GoTreads, are they worth it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2021, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Nick Schild
2008 JK Wrangler 

GoTreads, are they worth it?

Hi, I'm considering moving to the beach that allows driving. Does anyone have experience with the GoTread recovery gear that is plastered all over Facebook? I like that they are foldable and stow away vs the long ridged boards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2021, 08:44 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I wheel sand at Sand Hollow. Place has two things Sand stone like Moab and HUGE dunes of sugar sand that is very soft at times. No one i have seen/been with and that is a lot have those? Adds are directed by what you look for. Might even be from what you say if any device that can can? So if I start looking for say anything today? when i am at any other web page those adds will what I see on those pages.

So its not like because they have an add everyone uses these. If alone it is a viable idea, though if you had a winch it can do more. sand anchor can be a tire if push come to shove. You need shovel. They make sand/dirt anchors as well. they are heavy. Like a plow blade that digs in.

beach sand tends to be flat and not like Dunes. Air down means you have a air supply? air down even on stock tires is 10 psi Max. That alone will do more then anything else. From there its driver really. Sand at times you need some momentum when its soft and you going up and down and over its like being at sea. Some waves you can not do its to steep and loose( well with 500+ HP maybe ) so you have navigate around the tops. Burn a ton of fuel playing out there.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-18-2021, 08:12 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

X2 on airing down.

We do a TON of riding at the Oregon dunes and have been out in the open sand with everything from an F350 to a Honda Civic. Street pressures require a large head of speed to get anywhere in the loose sand. If you're on the beach and stay down near the surf line, the sand is usually hard enough to carry wider tires without airing down.

For a leisurely spin in the sand, airing down til you get a small "pooch" in the sidewall will get you just about anywhere you want to go. The bigger the pooch, the better the traction.

We use compressors or a slow trip to town to air back up, however, I've been investigating a Co2 tank for this purpose, which would allow quicker air ups, negate the need for heavy compressors, and help fix on the sand flats on the quads and rails.

On a side note, I've seen folks drag triple axle fifth wheel toy haulers out into the open sand with no issues. While I don't have the cajones to try this, sand movement is possible with rigs that boggle the mind.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 5 Old 07-21-2021, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Nick Schild
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I think I should be fine as long as I air down. I carry a portable dual piston compressor anyway, which will help. As for the guy with a trailer, does the trailer need to have wide contact tires or do you air those down as well? It seems kind of counterintuitive to create more drag on tires that are not doing the work.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-21-2021, 08:07 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Schild View Post
As for the guy with a trailer, does the trailer need to have wide contact tires or do you air those down as well? It seems kind of counterintuitive to create more drag on tires that are not doing the work.
I stopped and talked to them ('cause I had to know) and all they did was air down the trailer tires and everybody (there were four of them) stopped on flat sand or a slight downhill in order to get moving easier.

Some picts of dunefest and sandfest( Horsfall and Winchester bay) jsut to give you an idea of what folks are dragging out there.
Attached Thumbnails
DUNE_6DuneFest2015-29451.jpg  
Attached Images

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in