• 2 Post By jay-h
  • 1 Post By jay-h
  • 1 Post By jeepdaddy2000
  • 1 Post By jay-h

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
AlaskanCelt

Lighting in snow!

Ok! So...AFTER I installed a 20" light bar, I experienced and read how bad LEDs can be in heavy snowing conditions. You think I would have known...live and learn. Anyone have some good suggestions for snow driving lights? On clear days it's great, but, living in Alaska, you don't always have a choice if you can see 20 feet in front of you. Halogen? Filters? I still plan on having my 20" on my bumper and 2 3" cubes on the corner of my lower windshield for those good days. Really don't feel like hitting bullwinkle and all his other forrest friends.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 04:53 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Snow driving requires TRUE fog lights, the same as fog driving. Everyone and his brother is selling 'fog lights' which are simply a running light.*

A real fog light (Hella 500 fog, for example) has a very sharp upper cutoff. You mount as low as possible, aim the light a little bit down and virtually no light escapes at eye level. Never use a roof or hood mounted light in fog or snow.

* Many places (including some sponsors here) advertise 'LED conversions' for factory fog lights, but these are just generic plug in LED lighting modules. There is no technical reason why an LED can't be a fog light, but the reflector and lens needs to be properly designed.
Ballistic17 and AlaskanCelt like this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #3 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
AlaskanCelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Snow driving requires TRUE fog lights, the same as fog driving. Everyone and his brother is selling 'fog lights' which are simply a running light.*

A real fog light (Hella 500 fog, for example) has a very sharp upper cutoff. You mount as low as possible, aim the light a little bit down and virtually no light escapes at eye level. Never use a roof or hood mounted light in fog or snow.

* Many places (including some sponsors here) advertise 'LED conversions' for factory fog lights, but these are just generic plug in LED lighting modules. There is no technical reason why an LED can't be a fog light, but the reflector and lens needs to be properly designed.
So I have a jeep jk with stock fogs and I was kinda planning to get a bull bar for light mounting. Is there any reason to upgrade my stocks? If so what could I do? If LEDs are pointless, is there a company that makes after market upgraded fog kits for a wk? And on the other note would it be low enough to put that Hella 500 fogs on the typical mounts on the bull bar?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 10:30 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The thing that makes a fog light useful is the beam pattern. If you have true fog light stock lamps, they are fine as is. Putting a 'LED conversion' into a stock reflector will NOT work properly. The reflectors will not focus properly at all. Buying some ebay China stuff is questionable because a lot of knockoff marketers use 'driving light' and 'fog light' interchangeably.

The last thing you need in snow is lots of light. What you need is well focused light. If you want to move to LED, be sure to get true complete fog beam lights from a reputable supplier.

Generally bar lights are not fog beams (though in theory fog beams could be manufactured in a bar style)
AlaskanCelt likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #5 of 6 Old 09-22-2019, 08:48 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Snow storms, like fog, is a glare curtain in front of you. There isn't any real way of adding more light without adding more reflected light.

Fog lights should have a low glare lens as well. While nothing will work well when it is snowing heavily, bright, high powered, white light only increases glare. A lower powered set of true fog lights with amber, smoke, or yellow lenses usually work better. They shouldn't be expected to "cut through" the snow flurry, but instead provide light down low to help track the road.

For fog (and the occasional snow) I have found a cheap set of 55W amber rectangular lens fog lights mounted on the bumper and pointed at the fog line works best.

Avoiding Moose, bears, and other large critters in a snow storm can only happen by slowing down.
AlaskanCelt likes this.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Snow storms, like fog, is a glare curtain in front of you. There isn't any real way of adding more light without adding more reflected light.

Fog lights should have a low glare lens as well. While nothing will work well when it is snowing heavily, bright, high powered, white light only increases glare. A lower powered set of true fog lights with amber, smoke, or yellow lenses usually work better. They shouldn't be expected to "cut through" the snow flurry, but instead provide light down low to help track the road.

Good point. Our eyes have the sharpest contrast and highest sensitivity in the yellow area of the spectrum. This is why many skiers and sharpshooters favor yellow lenses
AlaskanCelt likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in