Leaf spring issues, add a leaf arent long enough - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-2021, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Jeepster212

Leaf spring issues, add a leaf arent long enough

So awhile ago i ordered a 2inch add a leaf lift from rusty off-road. Long leafs. I put them together with my 3-4 year old leaf springs. I didnt have 30 year old springs they were brand new from stanley springs who makes most if not all of the oem made in american height springs for the fsj jeeps.

The issue is this, the add a leaf for the front, it 2-3 inchs shorter than the 2nd leaf spring. The 2nd leaf spring is the same length as the main leaf, stanley aparently extended the 2nd leafs length to support the main leaf eye better, the owner said this to me in a phone call i made to them. Rusty off-road owner claims he tested personally his add a leafs with brand new springs from stanley, which clearly is a lie because he didnt know about the 2nd leaf being extended.. They probably never tried these springs on wagoneers, and if they did they used old springs. I also only gained 1 inch of lift, and he couldnt explain that other than blaming me or stanley springs, he kept making random accusations other than accepting his springs dont give advertised lift.

I gained only 1 inch in the rear as well, and the rear springs are all the same length as oem.. nothing changed on them.. He wouldnt give me a refund, The intructions say to put the spring under the spring thats longer.. so i put it originally under the 2nd leaf, he blamed this and said this is why i didnt get the 2 inchs because its trying to push up two springs. So i swapped them and put it under the main leaf, but doing this caused the longer 2nd leaf to extend past this add a leaf creating a gap at the end.. I also still only gained 1 inch of lift.

All this work i did and i got jack.. oh well, it was enough to make 31's still look good and clear fine.. I spoke to stanley springs owner for over an hour and he told me the reason i didnt get 2 inchs of lift, was because their springs are of such high quality and already have a little umph to them and the add a leaf is too weak to lift the vehicle and springs. I do believe this might be true, because with them stock height and looking at original pics of wagoneers, my ride height is much higher looking than factory before the add a leaf i mean.

I asked if i could leave the add a leaf under the main leaf with this gap there from the longer 2nd leaf and both companies said yes, even the place who sells the springs said it would be fine.. But i dunno, its been fine for 7 months now.. but i still question it. Ive been debating on just sucking it up and putting the add a leaf back under the longer 2nd leaf.. so that 2nd leaf can support the main spring like stanley intended when they changed the oem design. Im debating this also because the drivers side seems to be dropping down some and the gap isnt as big anymore. the 2nd leaf end is about to touch the main leaf.. its weird.

What do you guys think ? This is a picture i took when i originall installed this so you can see what im talking about. The add a leaf is actually how long the 2nd leaf originally was on the oem springs, but because stanley made it longer.. thats why its like this.. Should i put the add a leaf under the 2nd leaf so the longer 2nd leaf can support the main leaf better, or should i leave it alone ? All the companies said itd be fine, but i dunno tbh it keeps bugging me sometimes when i go down there and look at them..

Last edited by Jeepster212; 05-10-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-11-2021, 04:39 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Add-a-Leaf is not an exact science, the results will vary with different brands of add a leaf and different leaf springs packs. The folks at Rusty's are a bit cranky, based on some other threads.

I would order the leaves longest to shortest, the main leaf should be supported as much as possible. If you need a bit more lift, extended shackles would work.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-13-2021, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Jeepster212

Well this is the thing, on the original leaf springs the add a leaf was how long the 2nd leaf was.. so in my picture the original springs looked like how the add a leaf is positioned.... and it was fine for 30 years.. but the springs the 2nd leaf is very long.. the company who made them decided to extend it.. and the owner said it was to support the main leaf better.. because they saw the main leaf would bend.... I guess im answering my own question..

Do you think i should order new spring clamps, and take apart my leaf pack and put the a add a leaf under the longer leaf ? its just so much work to do it.. if this were your jeep ? This will also be the 3rd time i unbolt the u bolt and re-use them.. they were brand new when i got the springs.. but the adda leaf means i used it twice, and if i do this again itll be 3 times.. i think itll be fine but still

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2021, 05:17 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Order the leaves longest to shortest. If two leaves are exactly the same length it doesn't matter. I have built numerous custom leaf spring packs with just an add a leaf, with additional leaves from a junkyard Jeep leaf spring, and with junkyard Chevy leaves into a Jeep spring pack.

I have re-used leaf spring clamps, but only once. I have re-used u-bolts, but only once. U-bolts strecth a tiny bit when torqued, and should not be installed a third time.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-22-2021, 11:18 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Assembled out of order. Stack longest to shorter. And new u bolts too. Good luck

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in