Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

GMC's new $112k Hummer EV

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Wabatuckian 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
So an even uglier and pricier Avalanche re-badged as a Hummer? The electric motors may be capable of those hp/tq numbers but the half shafts and steering components aren't. Ever watch the front tires try to meet in the middle of a GM IFS truck that makes decent power... fun to watch, not fun to fix. Yes 11,500 ft/lbs, a 300 hp electric should be producing about 3000 ft/lbs at 500 rpm. the 10 minute charge for 100 miles sounds interesting, wonder how much power service you have to have, time to make that upgrade to a 200 amp service at home.

#4 ·
.. the 10 minute charge for 100 miles sounds interesting, wonder how much power service you have to have, time to make that upgrade to a 200 amp service at home.
They always quote those numbers (cellphones and computers too) because the first few percent is the fastest. Meanwhile a typical car goes from empty to full in under 3 minutes, pickup a bit longer, ready to go another 350 miles or more. 350 miles doesn't sound terrible until you consider that you a a number of hours charging at the end of it. Long road trips (and pulling your boat will cut your range a lot) become rather impractica.

GM is calling this a 'lifestyle vehicle' which means mostly purchased as mall crawlers.

As people may have noticed in my other posts, I see real benefit to electric drive at the wheels, but batteries are far from prime time as a full time power source.

#6 ·
As people may have noticed in my other posts, I see real benefit to electric drive at the wheels, but batteries are far from prime time as a full time power source.
I'd like to see how well the electric vehicles do in Alaska with sub zero temps year after year. Dealers probably know about the issues but keep it on the down low so word doesn't get out.

#8 ·
AAA testing found about 30% drop in range for cold temperatures, and when you factor in drops from age, and travel conditions including trailer towing... it's an issue.

The last figure I heard was about 25K to replace the complete battery in a Tesla S (by comparison the going price for replacing an engine in a Porsche is about 15K)

There is also the resource problem. There is no efficient way to recycle lithium batteries (whereas old fashioned lead/acid batteries are recycled rather easily)

Reactions: JeepRonibo
#7 ·
Of course dealers won't tell you that when the batteries crap out that it'll cost $10k to replace them in this pig.

Like the H2 and H3, 99% of these monstrosities sold will be nothing but status symbols that are great at driving over the parking blocks at the mall. Very few will ever see the trail, not many people will spend 6 digits on a vehicle to beat up off-roading.

#9 ·
I have a feeling it will not be mass produced, just enough vehicles to get the press and commercial attention. Just a handfull made that will never be available to the public. AT best something Along the EV1 history line .

#10 ·
They probably don't care about sales. It's a halo project, and they've gotten some technology from acquisitions.

Side point: Strictly speaking, the EV1 vehicles were built as experimental vehicles with special permission to be driven under terms of the project, and therefore could NEVER be registered. The fact that they were pulled back and mostly destroyed is not (as some have claimed) a conspiracy. It was required by law. (Same situation with the Chrysler Turbine car. A handful exist for exhibition only)

#12 ·
This is the first vehicle newer than about 2005 that I'd own. The reason is that I feel it was done correctly for an EV.

I do NOT think that the combined internal combustion/electronic controls on modern cars are a good idea, and there's nothing currently that screams "quality" to me. It's just overpriced plastic in most cases.

Upgrading the construction and letting electronics control electricity seems OK to me somehow.

Meantime, I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee. The thing is fun, and the computer controls are interesting. However, I'll be buying older-than-2004 from here on out, UNLESS they maybe come up with a smaller, less-expensive version of the Hummer HV.

Josh

#14 · (Edited)
Electric drive itself is really cool. Battery tech is hopelessly inadequate, and will be for a long time. Energy density of chemical fuel is way higher than batteries. A Tesla style vehicle with internal combustion would require a small take with mayb 120 lbs or less of gasoline. The Tesla battery weighs about 1200 lbs.

This is interesting: KOENIGSEGG (I have no idea how to pronounce it, has a 3 cylinder engine which can burn alcohol. The electric drive can go from stop to 240 mph without any gear change (no need for a transmission). 600 miles on a tank of fuel (multiple fuels can be used). Getting rid of the massive externally charged batter makes a big difference.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/6/2...ra-hybrid-photos-specs-geneva-motor-show-2020

#13 ·
Since Tesla is basically the standard:

https://www.autopilotreview.com/how-long-charge-a-tesla/

Consider an 8 bay (modest size gas station). Most cars fill in about 2 minutes, figure if they're busy cranking through the charge cards, maybe 4 minutes per car. At 8 pumps that's about 120 cars per hour. Electrics vary widely but supposing a commercial (not home ) charge time of one hour an 8 station will charge only 8 cars.

True part of the issue below is due to a shortage of stations, but the problem is not going to be solved any time soon:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31274...urs-long-supercharger-lines-over-thanksgiving

In other words we would eventually need FAR more charge stations than gas pumps (plus the electrical generating capacity to feed them)

#16 ·
Nooo, the prototype is there. Some engineer dude on YouTube did a walk-through.

Getting it into production is just another step.

Dad is an engineer (now retired) who worked on a lot of the GM launch teams, and contributed to getting the first Hummer (or maybe the H2; I forget right now) into production. Something about making the old line software work with the new GM ECM/PCM/ECU. It's a pretty big undertaking, but GM does have some of the best folks in engineering and maintenance.

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.