Harbor Freight winches. Let's finish this argument. - Page 34 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #496 of 506 Old 01-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Indy

This thread was started 10 years ago, last commented on 4 years ago.

Can we consider the argument 'finished' yet?

I'm the only gay eskimo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 506 Old 01-11-2016, 01:32 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

I think the biggest real issue is that there's "real" winch manufacturers in the same price range now: would you buy a HF for $250 or a Smittybilt or whatever for $299? Brings a whole new argument to this. Back when this started, it was get a HF at $239 or man up and buy a Warn, Ramsey, or Superwinch for double the money and beyond. The dynamic has changed just a bit..
post #498 of 506 Old 01-11-2016, 02:01 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams35 View Post
I think the biggest real issue is that there's "real" winch manufacturers in the same price range now: would you buy a HF for $250 or a Smittybilt or whatever for $299? Brings a whole new argument to this. Back when this started, it was get a HF at $239 or man up and buy a Warn, Ramsey, or Superwinch for double the money and beyond. The dynamic has changed just a bit..
The SB winches changed the dynamic? Is there any difference between the HF or the SB winch? All same category of "quality" to me.

post #499 of 506 Old 01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just a matter of the fact that there's more than one player at that general price point now: including ones that don't have the "Harbor Freight" stigma.
post #500 of 506 Old 01-11-2016, 02:20 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just a matter of the fact that there's more than one player at that general price point now: including ones that don't have the "Harbor Freight" stigma.
I think in a lot of people's mind the SB stigma is worse than the HF stigma.

All of the winches in the $200-300 range are the same for the most part IMO. They do serve a particular point of demand in the market and meet a need that exists so that's great that the market works, but they are what they are and people buying them should just realize that and don't try to convince themselves or others that they are something better.
post #501 of 506 Old 01-11-2016, 02:36 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I think in a lot of people's mind the SB stigma is worse than the HF stigma.

All of the winches in the $200-300 range are the same for the most part IMO. They do serve a particular point of demand in the market and meet a need that exists so that's great that the market works, but they are what they are and people buying them should just realize that and don't try to convince themselves or others that they are something better.
No argument here, the main thing that really jumps out at me is just how many 8-10K winches that are on the market fit into this slot now: A quick "google shopping" on 8000's shows Smittybilt, Traveller (Tractor Supply), Trail Master (whoever that is), Superwinch, Rugged Ridge, Rough Country, Engo, and a handful of "generics". I'm sure most of those are liable to be out of the same factory with just different names, or whatever, but that's a lot to choose from: if you just count on what's getting sold, probably half or better of the winch market is these bottom-of-the-bucket models.. In ten years you've gone from HF being pretty much the sole occupant of that price slot to this..
post #502 of 506 Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
devildog4x4
1986 CJ7 

Perspective is the key, and everyone's is different. For me - it's frequency of use. I've changed from weekly use (dessert trails - monthly = warn) to infrequent loading & pulling 1 or 2 times a year. I have used my HF 8000 (I paid $99 + tax) the last 5 years with no problem.

Would I trust it on a trail in the middle of Timbuktoo - noooo.
post #503 of 506 Old 01-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Indy

Quote:
At that point you're just arguing names though. Most of the winches for the same price seem to have reeeeeelly similar specs and appearance.

And then you get into one of the most asinine statements ever made "you get what you pay for", and then things go downhill.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #504 of 506 Old 01-12-2016, 01:28 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
At that point you're just arguing names though. Most of the winches for the same price seem to have reeeeeelly similar specs and appearance.
That's nothing new: a while back the "mid range" Ramseys, Superwinch, etc. were all absolutely identical save the badging; I'm not really arguing names there, just noting how many different players have stuck their foot into that particular door over the last ten years..
post #505 of 506 Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Consaka

Quote:

Why? I found this thread because I was trying to find parts availability. Mainly the tensioner that some seem to have but others don't. I felt this thread was pertinent and read the entire thing. Even when it got frustrating because people ignored the OPS directions. Including an administrator who should have known better. I still like to see how others find it has worked for them. I don't see this thread needing to die ever.
post #506 of 506 Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Consaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog4x4 View Post
Perspective is the key, and everyone's is different. For me - it's frequency of use. I've changed from weekly use (dessert trails - monthly = warn) to infrequent loading & pulling 1 or 2 times a year. I have used my HF 8000 (I paid $99 + tax) the last 5 years with no problem.

Would I trust it on a trail in the middle of Timbuktoo - noooo.
I find that funny. Mostly because I wouldn't trust any winch in that scenario. If I was doing stuff like that where my life or extreme discomfort could be an issue from a failing winch I would have two in the front and 1 in the back. Plus the 100+lbs of tools I haul with me everywhere. 2 spare tires with patch kits and a backup air compressor to my main compressor. You know like they do in Australia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in