New Warn VR vs M8000 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 65 Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 PM
jamma007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm gonna add on to this. Anyone had any luck with the new qtec ones?

Check out my Build:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/buckley-build-thread-94-yj-1360395
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Oddball7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_in_MT View Post
Personally I view it like this. I'm buying the winch for a reason. It's not a decoration. I'd rather have the ability to do long sustained pulls and not need it than need it and not have it. I ordered the M8000.
I have the VR10000S, and would have to say it's far from just a decoration. Test pulls out to 80 feet five in a row (one after another) up the side of a hill, and did it well. This thing will get you out of a jam as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Oddball7; 05-07-2012 at 08:57 PM.
post #48 of 65 Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 AM
Brian_in_MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball7 View Post
I have the VR10000S, and would have to say it's far from just a decoration. Test pulls out to 80 feet five in a row (one after another) up the side of a hill, and did it well. This thing will get you out of a jam as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not saying the VR series is just for decoration. Many winches are, but I don't consider anything by Warn to be just decoration. I'm sure the VR is more than enough winch for many people. Bottom line though, is that even Warn says the M series is a better winch. VR series is basically entry level. You get what you pay for.

Don't take my word for it, call Warn.

post #49 of 65 Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Maybe its just me, but I feel like a winch purchase should be based on how you plan to wheel the jeep. There are two guys here in town, both of whom will probably never go out on the trails, that have 10k lb winches on their jeeps. Neither one is a Warn, but they got them cheap. I'm sure for what they'll use their rigs for that it's a fine purchase. Someone who goes out every weekend and to more serious places than the beach might feel better with something a bit higher quality. There just isn't a right or wrong answer. Some people use the "lower quality" brands and do some hardcore wheelin and other folks have never even used the winch so its a moot point.

Get the VR series and be happy with the saved money. Plus Warn customer service is superb.

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
post #50 of 65 Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Gregg79CJ7304

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamma007 View Post
I'm intrested in these as well.

Great minds think alike, but so do serial killers. Thanks.
post #51 of 65 Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Oddball7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamma007
I believe these units are not being shipped until may 31
post #52 of 65 Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

I want to resurect this thread because it relates exactly to my delima.

I have been researching winches for the last 48 hours and I am stuck between 3 options.

1) give in and buy a power plant 9500 or a Zeon 8s and spend over $1k-$1.5k
2) m8000s for $849
3) vr8000s for $729

I know I want synthetic rope, But warn charges $250 more for syn! Most others are asking $200 or less in most cases. Is the warn spydura line worth it? I could add rope later for $200 or less.

I have also been reading about some crazy deals, all seem to be around may/June last year. $377-$399 for a vr8000 (steel line), and $450-500 for the m8000 after rebates shipped! At that price I could get the steel line and add viking rope and still save!

Does warn tend to run annual promotions to get to these prices? I'm not finding anything close. I have PM's out to some vendor here on the forum, but was already quoted the $849 for the m8000s, which still isn't close to what I have been reading about.

Lastly, my choice...I live in Colorado and do mostly "expedition" wheeling. I avoid the big rocks when I can and just enjoy driving throughout the beautiful state. I would guess my winch would only be used in snow to get myself, but probably others unstuck. The power plant is attractive for the air compressor, but I could get a vr8000/m8000 and still add OBA and save. Which would you pick?

How have the vr's been holding up for those of you that went that route?
post #53 of 65 Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 AM
HappyTrails

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for resurrecting this thread. I'm in the market for a winch and am interested in which Warn winch to buy. I'm subscribing to this thread. Hope some more answers come in.

As for the OBA, I'd just install a separate OBA under the hood and save the $$ than buy the Warn PowerPlant winch. At least, if the OBA fails, you don't have to buy a new winch. Plus, a lot of front bumpers will not accept the PowerPlant (too large).

2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.
post #54 of 65 Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Thank you for resurrecting this thread. I'm in the market for a winch and am interested in which Warn winch to buy. I'm subscribing to this thread. Hope some more answers come in.

As for the OBA, I'd just install a separate OBA under the hood and save the $$ than buy the Warn PowerPlant winch. At least, if the OBA fails, you don't have to buy a new winch. Plus, a lot of front bumpers will not accept the PowerPlant (too large).
Great points. I am really leaning towards the vr8000-s. I just can't see myself using it but maybe 1x/year. I have had 2 jeeps, several 4x4 trucks, and a land rover. I haven't owned a winch with any of them, but I have wished I had one probably 4-5 times before. Only once have I had to be winched out where I needed it, but there have been a few cases in big snow storms where I have seen people in ditches and in a bad spot that I could help with if I had a winch. Plus I am setting my rig up to be more of an expidition/expoloring rig and a winch and OBA adds a few safety and security features when away from home.
post #55 of 65 Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
YWU

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the vr8000 on my TJ and my son has the vr10000 on his JK. Each has been used more than a dozen times. I have steel cable on mine. My son switched to synthetic. For occasional use, I like steel. I don't have to worry about UV damage or other issues while it sits on the spool. It's there and works when I need it. We found that gowarn.com has competitive prices and usually free shipping and/or wireless remotes. Based on your described usage, I think the vr8000 with steel would be the best value.
post #56 of 65 Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM
SubAtomicGenius

2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't know if I've added this to the thread yet, but I'd personally go with the M8000 vs the VR. Better motor, gears, line speed and electrical (ie. contactor).

Also one has to realize that the $540 (ball-park) M8000 is exactly the same as the $1600 (advertised price) 9.0RC "rock crawling" winch - except that it has a full-spool (9.0RC has a half-spool/line) and it is powdercoated black instead of red. With the M8000 you get more line and save $1000 for other mods and goodies.

Also, winches may be "rated" 8000lbs, 9000lbs, 9500lbs, etc. at a company's discretion - what it really comes down to is a proper planetary gear arrangement with a proper size electric motor and electrical system that can withstand the high-current and heat for a sustained pull.

Probably a moot point because I bought the 9.5CTI-S anyhow.
post #57 of 65 Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWU
I have the vr8000 on my TJ and my son has the vr10000 on his JK. Each has been used more than a dozen times. I have steel cable on mine. My son switched to synthetic. For occasional use, I like steel. I don't have to worry about UV damage or other issues while it sits on the spool. It's there and works when I need it. We found that gowarn.com has competitive prices and usually free shipping and/or wireless remotes. Based on your described usage, I think the vr8000 with steel would be the best value.
But you have to worry about rusting, binding, weight, and the risk of injury in the case of line failure. Everything else aside, I HATE having to respool the steel line as often as it needs it.

After some time spent with them, I would avoid the vr in lieu of the 9.5CTI. Pony up and buy a good winch the first time...it is THE most important pice of equipment on your vehicle. You can take a bone stock jeep, break the front axle shafts, flatten a couple tires, and with a reliable winch and a little know how, find your way to the end of any trail.

That said...I know so many of the people in here opt for the Chinese junk just because it costs $100 less and that extra hundred dollars would take away from the money they have allocated for their angry eyes headlight accents, so if you're going to be stingy, at least it has the Warn name.
post #58 of 65 Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM
YWU

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWU
Well... Yesterday I had an issue with my cable. I got a backlash loop on the spool which is going to require some effort to get undone. I'm sure there will be a significant kink in the cable. I'm ordering a synthetic line and rescind my prior comments regarding steel cable.
post #59 of 65 Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
SubAtomicGenius

2011 JK Wrangler 

All winches require tension/load in order to spool without damaging the cable - most of our modern material handling winches that we use have line spoolers that automatically perform this function. A cable can be badly damaged if it gets caught in a "V"-shape wrap and jams itself in under load. We've had to change plenty of cables out on our handling winches because of this effect. Same principle applies to towing/vehicle winches.

Generally, I like the steel winch lines for durability and length - but they are also more dangerous under load, prone to corrosion and kinking, and are heavy. Synthetic are light, prone to UV damage, fraying/wear, are not TOO dangerous when they break, yet are expensive and bulky. Just like everything else, there has to be a trade-off somewhere (until some new technology comes around).
post #60 of 65 Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 PM
revrnd

Now to 2015 any more updates? My nephew is in the market & is pondering the 2 for his TJ. It will be for occasional use. I had an 8274 on my pickup back in the 80s & used it 2 or 3 times a year. Never had any issues w/ the winch or the steel line.

I haven't looked a lot on line for him but here are the prices currently in the Great White North:

M8000 = $790 > $825 CDN

VR8000 = $620 > $680 CDN

(plus 13% tax)

I doubt ordering from the US would offer much savings as there is about a 30% premium for us when figuring in the exchange rate w/ the US green back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in