Frozen starter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
02jeepgal

Frozen starter

Hey everyone. I have an '02 Wrangler X 4.0. After going thru puddles now that things are starting to melt up here in Maine, it then gets cold again overnight and my starter freezes. I have to use my hairdryer on it for 10 minutes or so to get it to start. Any ideas on how to shield it? Know of a starter that won't freeze? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 PM
RogerP
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepgal View Post
Hey everyone. I have an '02 Wrangler X 4.0. After going thru puddles now that things are starting to melt up here in Maine, it then gets cold again overnight and my starter freezes. I have to use my hairdryer on it for 10 minutes or so to get it to start. Any ideas on how to shield it? Know of a starter that won't freeze? Thanks!
Sounds more like the Bendix is getting weak and rusty. Sorry to say but it really sounds like a new starter will be the only real cure. A slush puddle or two should not be binding it up and it's not as cold up here as it was a couple of weeks ago. Hair dryer until you get warmer weather (or it completely goes) and swap it out.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There is always the remote possibility that water is actually freezing inside the housing from puddle jumping...Normal motor radiated heat should evaporate that water once you shut down however. A more likely explanation would be 'rust' or stiffened/tacky grease due to cold. You could easily hang an incandescent light bulb over/under the starter at night, which may warm it enough to allow easy starting. Your other option is to drop the starter and inspect it, as well as energize it (on the ground) to observe whether the gear is properly throwing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in