Florida to Arizona on 38s - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Macid

Florida to Arizona on 38s

Hello fellow Jeep enthusiasts. It's time to leave the nest and live out on my own. I'll be doing so by traveling out to Phoenix Arizona from FL, a 24hr trip. The vehicle of choice is going to be my beloved two door JK with the 3.6 and Auto trans. She has RK 3.5 X factor, Dana spicer 44 in the front, gears/Lockers, steering, 38s and 90k miles. She's been babied her whole life as well as being rigorously maintained. My question to all is what yall would do, change or look at before taking a cross country road trip in your jeep. Im not too worried about my suspension for the only thing that hasn't been replaced in the past year was the rear axle housing but id like to get a good idea of what I should inspect and bring before making my life changing journey into the desert. Thanks in advance for your quality advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Macid

Attached Thumbnails
7CDE7BDB-42D7-44B5-951C-04C114CF562E 2.jpg  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 12:27 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Standard maintenance. Oil, filters, Coolant if it's on the 5 year HOAT coolant, gear oil change and probably plugs which are a PITA but they are 100K plugs.

I would make sure you check the front end, ball joints, track bar, etc.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
gets rather warm out here during the summers. Long as the ac works and perhaps a top? My JKR has no top and the ac at speed is worthless here in LHC AZ. slow speed no top ac does well enough.

Az is a rock crawlers paradise in the winter. As well its close to many of the best of the west stuff as well. I can be on the Con/Fordyce in 12 hrs, dusy in 8. Moab is 8hrs, sand Hollow is only 4.5 for me. Johnson valley is about 5 hours. But we are in Havasu AZ. Az has thousands of miles of trails. as well we rate things a bit different as well; 1.0-5.0 once on the 4s body damage is about assured as well as breaking stuff. 5s are buggy lines. Not much mud'en here as well. Cactus here tend to kill tires as well. Jumping Cholla are the devil, no tire can stop them too. they work their way into the tire and before long you have death by a million pin pricks. One reason i always have full replacement warranty certs from Discount Tire on my off road jeep. That covers any damage to a tire as long as it has legal tread left. I have not ever worn a tire that far. they always get cut first or the cactus gets them in the end.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 12:55 PM
jeffreybehr

2013 WK 

I've lived here for 60 years; it's HOTTER than hell in summer, which is six months long.. If you think it's hot in Florida, you'll think you drove into an oven when you get here.. Daily hi temps in the summer are always over 100dF and in June/July/August frequently over 110dF, but there's sort of no humidity, so it's livable.. Put the top on your Jeep before you start.. Does the airconditioner work? If your Jeep overheats in the FL temps, don't come until you fix that.

Meanwhile, welcome to the Arizona desert; you'll find lots of fellow Jeepists.

Former Jeeps--'70 Wagoneer, '95 Cherokee, '99 GC, and '13 GC Ltd.. LOVING the 'new' '15 GC Overland.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 01:09 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
last week here in LHC it was 123. 110 is just warm

post #7 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Macid

Some valuable advice so far gentlemen. The hardtop is on, AC blows cold and the spark plugs where changed while doing the valve cover gaskets. Sounds like some basic fluid swaps and she should be ready for the journey. That cacti on the tires is pretty gnarly, never thought they could turn your tires into Swiss cheese! Will definitely have a spare and jack on hand. Ive got some thin blood from deck handing charter boats in the Gulf, hopefully it helps beat that gnarly heat. Getting really excited to see this place after reading these replies!!
post #8 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 07:21 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Those cacti wont get you flat fast its a slow death. Rock cuts will take it out fast. Rock is sharp here too. really have to watch tire placement. Well if you get out here and its in the fall and through winter there many clubs you can run with. My club starts back up in sept. though its still warm so we run Kingman trails only a hour from me. Some great trails up there and its much cooler too. Just hit me up.

I tend to wheel in the Sierras in the summer its close and i have ran the rubicon since the 70s.( spent all of June there this year. Ran a bunch of trails. do that most every year. I am running a group end of this month on the Dusy Ershem trail. That is one of the "grand" trails out there. 33 miles takes 3-5 days. gets up to 10,000 feet or so. 8 hours from our door if keep the truck moving. I tow. Near Yosemite's Muir wilderness . amazing place. as long as you like to rough camp and sit around lakes at night....who dont?

post #9 of 11 Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I don't think you're going to see much cacti on your road trip.

If you haven't taken it on any trips, I would run it over and have the alignment checked and the tires balanced and rotated before you take it on a 1000 mile trip.

If you haven't run it at highway speeds, maybe a short 100 mile or so trip to insure everything holds together for a couple of hours of driving.

I would pack a tire plug kit and 12V compressor, as I assume you won't be dragging a 38" spare.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Macid

She'll be dragging a 38 and everything I own! Not a lot but two rifles, clothes, computer, welding gear, tools, etc. Ive put on about 10k miles with all of the new suspension and tires. As well as drag a flats boat down into south FL (16hr RT) for some tarpon fishing, twice! The trusty Warns got a built in compressor will be sure to pick up a tire plug kit and read up on how to use it, good idea jeep daddy! 10k foot elevation gain, rough camp by the lake, all sounds incredible! Will definitely get in touch out that way!

The wisdom is very much appreciated.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-08-2020, 09:01 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Plug kits are cheap and simple to use. They can be had a Walmart for a couple of bucks and are a good item to have in all your rigs.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in