1Likes
  • 1 Post By Philbobaggins

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-11-2020, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Philbobaggins

2009 WK 

Garage
Looking for new tires

I am looking for a solid recommendation on a pair of hybrid or m/t tires. I’ve got an 09 wk on a 2” bb, and was looking at around a 33” tire. I know the steps that it will take to fit it, and I’m not too concerned about that. I’m on a tighter budget, and some tires I’ve found that seem to appeal to me are cooper evolution m/t, manatν mud hogs, atturo trail blade xt, and the iron man all country mt. All of them seem to have somewhat reputable and good reviews. Was wondering if anybody here had heard much about them, or if they had other recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 08:54 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

What are you looking for in tires?
Best looks?
Best durability?
Best traction (can't answer this as you didn't fill out your profile and didn't state where you are or what terrain you are working in).

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #3 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 09:00 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

JP Magazine does a tire review about once a year.

M/T tires are louder than A/T tires, sometimes annoyingly louder. M/T tires suck on snowy/icy roads, and A/T tires suck in deep mud, but do well on most other 4x4 trail surfaces. Off brand tires wear somewhat faster than brand name tires, but no tires will last if you do not keep them properly balanced and regularily rotated.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

post #4 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Philbobaggins

2009 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
JP Magazine does a tire review about once a year.

M/T tires are louder than A/T tires, sometimes annoyingly louder. M/T tires suck on snowy/icy roads, and A/T tires suck in deep mud, but do well on most other 4x4 trail surfaces. Off brand tires wear somewhat faster than brand name tires, but no tires will last if you do not keep them properly balanced and regularily rotated.
I’ll have to check that out. Thank you.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Philbobaggins

2009 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
What are you looking for in tires?
Best looks?
Best durability?
Best traction (can't answer this as you didn't fill out your profile and didn't state where you are or what terrain you are working in).
Sorry, I’m kind of new to this if you couldn’t tell.. I’m in the Ozarks region do most trails are going to be washed out and rocky. I also live on a gravel road. Occasionally I’ll go out with my buddies and we will hit some mud spots for the fun of it.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 06:15 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
I got a good deal on my Ridge Grapplers, but they normally more expensive. You might look into the Federal Couragia MT & the Kenda Klever R/T, as well. The Klever is high on my list of options for next time, as is they’re new Klever AT2 that’s about to come out.

Walmart has both of the above tires listed for $160 & $180 each, respectively.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8
post #7 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Philbobaggins

2009 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post
I got a good deal on my Ridge Grapplers, but they normally more expensive. You might look into the Federal Couragia MT & the Kenda Klever R/T, as well. The Klever is high on my list of options for next time, as is they’re new Klever AT2 that’s about to come out.

Walmart has both of the above tires listed for $160 & $180 each, respectively.
I’ve seen the kenda tires pop up a few times. What you you know about them?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 09:38 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am out in the Ozarks.

I have Falken WP ATs on both my Jeeps. I am very happy with them. Previously I had always run more aggressive tires and was concerned about how they did off road but I have found they do great off road and much better than the MTs on road. They are quieter, smoother and get better MPGs.

My previous tires were Super Swampers (good on trails but sucked on the road), TrXus MTs (the best performing tire off road and pretty good on road but expensive and didn't last long enough) and old School MTRs (great in SoCal but not so good when I moved to where there was wet slippery stuff).

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #9 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Greengrassdad

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
If this is your daily driver and you are on a budget, go with a brand name AT tire. They might cost a bit more up front, but you won't be replacing them after 20,000 miles. Just my 2 cents worth. I grew up in the ozarks, never had a problem getting where I needed to go with AT's around our farm. You might sacrifice a little grip in mud, but road manners and tire life will make up for it. If you're only using it for fun, and you're not traveling cross country to wheel it, then go with the Coopers.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Philbobaggins

2009 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I am out in the Ozarks.

I have Falken WP ATs on both my Jeeps. I am very happy with them. Previously I had always run more aggressive tires and was concerned about how they did off road but I have found they do great off road and much better than the MTs on road. They are quieter, smoother and get better MPGs.

My previous tires were Super Swampers (good on trails but sucked on the road), TrXus MTs (the best performing tire off road and pretty good on road but expensive and didn't last long enough) and old School MTRs (great in SoCal but not so good when I moved to where there was wet slippery stuff).
I looked at falken several times. They have a good warranty. And my dad just got a pair on his truck. They seem to be doing well
Ross likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-14-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Philbobaggins

2009 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengrassdad View Post
If this is your daily driver and you are on a budget, go with a brand name AT tire. They might cost a bit more up front, but you won't be replacing them after 20,000 miles. Just my 2 cents worth. I grew up in the ozarks, never had a problem getting where I needed to go with AT's around our farm. You might sacrifice a little grip in mud, but road manners and tire life will make up for it. If you're only using it for fun, and you're not traveling cross country to wheel it, then go with the Coopers.
I get that. It just seems that a second brand mt is comparable in price to a second brand at tire. I guess they would last longer though so that’s a plus.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM
karlo

The Duratracs are a good all-around tire. They are a mix of an AT and MT.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 06:20 AM
femarkel

Go for Nitto Mud Grappler Tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in