Lift height questions - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By riverzj
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
betterwayliving

Lift height questions

I hope this is an appropriate question for this part of the forum. If not, moderator please move?

My questions are regarding lift kits.

First off - how much lift to do?
Most of the time our jeep (when we buy one) will be towed behind our bus conversion into an RV. So highway driving likely won't happen in the jeep. Oh, and we are looking at short wheelbase, 2 door, wranglers. Some considerations is we want to be able to access things like forest service roads. We aren't planning on doing any "rock climbing" with it but we do want more than standard height clearance. Other concern is that we don't want to get our center of gravity too high and anything we do to it MUST be street legal in ALL states (okay, maybe just 48 of them).

Second question - which lift kit and why do you recommend it? Also, we likely WON'T be installing it ourselves just because of lack of place to do this work and inexperience.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2020, 07:24 PM
riverzj

Go with a smaller kit. I wouldnít worry to much about towing as Iíve seen huge rigs flat towed. Teraflex makes a great product, itís on the higher end price wise but the quality is superb. They make all sorts of kits depending on how big you want to go, but all of them will rock on your TJ. Pretty sure they have some smaller budget items.
A stock tj should be far more capable then what youíre using it for, but 31s or 33s and a lift certainly wonít hurt. Remember, the smaller you go, the cheaper you can stay reliable. Once you go big so does the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
betterwayliving likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-04-2020, 06:56 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
its "rock crawling".

rock climbing is another sport.

the lift on a wrangler will depend on what year wrangler as well. finding clean Tjs can be a challenge. You want to be very sure it as rust free as possible. even if it cost 2x more.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
betterwayliving

LOL. I couldn't remember what it was called. The really sad part is I used to rock climb a LOT. Even won an outdoor competition for my class (women's intermediate).
post #5 of 11 Old 04-06-2020, 06:08 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterwayliving View Post
LOL. I couldn't remember what it was called. The really sad part is I used to rock climb a LOT. Even won an outdoor competition for my class (women's intermediate).
I climbed from 1973-1990. i was a solid 5.12 leader on trade routs. My best sport lead was 5.13.. I was on sighting 5.11d all over the country. My longest falls on lead were right around 50 feet, so air time.

You might like rock crawling in a jeep it is a lot of fun and in some ways rather similar. Some trails it has the same risk of falling off cliffs.

2 door jeep stock can do any forestry roads. Much like climbing its a skill thing, the jeep its self is very capable. Might get say 32s that are MTs or Ats. and just drive it before you get into lifting it much. If you do lift stay at 2.5" or less. 2 doors can get a lot more involved to lift much more and expensive.
betterwayliving likes this.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 01:58 PM
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would agree with the 2.5" or less. You would be amazed at what a minimally lifted 2 door can do. Don't forget some protection for the rockers.lower it stands, the cheaper it is to maintain

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the
Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 08:46 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I would suggest you purchase the vehicle first. Then do some wheeling with it to assess your true needs. You may find more aggressive tires with a traction upgrade may be a better start than a lift.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 08:54 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

What to get will depend on which model you buy. The advise I offer below is for JK's and JL's. Something like a TJ requires a different approach.

You will probably want a leveling kit. Most of them give a small lift (1-1.5").

You can also look for a Rubicon take off suspension (shocks and springs). Those will also give a Non Rubicon a small lift and won't adversely affect handling.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
betterwayliving

can you flat tow a wrangler that is automatic, or just the manual shift ones?
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 01:18 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
they flat tow. I did that for years. its a pain really, cant back up. still wears the jeep. You still need a brake buddy to flat tow< not cheep. i went to an alloy trailer that is very light, retired and sold my old steel one that was like a towing a tank. makes towing the jeep simple and no wear on the jeep, easier on the truck. trailer has brakes on all 4.

if you have not bought this yet. try to find one with 3.73 gears, part of the tow pack. 3.21 was stock and just dont do well with any larger tires for street.

post #11 of 11 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterwayliving View Post
can you flat tow a wrangler that is automatic, or just the manual shift ones?
Yes, you can. Transmission in park and transfer case in neutral for the Auto.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in