First Time Undercoating - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
skippertech
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

First Time Undercoating

Hey Everyone,

So I just recently got a brand new Jeep, and am beginning to prep for winter. Obviously it is brand new so the underbody is very clean, and the goal is to protect the frame as much as possible.

The plan is to undercoat it with Fluid Film...I've read a good bit about it and that seems like the way to go. Does anyone have advice/ or advice on going about doing this? Anything in particular I should know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertech View Post
Hey Everyone,

So I just recently got a brand new Jeep, and am beginning to prep for winter. Obviously it is brand new so the underbody is very clean, and the goal is to protect the frame as much as possible.

The plan is to undercoat it with Fluid Film...I've read a good bit about it and that seems like the way to go. Does anyone have advice/ or advice on going about doing this? Anything in particular I should know?
What ever you do keep up with it. I just use spray paint and I get underneath my jeep and old truck and clean really well at least twice a year and repaint about everything. I use what ever paint I have handy. There have been times the undersides look like the Partridge Family bus. I usually keep a few Rustolium cans of black around but sometimes I run out. Other than actually doing a good jog clearing on a regular basis the next most important is using a sprayer that can spray at all angles.

You will be surprised at how many places there are that mud and grime will get into that just power washing won't get clean. Through the year I do clean and paint but to a lessor extent than my bi annual scrub fest.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #3 of 4 Old 11-08-2019, 10:14 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the fluid film. Check out You tube for some good info.

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2019, 01:15 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am really happy with Fluid Film.
Do you own a compressor?
If so can it run this?

https://www.kellsportproducts.com/Fl...-Gun_p_16.html

Gallons are cheaper then spray cans IMO.
Plus those wands are pretty cool. I use the one that sprays in a 360 degree pattern and do inside my uni-body in my '00 XJ.
I power wash underneath and let her dry good.
Then I go to town. I use about a 1/2 gallon at a whack.
IMO Fluid Film is not a less is more thing.
Every once in awhile during the winter I run my Jeep through the $5 automatic wash bay at the car wash.
I do not pay the extra $1 for the undercarriage. Fluid Film will eventually wash off.
So Fluid Film will stink for about a week.
Also when you first start up the Jeep it will smoke like all hell. Burning off the engine, exhaust, and whatnot.
Every piece of crap on the road will stick to it.
If you have to go underneath to work on something after the Fluid Film is applied it is messy as hell. LOL.
Come April I power wash again. You will never get every last bit of Fluid Film off.
I think there are nooks and crannies tucked way up underneath that still have Fluid Film on them from the first time I applied it 5 years ago. MLOL.
You will not be sorry you did this.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1093.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in