Ford 8.8 Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2001, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Keith
Web Wheeler

Ford 8.8 Questions

Instead of doing the D60 swap I was looking into maybe doing an 8.8 swap into my 89 Wrangler. Couple of questions I had were strength issues of running a 36 to 37 inch tire with the 8.8, I was told you can get upgraded shafts for the 8.8, who makes those and are there any other common upgrades?

A couple other questions I had were after you get the axle and cut all the brackets and such off and weld on new spring perches what else must be done? Will the yoke of the 8.8 match to my CV Shaft that fits the D35 yoke? Any other information would be helpful.

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-02-2001, 09:31 PM
RodeoRob

IMO, the 8.8 can handle 37's without much worry, but then again, i don't go crazy with the throttle so its all about driving habits. With 37's, you're starting to enter the grey area of 'whether it is/isn't strong enough'.

Not sure about upgraded shafts, you could get Moser to make you a pair. Their shafts are roughly 20% stronger than the stock shafts just because of the processed used to make.

Your driveshaft won't bolt directly up to the 8.8, you'll need an adapter flange. check MORE, they sell it for ~$40

-Rob

Robert Gorrell
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2001, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Keith
Web Wheeler

So after cutting the old brackets and welding on new perches is there anything else that needs to be done to the axle before you can bolt it up, what about shock mounts and the brake setup?

post #4 of 13 Old 11-05-2001, 05:59 PM
kegmaster

Ford 9 perhaps? Damn strong axle.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-13-2001, 01:58 PM
Cody_91YJ

Keith, you really don't even need to cut the spring perches off if your SUA (can't remember what your doing). The perches matched up good on my Jeep, about an 1/8" of my leaf springs overhangs the perch, but that shouldn't cause a problem, and I'm going to have to cut em off when I SOA soon anyway.

Don't pay $40 for the MORE adapter. If you haven't picked up a 8.8 yet, just take the flange with the axle out of the junkyard.
Then all you need is a conversion u-joint which will only set you back about $15.
The e-brake can be a pain. I ended up having to buy a factory explorer e-brake line to use, but you should be able to get it without much trouble.
Hopefully I'll have my digital camera back soon and I'll try and get some pics of my swap

As far as strength goes, a friend of mine ran 38" tires on his for about a year without any breakage and he had a mustang 5.0L up front. However if your going that big, the carrier in the axle can be a weak link. But you can avoid this with a Detroit Locker. He also said that with 38s you should consider welding the tubes or trussing the axle up. Behind a 4.0 you probably don't have to worry about this. But under a stronger engine you have a chance of spinning the tubes with huge tires.
So with 36s you should have no problems. When I start my SOA in the spring I'll be putting on some 36" meats.

'91 YJ Mangler w/ too many mods...and yet not enough ;)

post #6 of 13 Old 11-22-2001, 10:31 AM
buck

I don't know what kinda upgrade axles are out there for 8.8's. Any one out there know? I went with kegmaster's theory. 9" gave me 35 splines and 1.53 shaft size. Same as D-60 and Corporate 14 bolt. These axles will hold up to 37" abuse. only down side is smaller ring gear. Cuz of pinion size both drag less on the rocks than a 60 or a 14 bolt.

Hey Cody- is yer friend runnnin an 8.8?

jeepin, offroadin, 4-wheelin, rockcrawlin and a little wrench bendin
post #7 of 13 Old 12-19-2001, 02:37 PM
jeepsonly

Quote:
Originally posted by buck:
[B]I don't know what kinda upgrade axles are out there for 8.8's. Any one out there know? I went with kegmaster's theory. 9" gave me 35 splines and 1.53 shaft size. Same as D-60 and Corporate 14 bolt. These axles will hold up to 37" abuse. only down side is smaller ring gear. Cuz of pinion size both drag less on the rocks than a 60 or a 14 bolt.
Yeah but the 9 inch weighs much more (stats anyone?), offers slightly lower ground clearance and costs more. Other than that it's a great choice.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-27-2001, 12:33 PM
kegmaster

actually the 9" and 8.8 are VERY close, and compared to a D60 or 14 bolt, they weight nothing. They have better clearance than the 60 and 14 and only lose about 1/4" on the 8.8. You can shave them and get better clearance than a D35!
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Trick95

The Ford 8.8" rear end is very stout, and can handle all sorts of power. Of course, you will need upgraded axles and c-clip eliminators. Good luck.

P.S. Rumors have it that the 8.8 can handle upwards of 800 hp in a Mustang when upgraded properly.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2002, 02:21 PM
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by kegmaster:
You can shave them and get better clearance than a D35!
Andy, I'll buy that on an 8.8, but with the removable 3rd member design of the 9", i don't think so. Theres hardly any metal on the bottom to start cutting/griding. If you do, you're asking for a world of problems.

-Rob

Robert Gorrell
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.

-
post #11 of 13 Old 03-08-2002, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Keith
Web Wheeler

I'm going to bring this back as I want to get started on it this weekend.

So I go and get the 95+ 8.8 w/ disks. Cut off all the brackets. Get a new u-joint for the rear driveshaft and use the stock 8.8 yoke. Get new spring perches for SOA. New shock mounts. Then bolt it up. 8.8 brake lines connect fine to Jeep brake lines, connect the e-brake and I am done.

Questions.
1. What u-joint do I use to be able to use my old cv-shaft w/ the 8.8.
2. Who sells the SOA spring perch/shock mount.
3. Will the Jeep shock bracket work fine or will I need a new one.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Hayward

Why wouldnt you put in a 9" high pinion.
or if you are making your own flip the 9"
over.It is the lightest cheapest way to go.

89 jeep cherokee
post #13 of 13 Old 03-12-2002, 06:48 AM
RodeoRob

Bill is right. Not to mention you'll also have lubrication problems if you flip the axle over. The *only* way to get a high pinion 9" is to purchase the high pinion 3rd member from Currie.

-Rob

Robert Gorrell

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in