Need owner's manual for 1999 XJ--which one? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
XJkate
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Need owner's manual for 1999 XJ--which one?

I want to buy a manual for my 1999 Jeep Cherokee limited. I'm pretty new to car repair, so I'm looking for something a reference with information specific to my vehicle, especially diagrams. As far as I can tell, Jeep owner's manuals are not available online for free before 2004-ish, so I've been looking for a copy on eBay. Before I fork out the money, I have some questions:

1. Is there a difference between an "owner's manual," "factory service manual," and a "service repair manual?" (Remember, I'm a newbie, so be patient with me. ) If so, which one should I get? Oh, and I also saw some Jeep "repair manual bibles"--I'm assuming those are not made by Jeep. But would you recommend them over an owner's manual? What about Haynes manuals?

2. How specific do the books get regarding the model of the vehicle? For example, should I try to find a version that is specific to the limited model? I know I've already run into issues where my jeep has significant differences from sports (obviously), and it's kinda hard to find information online to help. But looking on eBay I haven't seen any manuals specific to a limited model.

3. What should I expect to pay? The service manuals are running at over $100, the owner's manuals around $15 or $20. I found a factory service manual for $15 in pdf form. Does that sound right?

Bleh, sorry for all the questions! I just don't want to order the wrong thing. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
XJkate
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Need owner's manual for 1999 XJ--which one?

I want to buy a manual for my 1999 Jeep Cherokee limited. I'm pretty new to car repair, so I'm looking for something a reference with information specific to my vehicle, especially diagrams. As far as I can tell, Jeep owner's manuals are not available online for free before 2004-ish, so I've been looking for a copy on eBay. Before I fork out the money, I have some questions:

1. Is there a difference between an "owner's manual," "factory service manual," and a "service repair manual?" (Remember, I'm a newbie, so be patient with me. ) If so, which one should I get? Oh, and I also saw some Jeep "repair manual bibles"--I'm assuming those are not made by Jeep. But would you recommend them over an owner's manual? What about Haynes manuals?

2. How specific do the books get regarding the model of the vehicle? For example, should I try to find a version that is specific to the limited model? I know I've already run into issues where my jeep has significant differences from sports (obviously), and it's kinda hard to find information online to help. But looking on eBay I haven't seen any manuals specific to a limited model.

3. What should I expect to pay? The service manuals are running at over $100, the owner's manuals around $15 or $20. I found a factory service manual for $15 in pdf form. Does that sound right?

Bleh, sorry for all the questions! I just don't want to order the wrong thing. Thanks in advance!
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Owners Manual explains which thingy is the light switch, and how to turn it on/off. I find them at the junkyard often.

A Factory Service Manual (FSM) explains with diagrams how to diagnose/test/remove/repair/rebuild/replace/adjust everything in and on your Jeep.

Spend $7.95 at www.PacificCoastManuals.com. Paper copies of the FSM run $50-150.

Haynes and Chilton's service manuals are worthless for anything more complicated than oil changes and brake jobs. They too generic, too incomplete, and have too many mistakes.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2016, 03:09 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Owner's manuals are the things in the glovebox. Tell you how to work the radio, the light switches, etc. You want a Factory Service Manual (FSM). That has all the detailed procedures for maintenance on the vehicle that would used by the service area of the dealership. FSM are specific to model and year in most cases. Other manuals (e.g Haynes) not very good when it comes to Jeeps.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the advice to go for a copy of the Mopar Factory Service Manual. Made specifically to cover each model year, they have complete details on how everything works and how to work on virtually every part of your XJ.

Avoid the cheap "shop" manuals like Chilton's or Haynes which cram multiple models and model years into one thin manual that isn't absolutely correct on many areas it tries to cover. They're ok for very basic things like changing brakes or spark plugs but that's about it.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
XJkate
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome, thank you so much!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
XJkate
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome, thanks so much, you guys. That is super helpful. So will there be a FSM specific to 1999 Cherokee limited (vs. sport, etc.)? Or does it not get that specific?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't get that specific, just get the Mopar FSM for a '99 Jeep Cherokee. The differences between models like the Limited and Sport are just cosmetic, and it covers all the various engines & transmissions used for that model year.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-03-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
XJkate
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds good. Thanks again!

Tags
diagram , manual , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in