Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 229 - JeepForum.com
 140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3421 of 3448 Old 11-22-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Too cool - looking forward to more pictures!

Yeah; I finally settled on the 740lb 28" springs. I went from too light a spring (26" 575lb - became too soft after I added a bunch of stuff to the trailer), to too heavy (26" 850lb), and now I think I'm just right at 28" 740lb. Fortunately springs are cheap.

http://www.stengelbros.com/trailer-s...-leaf-springs/

And the shock absorber modification is also pretty cheap to do (shocks fall under "can't hurt; might help").

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3448 Old 01-21-2020, 04:19 PM
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Paul,
In case your March issue of Four Wheeler hasn't arrived yet...

NMBruce, profdlp, cranbiz and 2 others like this.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #3423 of 3448 Old 01-22-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Too cool! I haven't seen the issue yet in my mailbox, but I'll be on the lookout for it! Thanks!

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3424 of 3448 Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 AM
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Now that is very cool

2013 JKUR sold
2006 GX470
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
post #3425 of 3448 Old 01-28-2020, 08:39 PM
BikerEagle
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Spent the weekend cutting the fenders off, taking the 13" tires/wheels off, and mounting the 14" wheels /tires from my Winnie Drop(which now has 15" wheels/tires). Have a little over 2" in additional clearance as well as tires that are almost twice as wide.
Attached Images

post #3426 of 3448 Old 01-31-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Paul,
In case your March issue of Four Wheeler hasn't arrived yet...

Got my Four Wheeler magazine in the mail the other day. Very cool. Went to Walmart and bought a few extra copies (need to mail one to my 89 year-old Mom & Dad). I'll admit it; it's fun to see your Jeep & trailer in print.

But mine's not a poser - it gets used and driven hard! I literally put at least 10,000 miles on it this summer & fall, and slept in it at least 30 night (I wasn't counting, but I was gone longer than that). Right now it is parked in the corner of the shop waiting for our next great adventure. Now's the time to either be tweaking the trailer you've got (as in the post above this one - way to keep improving what you've got BikerEagle), or start a trailer project so come spring, you're ready for an adventure! This thread has most everything you need to know to get'r done - and lots of folks who will help you if you have a question.

My next adventure? I'm thinking of doing the Pacific Crest Overlanding Route running through Oregon from top-to-bottom. Supposedly takes about a week to do it right. I'm only a couple 2-3 hours from the start of the route. I'd be hard pressed to do it comfortably without my trailer; there's only so much gear you can put inside a Jeep TJ!

Check it out: https://expeditionportal.com/ovroute...regon-segment/

Trailer build:
post #3427 of 3448 Old 04-23-2020, 02:53 PM
Captbill

So my axle failed...

Had it done by Southwest Wheel. Found the spindles are BUTT WELDED to the pipe--they do not go into the axle pipe the nearly 4 inches like most do. I have a new one now, with 10" brakes 3500# custom made--hub face 55" 39" Spring centers. If the photo got attached-I am pulling the trailer back 25 miles on dirt road to a town my wife could get my pickup to with a brand new harbor freight trailer in the bed--so I could use the axle out of it to get home.

We made a crutch out of 2 steel road sign posts we found in a ditch--the post was worn all the way to the axle U-bolt when we got to the town.
Attached Thumbnails
02BD0A34-9BE5-49A4-9DFE-A11324A3A780.jpg  
07wurubi likes this.
post #3428 of 3448 Old 04-25-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. I'm trying to remember if that's where I got my 3500lb axle.

Great thinking on getting them both back to town.

Trailer build:
post #3429 of 3448 Old 04-26-2020, 09:45 AM
Captbill

Mine was not a 3500#--it was a 2000# Don't think you need to worry. I too now have the 3500.
post #3430 of 3448 Old 05-10-2020, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought & built my little trailer around the time of my second trip to Iraq (2010-ish). It was still pretty light back then, and could easily be pulled by my Willys if I wanted. Trailer was on 205/75/15" tires, and did not have electric brakes. First picture.

With a few modifications, it made a trip behind my TJ up to Canada and Alaska. I learned a few things, and started making further modifications afterwards (cooler tray, softer suspension...). Second picture.

Eventually I was able to purchase an aluminum diamond plate tub to put on the modified HF frame. It was still pretty light, and could be pulled by the Willys if I wanted to. Third picture.

But then I kept modifying it (was fun - it was a project). More stuff added to the trailer, larger tires (235/75/15"), 3500lb axle with electric brakes, RTT, etc. No regrets, and I'll probably always be tweaking it. But I reached a point where I figured I should put electric brakes on it to help even the TJ when pulling the trailer. Fourth picture.

But I figured the Willys was now out-of-the-question for pulling the trailer. The Willys was never wired for electric brakes, and it only had 11" drum brakes all around. But that's about to change.

What kind of changes?
Attached Thumbnails
Willys and trailer.jpg   Jeep in Atlin.jpg   Willys and new trailer front shot.jpg   Overland Adventure.2.jpg  
profdlp likes this.

Trailer build:
post #3431 of 3448 Old 05-10-2020, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm registered to attend the North West Overland Rally this September (2020 - I hope it doesn't get cancelled), and right after that I'll be leading an "Old-School" group to run the WABDR (WA Backcountry Discovery Route) from the OR border to the Canadian border. The WABDR will be a six-day, 600 mile trip, and it is for "Old-School" vehicles. Of course I plan on taking the Willys. So I've been trying to figure out how to take most everything I need for over a week (the NWOR and Old-School run) in the back of the Willys (behind the seat it measures 3' x 3'). And then I thought "It would be nice if I could take the trailer; maybe just pack it light". But the brakes aren't the greatest on the Willys. And the Willys isn't wired for electric brakes.

You think you don't have much space behind the seats of a TJ? You have a ton compared to what's behind the seats in an old flat-fender.

Fixed problem #1 - put disc brakes up front (Dana 25). It helps... some.

Problem #2 - wiring for electric brakes. I drilled a hole (five total; four little ones and one 2" diameter hole) in the back bumper to flush mount the 7-prong plug-in, and have a universal wiring kit from E-Trailer to wire the Willys for electric brakes (this'll be the 4th vehicle I've wired with this kind of kit). This week I'll wire-it-up, and we'll see if the Willys is up-to-the-task pulling (and stopping!) with the trailer. I'm not worried about going fast. Willys is kinda stock other than a 2.5" lift, 2000cc Pinto engine (80 HP vs. the factory 60 HP engine), factory 5.38 gears, T-90/Spicer 18 with Warn OD, 31" tires, etc., etc. It would sure make my life easier if the Willys and trailer can work together.

The tires on the trailer measure about two inches wider side-to-side outside measurement compared to the tires on the Willys, so close enough (both have a 52" wide axle). If I were running skinny old-school 6.5x15" or 16" tires on skinny rims on the trailer, it would be the same track width. Don't wanna do that.

This is another example of how a trailer (even one on a 4' HF frame) can help a little vehicle bring a lot more needed stuff on an adventure. Wish me luck (actually... wish the Willys luck). I'll post the results.

And another example of trying to be safe - you don't want the tail wagging the dog when pulling a trailer behind a very lightweight vehicle with marginal brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Disc brakes.1 (2).jpg   wiring.3 (2).jpg   wiring.4 (2).jpg   wiring.2 (2).jpg  

Trailer build:
post #3432 of 3448 Old 05-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Captbill

That is very cool. Tanks for sharing that.
post #3433 of 3448 Old 05-13-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And it worked out a lot better than I thought it would. The Willys pulled the trailer just fine (granted; the cooler and gas cans were empty), but more importantly, it stopped pretty good with the electric brakes helping out on the trailer. I got it up on the highway briefly, and it did ok at 55mph.

I would not have tried this without the trailer brakes. Someday I would love to do the TAT with the Willys and trailer. And thank-goodness; I was not looking forward to living out of the back of my Flatty for a week and a half. I'll still pack kinda light, but now I've got an additional almost 10 more gallons of gas I can carry, and a place to put the doors. Where am I going?

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums...y-route.31464/

Jeeps (and trailers) are meant for fun and adventure. What's your adventure?

This is the brake controller I've been using (I just move it between the truck, TJ, and now the Willys).

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...sha/90195.html

I do have one sorta failure with this though. See the last picture? I have a swing-away spare tire and Jerry can holder on the back of the Willys. And yup - get to about 45-degrees swinging open the carrier and it hits the ammo can in front of the cooler. I'm not extending the trailer's tongue anymore (it is long enough). I'll just have to live with it, or park the Willys with the trailer at an angle so I can fully open the spare tire carrier and drop the tailgate.
Attached Thumbnails
willys and trailer.3 (2).jpg   Willys and trailer.6 (2).jpg   Willys and trailer.7 (2).jpg  
07wurubi and profdlp like this.

Trailer build:
post #3434 of 3448 Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I mentioned earlier I am going to lead an overlanding run on the WABDR in September with the Willys and trailer. I just got back from pre-running this WABDR the other day with my TJ and trailer. This was six days of beating the crap out of the Jeep and trailer with constant bouncing (serious trailer and Jeep suspension abuse!). Seven vehicles started out; three of us finished it. It was fun but exhausting.

However, on the last day, near the end of the off-pavement portion, we found out one of my trailer's leaf springs (all three springs in the pack) broke right behind the axle (and the tire was resting on the fender helping to trim it a bit). So after removing the shock, we put a piece of fencepost one of the other guys was carrying between the spring and the frame, and I ratchet strapped them together. The other spring is flattened out and probably doesn't have much life left in it. I aired both tires down to 10 PSI (so they were now the suspension - at least 100% on the one side), and we finished the route.

Once done, I aired them back up to 20 once on pavement, and drove it home without issues (about 300+ miles; basically from the Canadian border and almost straight down to the WA/OR border, then home). Route 97 near Nighthawk all the way down to I-84 in OR, then west on I-84 to 205, and then north on 205 to I-5 to my exit in Longview WA (if you're from this area). Trailer did fine.

I'll be ordering two more spring packs to replace these ones I have, but am thinking of some sort of bump-stops to put in there so the springs don't over-flex. They have a 4.25" arch to them, and if they were to flatten out, there's still a few more inches of space for them to keep flexing between the axle and frame before they would hit the frame, so I don't know if that helped to kill them or not. Like I said; these springs were worked hard to the point of failure. We were probably driving too fast for the trail conditions (exacerbating the problem), and I probably should have had my trailer's tire pressure lower than I was running from the beginning of the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
WABDR.1 (2).jpg   trailer spring broke.2.jpg   Trailer spring broke.1.jpg  

Trailer build:
post #3435 of 3448 Old 06-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Captbill

WOW! Thanks for sharing that---since I've already been through a broken axle and survived, wondered what I'd do about a broken spring. I have the #725's on each side, I know I am close to their limits. Best to you!
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in