Need to buy a tool set for my Jeep. Any recommendations? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
JockStrap

Need to buy a tool set for my Jeep. Any recommendations?

Would like to know what is a good tool set to buy to work on a 98 TJ. Any specific recommendations would be great that will cover the vast majority of engine/transmission work that I may have to perform. Let me know if it is worth buy cheap tools or if it is better to buy high quality tools. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 12:32 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought 200+ piece Craftsman mechanics tool set at their half price Christmas sale. Best money I've ever spent on tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 07:07 AM
Shadowline

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tough question in reality. I'll give you my best answer.
1: buy life time warranty tools -- Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky, Snap-on, Mac, Cornwall, SK <--personal favorite.
2: Look at availability -- if you break a tool, do you wanna wait to track down a dealer ?
3: Be prepared to buy from different brands -- I would not recommend Torx sockets from any of the big box stores. SK or Snap-on impact Torx sockets ftw.
4: Watch for deals on Amazon, harryepstein.com, and even ebay.
5: what ever brand you get, make sure you get the best ratchets they offer. High tooth count makes a difference in confined spaces.
6: Try to get 6 point socket sets, less chance of rounding of nuts and bolts.
7: get a good 3/8 and 1/2 drive impact. The Dewalt DCF899P1 20V and the Milwaukee 1/2 Fuel are both great 1/2 hi-torque choices. For 3/8 look at the Milwaukee 3/8 Fuel
8: go join some of the tool focused forums. I personally enjoy garagejournal.com

2003 TJ 4.0 5-speed 31inch Goodyear Authority's, 2inch Rubicon Express Springs, Hella Vision Plus H/L's, IPF upgraded H/L wiring harness. JCR Offroad Stage 2 Frt Bumper with CocaCola Bottle opener, Smittybuilt XCR8 Winch, Rampage Bowless top.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On the trial I like cheaper tools with boxes where the tools are held in place. They don't rattle, it is easy to do a quick inventory to make sure you picked up all your tools and there cheap so if you do loose one no big deal.

I also like battery powered impact tools. I have a bigger Dewalt that I take with me. I also take a cheater bar (hi lift handle).

In the garage I have an assortment of Kobalt, Craftsman, Mac etc. I would buy higher end used hand tools as opposed to new ones of lessor quality.

Shadow line mentioned torx bit. It seems T-50 and T-55 are the most common for us. If you buy cheap ones buy allot of them. You can get away with cheap tools on the trail, and even in the garage. They won't always last as long or work as well but with a cheap Torx bit in will only be useable for a few uses.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #5 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 10:08 AM
pagrey
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I started with craftsman, they used to be good tools, they aren't worth the money these days. In Los Angeles I'd go with Harbor Freight/Pittsburgh (I can hear people getting their underwear in a bunch already). Lifetime warranty on all of their hand tools. I bought their combination wrenches, the chrome ones as trail tools and they have replaced all of my craftsman stuff. They are great, made in india or something. I use them hard and they are bulletproof.

I'd start with individual tools like this:
Item#42305 Metric combo
Item#69043 SAE combination
Item#62318 composite 3/8 ratchet - it blew me away too, fine tooth, long handle and lightweight in the trail box - replaced my craftsman ratchet and 3/8 breaker I used to carry.
Item#61285 metric 3/8 sockets 12pt
Item #61293 SAE 3/8 sockets 12pt
Item#61246 torx (star) bits, I have them and they take a breaker bar with out too much complaining.
Item#60819 1/2 breaker bar, get 1/2 sockets as you need them like one for your lug nuts.
You can probably find a coupon online to get a free screwdriver set with a purchase and if you buy each item on a separate trip you can get 20% each time (if you are really on a budget).

Do not buy small allen wrenches from HF, they are crap.

Sorry for the long list and all the part numbers, I wish somebody had given me the list a long time ago. Sets are a total waste of money for a blow molded case that takes up too much room. Snap-On and Matco are great but even the drivers will tell you they are way to expensive if you aren't making a living on them.

I have a Metabo grinder, I have a Milwaukee fuel impact driver, and I have HF hand tools. You have to know where to spend your money. HF really is the Craftsman of our time for hand tools.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagrey View Post
I started with craftsman, they used to be good tools, they aren't worth the money these days. In Los Angeles I'd go with Harbor Freight/Pittsburgh (I can hear people getting their underwear in a bunch already). Lifetime warranty on all of their hand tools. I bought their combination wrenches, the chrome ones as trail tools and they have replaced all of my craftsman stuff. They are great, made in india or something. I use them hard and they are bulletproof.

I'd start with individual tools like this:
Item#42305 Metric combo
Item#69043 SAE combination
Item#62318 composite 3/8 ratchet - it blew me away too, fine tooth, long handle and lightweight in the trail box - replaced my craftsman ratchet and 3/8 breaker I used to carry.
Item#61285 metric 3/8 sockets 12pt
Item #61293 SAE 3/8 sockets 12pt
Item#61246 torx (star) bits, I have them and they take a breaker bar with out too much complaining.
Item#60819 1/2 breaker bar, get 1/2 sockets as you need them like one for your lug nuts.
You can probably find a coupon online to get a free screwdriver set with a purchase and if you buy each item on a separate trip you can get 20% each time (if you are really on a budget).

Do not buy small allen wrenches from HF, they are crap.

Sorry for the long list and all the part numbers, I wish somebody had given me the list a long time ago. Sets are a total waste of money for a blow molded case that takes up too much room. Snap-On and Matco are great but even the drivers will tell you they are way to expensive if you aren't making a living on them.

I have a Metabo grinder, I have a Milwaukee fuel impact driver, and I have HF hand tools. You have to know where to spend your money. HF really is the Craftsman of our time for hand tools.

The pneumatic and electric tools I bought at HF have all failed. I have bought some hand tools from them and they have been fine.

post #7 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

With over 40 years turning wrenches I have some suggestions ...

1st - oh yeah I will get blowback on this one, A scanner- welcome to the 21century.
learning to use it will make you a valuable club member.

2nd - snap on - matco seam to get 'lost' more so than others - craftsman is a favorite
watch their sales.

3rd- harbour freight, there not where precision torque wrenches high utilization tools come from BUT your off road bag for sure,

4th - somewhere you will need to have an air compressor - garage?

5th - along with #4 is a tourch....heat is a great help removing old PIA components
post #8 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
one trick to get those torx type bolts loose and save a few bits. Is use a hand impact driver.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-30-2017, 07:56 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was a craftsman/snap on junkie for a long time; heck with them. Get a buttload of harbor freight stuff and just consider them disposable. Stolen, lost, whatever, don’t worry about going to sears or flagging down the truck to fill that empty slot in your perfectly aligned toolbox organizer, just go to HF and buy a whole set. Heck, buy three whole sets, they’re cheap. If somebody annoys you on the trail, just toss an extra wrench at them. Need to chop one in half or bend it to fit a troublesome bolt? Mangle away, it won’t hurt your feelings a bit. Somebody steals your whole tool bag out of the Jeep? HA-jokes on them.
Bevo1995 likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
one trick to get those torx type bolts loose and save a few bits. Is use a hand impact driver.
Any impact will help. If you can put pressure straight down on them they are less likely destroy themselves.

post #11 of 16 Old 12-01-2017, 11:31 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
true but the impact tool gives a bit of twist as well. Just a old school tip. low cost, need no air or power other than a hammer..
Ross likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #12 of 16 Old 12-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Tonyjohnson619
1995 ZJ 

Snap-on also sells blue point witch have the same warranty, made over seas and half the cost... but for the trail you can't go wrong with harbor frieght... like said before get a few top shelf ratchets it's worth it

On the trail I also carry a snap-on 18v 1/2in impact and there 14.4v 3/8in impact. Used to race dirt stock cars and the snap-on 1/2in gun blows the Milwaukee and Dewalt out of the water but you pay for it. Depending on where we going I also have a battery Sawzall that uses the same battery as the big impact
post #13 of 16 Old 12-09-2017, 04:05 PM
eddiebrs
2000 WJ 

Garage
This is hard to beat
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-270pc...-00912133000P#
I would start with something like this in the garage

Then do what pagrey and dwilliams said and hit up harbor freight for the tools that you keep in the truck

2000 WJ South Florida
post #14 of 16 Old 12-30-2017, 02:36 PM
AndyRooneysJKU
2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I just got the 301 piece mechanic tool set from Harbor Freight. For $139 after coupon, zero complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 Old 12-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll avoid the brand-name issue, just make sure you get both metric and SAE size tools. The TJ has pretty much an equal mix of both... mostly SAE on the drivetrain, mostly metric everywhere else. Also get a set of good quality torx bits up to the T-55 size which is very commonly not included in basic torx sets. The T-55 is heavily needed though for things like the bumper bolts so don't forget that one.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in