Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - Page 226 - JeepForum.com
 124Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3376 of 3407 Unread 09-29-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Longview, WA (one hour north of Portland, OR)
Posts: 3,803
Shock mount instructions (including parts list, pictures, etc.) are on pages 141 & 142 in this thread. This is the way I did it anyways, not saying it is the only way. But it works well with these HF-type trailers with the C-channel frames and 1.75" wide springs (using the early Jeep spring/axle mounting plates with the lower shock mounts). And is an easy totally bolt-on affair.

downs likes this.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
armyRN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3377 of 3407 Unread 10-01-2019, 09:56 AM
downs
Registered User
 
downs's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Hunt County
Posts: 490
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Shock mount instructions (including parts list, pictures, etc.) are on pages 141 & 142 in this thread. This is the way I did it anyways, not saying it is the only way. But it works well with these HF-type trailers with the C-channel frames and 1.75" wide springs (using the early Jeep spring/axle mounting plates with the lower shock mounts). And is an easy totally bolt-on affair.
How do you locate your rear mount for the shackle? I assume it should have a rearward angle like the shackles on the rear of a Jeep. But I'm no trailer building expert. Next payday I'll be ordering the springs and shackles/mounts next payday. Those slipper springs are stiff as all get out. That combined with the lightweight of the trailer and it'll easily launch a good foot in the air when hitting a pothole.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
downs is offline  
post #3378 of 3407 Unread 10-01-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Longview, WA (one hour north of Portland, OR)
Posts: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by downs View Post
How do you locate your rear mount for the shackle? I assume it should have a rearward angle like the shackles on the rear of a Jeep. But I'm no trailer building expert. Next payday I'll be ordering the springs and shackles/mounts next payday. Those slipper springs are stiff as all get out. That combined with the lightweight of the trailer and it'll easily launch a good foot in the air when hitting a pothole.
Mine used to go airborne before I swapped out the slipper springs. When I was first swapping out the springs, I had one new spring on one side, and the slipper still on the other. I got in the trailer and bounced it a bit and looked at each side. The one with the new spring and shackle you could feel the trailer going up-and-down, and you could see the shackle's angle changing. When I bounced on the slipper spring side... nothing.

At a minimum, with the 28" springs, measure 28" back from where the front of the springs mount so the shackle would be straight down when unloaded. That way when there's weight on the springs (tires are on the ground), they're angled back a bit. You could go up to a half-inch further (say... 28.5") if you're going to be packing the trailer heavy. Mine is at 28.5", and still the shackles are angled back a little bit at rest when loaded (and my trailer is usually kept fairly well loaded - gotta keep that gear somewhere when not in use).

This is based on the spring mounts I recommended earlier in this thread linked below (don't pay attention to the measurements written on the masking tape - I made changes after the picture was taken). Probably the hardest part of this is making sure you know where you want your axle to be (here is where masking tape is your friend, and an angle square). Getting rid of the slipper springs is one of the best things I did with this trailer.

Parts list:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...l#post32123674
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer suspension mounted up.1.jpg  
downs likes this.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
armyRN is offline  
 
post #3379 of 3407 Unread 10-03-2019, 04:54 PM
shelbamazing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Garage
Army do you by chance have the part number of the bushing you bought for the 28" springs? I'm having a hard time getting ahold of them to order and their website sucks for looking for them!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
shelbamazing is offline  
post #3380 of 3407 Unread 10-03-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Longview, WA (one hour north of Portland, OR)
Posts: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbamazing View Post
Army do you by chance have the part number of the bushing you bought for the 28" springs? I'm having a hard time getting ahold of them to order and their website sucks for looking for them!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
These are what I used. I ordered them from Amazon though. Got there quick. But they are not the right size for the shackle mount that's attached to the frame (hopefully they come with the shackle mounts).

https://sdparts.com/i-24118154-energ...content=Brands

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
armyRN is offline  
post #3381 of 3407 Unread 10-05-2019, 08:28 PM
shelbamazing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Garage
Got the suspension bolted and tacked in today! Also got the walls started! Have to make another run to menards to pick up more 1x6s for the walls. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the other 2 walls done and the floor done (2x6s)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
profdlp and downs like this.
shelbamazing is offline  
post #3382 of 3407 Unread 10-06-2019, 03:04 PM
shelbamazing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Garage
Well got the other 2 walls cut and mounted up! I got one of the side brackets installed (the 6' sides are going to have 2 side supports and front will have 1) but my drillbit broke so I'll have to go pick up a couple more before I can finish the supports. I also decided to pick up a special bit to recess the nut and washer Inside the board a little bit to fix a fitment issue I'm having in the corners.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
shelbamazing is offline  
post #3383 of 3407 Unread 10-06-2019, 03:57 PM
profdlp
Registered User
2007 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westlake
Posts: 222
Looks good! I did get a laugh (at myself) when I first glanced at this. I thought, man - he's going all-out, he even stained the floor. Then I realized that I was looking at the table you are building it on.
shelbamazing likes this.
profdlp is offline  
post #3384 of 3407 Unread 10-06-2019, 04:00 PM
shelbamazing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Looks good! I did get a laugh (at myself) when I first glanced at this. I thought, man - he's going all-out, he even stained the floor. Then I realized that I was looking at the table you are building it on.
Funny! I do have stain for the walls and floor! Just waiting on that! I didnt get a pic with the floor in sadly. Taking the pic was an afterthought lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
profdlp likes this.
shelbamazing is offline  
post #3385 of 3407 Unread 10-08-2019, 06:00 PM
shelbamazing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Garage
Got the walls stained and floor put in place for a couple pics today! It's slowly coming together!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
profdlp and downs like this.
shelbamazing is offline  
post #3386 of 3407 Unread 10-08-2019, 08:10 PM
downs
Registered User
 
downs's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Hunt County
Posts: 490
Garage
Nice gives me ideas to do walls that dont involve stake pockets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
downs is offline  
post #3387 of 3407 Unread 10-14-2019, 07:28 AM
jscherb
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 11,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
...I will be participating in the Four Wheeler Overland Adventure East 2019 in October (2019), then will be at the Overland Expo East right after that in Arrington, VA. I'll be parked where the Four Wheeler Overland Adventure participants are parked (wherever that will be). Come look me up if you're attending. I'll be there with the Jeep and trailer (which has an extremely small minimal amount of welding on the frame).
Paul,
Great to meet you (finally) at Overland East! You've done a great job on your trailer and you continue to do a great job helping people in this thread. Your trailer is very impressive to see in person, the photos don't do it justice...













I hope the rest of your long trip goes well.
jeff

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
jscherb is offline  
post #3388 of 3407 Unread 10-17-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Longview, WA (one hour north of Portland, OR)
Posts: 3,803
Thanks Jeff. It was nice to finally meet you. You're famous on this thread for posting how to take a 4x8 foot HF trailer frame and narrow and shorten it to make it more Jeep and trail friendly (which a lot of folks have done for their trailer projects). I'm currently running the famous Route 66 from Chicago to southern CA.
Attached Thumbnails
20191017_122303_1571362544687.jpg  
downs likes this.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
armyRN is offline  
post #3389 of 3407 Unread 10-29-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Longview, WA (one hour north of Portland, OR)
Posts: 3,803
If you know me, you know I have a flat-fender Jeep. I like the old stuff. And if you're into Jeeps at all, you've heard about the Roxor. Basically the Roxor is an early CJ-5 looking "jeep" with a small diesel engine, leaf sprung solid axles, etc. Too bad they're sold as a side-by-side and aren't street legal - they wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand if they were street legal.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

Anyways; Roxor now has a little trailer they sell to go along with their little "jeep" (middle picture) but of course could be used behind any vehicle:

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/accesso...743b3-42084149

Kinda nice; solid axle with leaf springs, electric brake compatible, does have a drop-down tailgate... check it out. Simple trailer, and the tub is only 59" long (nice for rough terrain - not a lot of overhang).

But the base price of the trailer (without a spare tire) is $4750. You can build a nice little trailer for a lot less using the info from this trailer thread. Fall is here, time for you to start a trailer project if you haven't already.

And that's Mrs. armyRN in the Willys. And the trailer being pulled behind my TJ is just a modified HF trailer frame with an aluminum box bolted to it, with a bunch of stuff bolted to the frame and tub. Easily replicated for a lot less than $4750, and you can build it the way you want to build it. Lots of ways to make a little HF trailer frame into a Jeep trailer that works for you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160827_182741.jpg   Roxor trailer.jpg   Overland Adventure.2.jpg  
downs likes this.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
armyRN is offline  
post #3390 of 3407 Unread 11-04-2019, 08:54 PM
jscherb
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 11,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
If you know me, you know I have a flat-fender Jeep. I like the old stuff. And if you're into Jeeps at all, you've heard about the Roxor. Basically the Roxor is an early CJ-5 looking "jeep" with a small diesel engine, leaf sprung solid axles, etc. Too bad they're sold as a side-by-side and aren't street legal - they wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand if they were street legal.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

Anyways; Roxor now has a little trailer they sell to go along with their little "jeep" (middle picture) but of course could be used behind any vehicle:

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/accesso...743b3-42084149

Kinda nice; solid axle with leaf springs, electric brake compatible, does have a drop-down tailgate... check it out. Simple trailer, and the tub is only 59" long (nice for rough terrain - not a lot of overhang).

But the base price of the trailer (without a spare tire) is $4750. You can build a nice little trailer for a lot less using the info from this trailer thread. Fall is here, time for you to start a trailer project if you haven't already.

Here are a few poor shots from the SEMA Show. The show doesn't open until tomorrow but my badge allows me in the show area during the setup days; at the end of the day I checked out a few of the outdoor displays - Roxor has a large display with a bunch of vehicles in it and this trailer. Sorry for the poor photos, I'll go back tomorrow in the daylight and take more photos if people are interested. If anyone wants to see any specific details let me know.









"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
jscherb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Harbor Freight Trailer fishinjeeper General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 14 07-21-2014 12:02 PM
Little Harbor Freight Trailer armyRN General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 15 04-20-2011 10:03 PM
Harbor Freight Mini-mill otherwise know as Sieg X2?? MA88XJDude Fabrication Shop 13 03-29-2011 07:50 PM
Harbor Freight Trailer with AT's? Anti-bling General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 8 12-03-2007 07:37 AM
harbor freight trailer willtjx General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment 3 05-04-2005 07:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome