Looking for feedback on specific mods & any recommendations - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
akrebullet
2016 JK Wrangler 

Looking for feedback on specific mods & any recommendations

Hello,

I'm new here.

I have a stock 2016 JK Unlimited and want to get the following modifications: lift kit, 35" tires, winch. The objective is to go off-roading on trails primarily in VA, MD, WV or PA, that require these mods.

I'm looking for recommendations, as well as feedback on specific products I've looked up, noted below.

I've started searching through the forum for information and reviews, but I thought I'd post and ask for any feedback on comparable products, as well as for pointers to existing forum threads that would be relevant.

Lift kit:
AEV 3.5"

Wheels:
AEV 20403001AA Savegre Wheel in Black (available on Quadratec)

Tires:
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

Winch:
Smittybilt 97495 XRC-9.5 Gen2 Winch (available on Quadratec)

Bumper with winch plate:
Barricade Adventure HD Front Bumper w/ LED Fog Lights & 20 in. LED Light Bar (available on extremeterrain)

Thanks in advance!

2016 JK 75th ed, 6-speed, soft top.
Stock so far. Mods planned: Lift kit. 35" tires. Winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-23-2018, 11:10 AM
OldJackTheJeep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Read the jk forum.

KE5PPH
post #3 of 12 Old 06-23-2018, 11:37 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not a JK guy, and as suggested going to JK Tech and reading is a good idea, but when AEV used to make TJ stuff there were better options and there were a lot of cheaper options. And personally, I would never put anything made by SB on my jeep and definitely not a winch. A winch is something that needs to work when you need it and there are much more reliable options out there.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-23-2018, 11:48 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

winch and trans cooler

tires when yours wear out.
Wheels - yours will be OK

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-23-2018, 12:20 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A differential locker or two is more useful than a winch. Bring other 4x4's and a tow strap for when you get stuck.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

AEV tends to be missing things and is overpriced.

Teraflex or Metal Cloak would be my choices for a lift.

I have wheeled in all those places with a 2.5" lift and 33" KO2's (except for communist MD and I won't go there if you paid me). Lockers are very helpful at places like Rausch Creek, Potts Mountain (a couple of places there), Oak Ridge (again the quarry is a place you will want lockers), Black Mountain/Harlan (OK, it's not WV but close enough to it)

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
akrebullet
2016 JK Wrangler 

Re: Looking for feedback on specific mods & any recommendations

> A differential locker or two is more useful than a winch. Bring other 4x4's and a tow strap for when you get stuck.

@CJ7-Tim : Noted, thank you, I take your point, but the thing is, a winch is a mandatory item for some of the organized trail rides I'm interested in.

> winch and trans cooler
> tires when yours wear out.
> Wheels - yours will be OK

@jtec : Thanks for the feedback. I'm upgrading from the stock tires/wheels I have to bigger ones. This is also because of the mandatory requirements on some of the organized trails I want to go on.

> personally, I would never put anything made by SB on my jeep and definitely not a winch.

@biffgnar Hmm, not sure why you have such a strong sentiment about SB products; there are plenty of positive reviews online for their products. I don't know better myself one way or the other, so until I get the relevant experience myself, I have to go by the judgment expressed by various people who have.

Do you have any recommendations of a (specific) good winch that is comparable in features and price to the SB one I noted?

> JK forums

@OldJackTheJeep @biffgnar : Thanks for the feedback. I have been, and will continue, reading through the JK forum threads. I have to say, though, as a newbie, it's not simple/easy to parse through the information quickly. I'm plugging away at it, though, and glad to get any continued feedback.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-25-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
akrebullet
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
AEV tends to be missing things and is overpriced.
Teraflex or Metal Cloak would be my choices for a lift.
I see. I will look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I have wheeled in all those places with a 2.5" lift and 33" KO2's
I understand that that would work. But I'm thinking I might as well save up and get to a 3.5" lift with 35" tires now, rather than do a 2.5" / 33s now and then want to do more soon after...

Thanks for your feedback, especially on the other places one can go offroading. I've only begun to scratch the surface, and I'm looking forward to getting out more.

2016 JK 75th ed, 6-speed, soft top.
Stock so far. Mods planned: Lift kit. 35" tires. Winch.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrebullet View Post
I see. I will look into those.

I understand that that would work. But I'm thinking I might as well save up and get to a 3.5" lift with 35" tires now, rather than do a 2.5" / 33s now and then want to do more soon after...

Thanks for your feedback, especially on the other places one can go offroading. I've only begun to scratch the surface, and I'm looking forward to getting out more.
Nothing wrong with your plan. You don't need 3.5" to run 35's, 2.5" and flat fenders clear 35's just fine but the additional 1" of clearance from a 3.5" lift would be beneficial.

Make sure you get something with adjustable control arms, You will need that to get your castor angle set up right.

I have a 2 Dr JK with a 2.5" Teraflex spring lift , cut JK factory fenders and 35" BFG KM2's on 17" wheels.

As for the Smittybilt winch, it's fine. I have a cheap Harbor Freight winch right now. It works but both the Smitty and the HF winch will be slow. That's probably not a problem for you now but as you get more technical, line speed will be important.

When my HF winch dies, I'm getting a Warn. For what I do now, it's really the only answer.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #10 of 12 Old 06-25-2018, 11:16 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
….. but the thing is, a winch is a mandatory item for some of the organized trail rides I'm interested in.
In that case I would buy a Warn winch instead of anything else, I have not owned a SB winch, but I have been winch stuck twice, a Warn winch worked great, the not a Warn winch was very slow, and keep jamming the cable in the not a Warn roller fairlead. Maybe it was just a cheapo roller fairlead.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2018, 12:03 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmm, not sure why you have such a strong sentiment about SB products; there are plenty of positive reviews online for their products. I don't know better myself one way or the other, so until I get the relevant experience myself, I have to go by the judgment expressed by various people who have.

Do you have any recommendations of a (specific) good winch that is comparable in features and price to the SB one I noted?
People like SB products because they are cheap. And most online reviews aren't worth much. People write them right after they install a product without ever using it. At that point people want to feel good about what they spent their money on.

Quality of most of SB products is questionable and they are the kings of knocking off other vendor's products and designs and just trying to make them as cheap as they can. Transamerican ruined the SB brand the same as they did most every other vendor they have acquired. I can't think of product they make that there aren't better options.

For a quality winch you need to spend more money. Warn is going to be most people's recommendation. Personally, I'm also a fan of Superwinch.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 PM
JK4Three
2009 JK Wrangler 

For the Warn v. Smittybilt (or other Chinese made) brand discussion, I just bought a SB X2O 10k on sale. It's easy to say "just buy a Warn" or "Buy Warn or nothing", but some of us are on a budget. I stretched mine enough to look into the Warn VR8000 for $500, but couldn't do it. It's made in China too. I wouldn't buy Harbor Freight junk but the SB X2O has some nice features (waterproof, wireless) for not much more and I considered the Engo too (also Chinese). I doubt there is a USA made winch for less than $700.

Regarding Smittybilt, they seem to have decent customer service and are fairly local to me if I needed to go there.

Tags
lift kit , mods , tires , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in