Lost key - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
McCoyJL

Lost key

So I have lost my only key to my TJ. I used the VIN number and had the dealership cut me a key. Didn’t work. The ignition won’t even turn. Mg options at this point is a locksmith or installing a new ignition switch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 05:40 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

What year is your TJ, they used several different key systems over the years TJ was made.
I would start with going back to the dealership and having them make a replacement that does work. You paid for a working key, they owe you a working key.
Did they program they key? They may need to have the Jeep there to program the key to it.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
McCoyJL

It’s a 97. It’s just a silver key, I can’t imagine any programming would be needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
What year is your TJ, they used several different key systems over the years TJ was made.
I would start with going back to the dealership and having them make a replacement that does work. You paid for a working key, they owe you a working key.
Did they program they key? They may need to have the Jeep there to program the key to it.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 06:31 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

OK, for 97 it shouldn't need any programming.

What is the problem? Is the key not turning in the cylinder, or it's turning and the Jeep itself won't turn over?
It's not a transponder key, so as long as it turns in the cylinder it should start. If it's not, the issue isn't the key.

If the key isn't turning in the cylinder, does it work in the door? If it works in the door but won't turn in the ignition cylinder, it may just need to be wire wheeled a little bit.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
McCoyJL

The key I had made at the dealership doesn’t unlock the door or turn the ignition. I’m not sure where to go from there unless I call a locksmith and have them make one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
OK, for 97 it shouldn't need any programming.

What is the problem? Is the key not turning in the cylinder, or it's turning and the Jeep itself won't turn over?
It's not a transponder key, so as long as it turns in the cylinder it should start. If it's not, the issue isn't the key.

If the key isn't turning in the cylinder, does it work in the door? If it works in the door but won't turn in the ignition cylinder, it may just need to be wire wheeled a little bit.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I would have the dealership re-check the key code they used and recut the key. They should do that for free once at least since the first one didn't work.
If it still doesn't work, then I'd contact a locksmith. It's very possible they whole Jeep was re-keyed at some time.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 PM
RLD831

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you tested the key in the ignition, I assume your doors aren't locked. I would just pop a door off and take it with me to the dealership. They can cut the key to fit and you can test it right there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in