Gear shift lock? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2021, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
jbrizell

2011 JK Wrangler 

Gear shift lock?

Iím a very new Jeep owner and just recently my husband and I purchased a 2011 wrangler jk. Iíve always liked the Jeep but couldnít get myself away from high performance cars. Finally at 68 and female we have a beautiful 2011 Jeep sport. Trying to get use to an automatic but we both noticed that there is no locking mechanism on the gear shift knob. Usually there is a button to unlock and lock into gear. Even manuals have a button. Is this standard on all Jeeps?

Thanks. Jill

Jeep owner Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

What manual transmissions have you driven that has a button on the shift knob that would "lock it into gear"? I've never seen such a thing.
I've driven manual transmission vehicles for 40 years and not a single one of them had a button like that.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 5 Old 10-10-2021, 08:32 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

And there is a locking mechanism on the automatics. It's called the shift interlock. It will not allow the transmission to be taken out of park unless you depress the brake pedal.
This is pretty common these days. All modern vehicles are required to have the shift interlock as a safety feature, not all have a button. Just depends on the make/model.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2021, 09:03 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I believe that the questions is about the reverse lockout that most have, either a latch or a push down to get the manual into reverse to keep from accidentally shifting into reverse while traveling forward. due to the offroad nature of the Jeep and occasionally needing to rock from drive to reverse to extract yourself from a sticky situation, there is no reverse lockout on a Jeep shifter. IIRC the only open top jeep that ever had this 'feature' was the CJ with an SR-4 (weak car transmission) where you had to push down on the shift knob to shift into reverse and TJ's with the automatic and console shift.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 5 Old 10-15-2021, 06:35 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

There are a lot of auto shifters that come with the button either on the top (vintage) or on the side from the factory as well as aftermarket (B&M etc). Pre 72 Bronco's had a button on the T case shifter as well.
All are console shifters and I don't believe Jeep has offered one in any year.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in