Jeep TJ vs. Ford F-350 diesel - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By mukluk
  • 1 Post By jeepdaddy2000
  • 2 Post By 222Doc
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
ppine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 59
Garage
Jeep TJ vs. Ford F-350 diesel

Thanks to all of the people that have patiently answered my questions about Jeeps. I don't think I am Jeep material after thinking about it for a couple of weeks. A good used TJ in Nevada or eastern CA is around $8,000 or more.

I have looked carefully at my 2002 Ford that I bought in 2002. It has 174k miles with a 7.3 diesel, 4 in exhaust, AFE intake and a tuner making about 325 hp. It can tow 13,000 pounds. It goes 80 mph on the highway all day long getting over 20 mpg. I can sleep in it. It hauls the girl, 3 dogs, and camping equipment for a month. It pulls my boats and travel trailer.

The truck has a Dana 60 front axle and a Ford 10 1/2 inch rear end with 4 wheel disc brakes. The stock sized tires are 31 inches on 16 inch wheels. It has a steering damper, track bars and a very stout leaf spring suspension. It is my off road machine.

Next I am going to add Fox 2.0 shocks and an Eaton Detroit limited slip differential on the rear axle and call it good.

Sometimes the answer is in your own backyard, but you just cannot see it.

ppine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 08:08 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler
 
mukluk's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Clyde
Posts: 5,740
Different strokes for different folks... you're always welcome back if you change your mind.
ppine likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
mukluk is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 08:18 PM
voodooridr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Why not do both?
My current explore the back country vehicle is an '04 F250, the problem is that it's just a tad big to go everywhere, that's why I'm looking for an LJ to fix up for middle of nowhere adventures
Plus I've always wanted a jeep since my uncle showed up with a CJ7 when i was in high school


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
voodooridr is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 08:25 PM
jeepdaddy2000
Registered User
 
jeepdaddy2000's Avatar
1971 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Eagle Point
Posts: 8,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I have looked carefully at my 2002 Ford that I bought in 2002. It has 174k miles with a 7.3 diesel, 4 in exhaust, ARE intake and a tuner making about 325 hp. It can tow 13,000 pounds. It goes 80 mph on the highway all day long getting over 20 mpg. I can sleep in it. It hauls the girl, 3 dogs, and camping equipment for a month. It pulls my boats and travel trailer.
Do you mean an AFE intake?
If so, I recommend you dump the gauze filter and go to Tymar style. The diesel's pull so much air that they will open up the gauze and allow grit and dust into the engine(ask me how I know). I run a short 4" tube mounted to a Donaldson B085011 on my 97. The 01 and later user a slightly different lashup.
ppine likes this.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
jeepdaddy2000 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
ppine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 59
Garage
Voodooridr,
That was my thinking for awhile. I have a Lexus 430 sc for hot wheels and my girl drives a Jeep Liberty. Having 3 trucks in the family seems like a lot of vehicles to take care of along with a boat and a trailer.
ppine is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
ppine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 59
Garage
Daddy,
Yes AFE intake. ARE is a company that makes truck canopies.
ppine is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 09:06 PM
voodooridr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Voodooridr,
That was my thinking for awhile. I have a Lexus 430 sc for hot wheels and my girl drives a Jeep Liberty. Having 3 trucks in the family seems like a lot of vehicles to take care of along with a boat and a trailer.
But remember, he who dies with the most toys wins
voodooridr is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-17-2020, 09:57 PM
fawndog
Registered User
 
fawndog's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Thanks to all of the people that have patiently answered my questions about Jeeps. I don't think I am Jeep material after thinking about it for a couple of weeks. A good used TJ in Nevada or eastern CA is around $8,000 or more.

I have looked carefully at my 2002 Ford that I bought in 2002. It has 174k miles with a 7.3 diesel, 4 in exhaust, AFE intake and a tuner making about 325 hp. It can tow 13,000 pounds. It goes 80 mph on the highway all day long getting over 20 mpg. I can sleep in it. It hauls the girl, 3 dogs, and camping equipment for a month. It pulls my boats and travel trailer.

The truck has a Dana 60 front axle and a Ford 10 1/2 inch rear end with 4 wheel disc brakes. The stock sized tires are 31 inches on 16 inch wheels. It has a steering damper, track bars and a very stout leaf spring suspension. It is my off road machine.

Next I am going to add Fox 2.0 shocks and an Eaton Detroit limited slip differential on the rear axle and call it good.

Sometimes the answer is in your own backyard, but you just cannot see it.

You understand that they are completely different platforms right?


I also have a full size, but it's not going to do everything, especially narrow trails like Slick Rock. It does crawl, but it is definitely handicapped by weight.
So we have a ZJ now, free to us but $$ and sweat to prep and maintain. Best of all we don't NEED it, the E350 however is our mobile home.
fawndog is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-18-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
ppine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 59
Garage
I don't travel on narrow trails and crawl around on rocks. That is the point really.
ppine is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-18-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
ppine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 59
Garage
I don't travel on narrow trails and crawl around on rocks that much. That is the point really.
I do not get the discussions about what looks cool.
But I do still the joy after 18 years every time I fire up the diesel.
ppine is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-19-2020, 08:20 AM
222Doc
Registered User
 
222Doc's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 9,136
Garage
I have two 7.3s my old f250 a 1996 2x4. main tow rig. has now 190,000. Then the wifes 2003 the last of the 7.3s rather rare too 7.3 4x4 Excursion has 260,000 miles. on 35s with 4.30 gears. long, long list of up grades. Then the JKR for the real trails. That no full size will do well. both of them get about 13mpg towing and 18+ down the road. The best trucks Ford ever made. Will never sell them and will never need any other trucks in my life time.

voodooridr and ppine like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
222Doc is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-19-2020, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
ppine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 59
Garage
Every mechanic that has ever looked at my Ford has said the same thing. "Never sell it."
With some bolt on parts my 7.3 diesel gets over 20 mpg, my record is 23.8 mpg. Towing a boat 17-18, towing a trailer around 13.
Not as small and nimble as a Jeep, but does everything well. Ordered Bilstein 5100s yesterday.
ppine is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 03-19-2020, 11:06 AM
voodooridr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Every mechanic that has ever looked at my Ford has said the same thing. "Never sell it."

With some bolt on parts my 7.3 diesel gets over 20 mpg, my record is 23.8 mpg. Towing a boat 17-18, towing a trailer around 13.

Not as small and nimble as a Jeep, but does everything well. Ordered Bilstein 5100s yesterday.
18.7 is the best I've ever coaxed out of my 6.0 but it sure is nice traveling down the interstate

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
voodooridr is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 03-19-2020, 11:18 AM
222Doc
Registered User
 
222Doc's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 9,136
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Every mechanic that has ever looked at my Ford has said the same thing. "Never sell it."
With some bolt on parts my 7.3 diesel gets over 20 mpg, my record is 23.8 mpg. Towing a boat 17-18, towing a trailer around 13.
Not as small and nimble as a Jeep, but does everything well. Ordered Bilstein 5100s yesterday.
The blistiens 5100 on put on wifes truck few months ago made a 100% improvement on its ride. Put the yellow Blist on my f250 for stock height again made a HUGE change. I had before those rancho 9000s adjustable new they were horrible on any setting the truck bounced over any roll like the shocks were shot. tossed them and they were new. The Blist made it feel better then new. well worth it.

The guy i use when i dont feel up to it said the same thing that he loves that Excursion. Wife's truck has swamp injectors , wicked wheel, up pipes turbo back. 7 on the fly tunes. Prices on these old 7.3s have went up a lot. see them for sale at 20k for the X and the trucks too. though my 2x4 yea its to common and not as popular. But i like it and she goes everywhere anywhere every year we are towing up 95 from Az to Reno then to Tahoe for our summer trail runs. Camper and the jeep on its trailer. gets about 10/12 mpg at best bu that is a lot of weight too. still pulles Donner at 60mph.

thew iwfes X on 3.73 got over 22mpg on 35s. but went to 4.30s so it would not be as hard on the trans towing in over drive up hills.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
222Doc is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 03-19-2020, 11:31 AM
voodooridr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
I have the 5100's too (quads up front) and I like them
Low speed damping (and commiefornias horrible roads) is a little harsh but they work well with my Skyjacker 4" leafs once you hit the freeway on ramps

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
voodooridr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome