First-Time Off-Roading Tips? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
JBZJ1996
1996 ZJ 

First-Time Off-Roading Tips?

I'm going to be hitting the trails this weekend with a buddy of mine. We've both got ZJ's with the 5.2 V8, his is modded and mine is bone stock. What is some beginner's advice from people who have taken their Jeep off-road before (driving tips, things to bring, any other tips/advice)? Thanks in advance!

Jeep Emojis! ZJ: [__] IIIIIII [__] XJ: [_] IIIIIII [_] TJ: O IIIIIII O KL: > IIIIIII <
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Have a plan.

Recovery is second only to safety.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go with a buddy in another vehicle. Have a strap and tow points to be able to connect the two vehicles when one gets stuck.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2015, 08:34 AM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The round black things go down.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Muddy water is always deeper than it looks.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #6 of 10 Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One of the biggest things that will help you offroad is to air your tires down. Doing so gives better traction, a better ride on rough offroad surfaces, and it makes the tire far less likely to be damaged or punctured by objects on the trail.

And the biggest mistake new offroaders make is not airing their tires down enough, they're usually afraid the tire is going to unseat from the wheel and they don't know how far they can safely air down to prevent that from happening. Keep in mind 15 psi... if you're not airing your tires down to below 15 psi, you're not airing down enough. You can safely air down to 13 or so psi on the tire sizes that come on a JGC.

Once you're done offroading, air your tires back up before hitting the highway. You can't drive faster than 20-25 mph on tires that are aired down, they will heat up and possibly fail. Carrying a decent air compressor with you would be a good idea if there's no gas station near where you'll be offroading.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2015, 10:58 AM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A few things I'd add:

Good tire placement, along with four-low wins over speed on rocky climbs.
Know when to get out and go take a look at what's ahead, and if you've got concerns, know as well when to turn around. Getting unstuck is dirty and not always a good way to spend your day.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2015, 11:52 AM
GilaMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What comes to mind? See below. Add if you feel the need to.

Plan your route, down to every turn if possible. Leave that info with someone at home complete with an approximate return time if you can. That way if you are not back within a reasonable time someone knows where to start looking for you, especially if you are out of range for whatever communication device(s) you have.

Bring basic tools and recovery gear. Wrenches, screwdrivers, shovel, tow strap, air compressor, tire plug kit, etc. They can be quite valuable when needed.

Bring a First Aid kit. No explanation should be needed.

A map of the area, especially when farther from civilization. Important when you don't know everything about where you are.

Dress properly. If it gets cool later in the day and you are out longer than expected or broke down/stuck you'll need it.

Water, bring plenty. If you are already thirsty when you drink some you're not drinking enough. Snacks aren't a bad idea for longer wheelin trips, just remember saltier things make you thirstier.

Don't drive beyond your or your rig's abilities. If it doesn't look or feel safe it probably isn't. No further explanation should be required.

Silence is Golden, Duct tape comes in Many Colors.

Journeyman Meterman IBEW Local 611

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
post #9 of 10 Old 03-07-2015, 03:22 PM
329892 - Deactivated
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't go first !!
post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-2015, 04:49 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used to vacation up there in western MI a bit south of there.

Nice country. Very flat. Sandy loose soil. Some bogs. Water, water everywhere.

So if you are going to off road nearby, I'd guess you ought to have some sand and bog recovery stuff. That would be pieces of carpet 1' by 3'. Not much real wilderness up there, but I'd still have a hand held GPS in case you have to walk out. And, of course, as mentioned, first aid, tow points and straps (two 30x4" poly looped at both ends and two 3/4" D shackles) and something to air tires up. I agree with 13psi for a newbie, and suggest CO2 tank for airing up.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)

Tags
advice , beginner , off-roading , tips , trail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in