bought an 18 JK. 2018 is a split production year, producing both JK's and JL's. Why would he want to ask in the JL forum.

Anyways, to answer your question, most of the rails available are simple bolt on and can be done with ordinary hand tools / metric socket set.

Look at what you like, download the installation instructions to see if it's something within your skill set and then go order them.

Most of the time, they are fairly easy, the difficult part is some can be heavy or awkward to handle by 1 person.

I have something very close to these. https://www.extremeterrain.com/barri...k-j100746.html

They pretty much used existing holes and nutserts to mount to. I have pulled mine and reinstalled them several times and I can do a side in about 10 minutes. a 10mm gear wrench and a 15mm socket is all I need.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 09:07 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

join a jeep club - someone will pay a visit to make fun of the newbie and give assistance...

aND Someday you can reciprocate.
candy1land likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 09:10 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Ah, Don, He said he bought an 18 JK. 2018 is a split production year, producing both JK's and JL's. Why would he want to ask in the JL forum.

Anyways, to answer your question, most of the rails available are simple bolt on and can be done with ordinary hand tools / metric socket set.

Look at what you like, download the installation instructions to see if it's something within your skill set and then go order them.

Most of the time, they are fairly easy, the difficult part is some can be heavy or awkward to handle by 1 person.

I have something very close to these. https://www.extremeterrain.com/barri...k-j100746.html

They pretty much used existing holes and nutserts to mount to. I have pulled mine and reinstalled them several times and I can do a side in about 10 minutes. a 10mm gear wrench and a 15mm socket is all I need.
He? How many dudes named Candace have you met?

OP, where are you located? People here on JF often willing to help out. I know I've helped with several lift kit installs for new owners who live near me. Or the recommendation about finding a local club is a good one also. They can help you with work and help you start to take it off road.
candy1land likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 02:00 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Aw crap. Fat fingered that one.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #10 of 14 Old 04-14-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
candy1land
2018 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for the info! I appreciate your help!
post #11 of 14 Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
candy1land
2018 JK Wrangler 

Correct - I bought a 2018 JK Wrangler Unlimited. This is the last year of production on this body style.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-14-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
candy1land
2018 JK Wrangler 

They pretty much used existing holes and nutserts to mount to. I have pulled mine and reinstalled them several times and I can do a side in about 10 minutes. a 10mm gear wrench and a 15mm socket is all I need.[/quote]

Thank you for that. Yes I am a SHE...LOL. I bought Rough Country Nerf Bars, they arrived quickly. I am going to check alignment with my existing holes on the pinch rail. I believe these require some minor drilling. Is it ok to just drill holes in the pinch rail for these? No possible damage to the body, etc.... It calls for 1/4" holes for the pinch rail screws.

I always get nervous about drilling into the body of a car.

Thanks for the help. I hope to have these on this weekend in time for my birthday! : )
post #13 of 14 Old 04-14-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
candy1land
2018 JK Wrangler 

I'll definitely check out clubs next too. I need to start learning about these vehicles. I know very little but I am in love. I live in the Inland Empire so I'm POSITIVE there are clubs out here for sure.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-14-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
candy1land
2018 JK Wrangler 

This is what I ended up buying. I do not plan on sliding around on rocks but I do want a step to get up into this Jeep. My goal is to get it lifted at a later time when I recover from the sticker shock of buying it. : ) I'll post pics when I install. I am so excited.

http://www.roughcountry.com/rc-jeep-...s-rcj0764.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in