Diesel Grand Cherokee Fail? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Diesel Grand Cherokee Fail?

Im sure you have all heard of the new GC with the deisel engines. i dont know about you guys but im pretty sure they are gonna fail. I think Deisel is too expensive right now to be worth the increased mpg. Our economy just isnt stable enough to be producing moer and more deisel vehichles. they are gonna be more expensive to fix. and a deisel engine isnt really built for short trips, its actually bad for the engine to drive a short distance...say for groceries. I just dont forsee these making it...but i could be wrong...i dont know

-KOSEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM
dsjr2006

2006 WK 

The GC has been available with a diesel since the WK, they are just releasing a new version with the WK2. I don't think they would release a WK2 with a diesel after the WK if it was a failure. One thing to consider is the MPG on the WK CRD was about 22-24 highway vs 17-18 for the Hemi.

SOLD :( - '06 Limited Hemi QDII | 05-08 WK Service Manual PDF:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
mKosel
1999 WJ 

i here ya on the increased efficiency But diesel is too expensive to be worth it, I don't see how it could benefit. Diesel is 4 dollars a gallon, compared to 3.40 for regular gas here in ND. And in the state that the economy is in, i don't think the demand is there. (IMHO) if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the hemi?

-KOSEL

post #4 of 45 Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 AM
dsjr2006

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKosel
i here ya on the increased efficiency But diesel is too expensive to be worth it, I don't see how it could benefit. Diesel is 4 dollars a gallon, compared to 3.40 for regular gas here in ND. And in the state that the economy is in, i don't think the demand is there. (IMHO) if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the hemi?
I got the Hemi because it was in the price range I wanted to pay and still had plenty of power with the other options I wanted. To get the CRD I would have had to buy an '08 or newer so that wasn't an option though I would've preferred the CRD.

With that kind of difference in mileage you come out ahead on the highway for sure and maybe even around town. If it were just about the money the same could be said for the Hemi. You pay more for the engine and even more for gas compared to the V6. They didn't sell a ton of the CRDs but obviously enough to consider making them again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Snarl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

diesel $4.06 per gallon at 22 miles per gallon is a cost per mile of .19 cents

regular 3.68 per gallon at 17 miles per gallon is a cost per mile of .22 cents

So if you drive 10,000 miles per year you save $300 dollars
post #6 of 45 Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
dsjr2006

2006 WK 

Yep and around here gas is $3.87 for Reg and $4.17 for Diesel.

post #7 of 45 Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
ssquier92

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not WK related but diesel makes sense, its ignorant to say that it does not.

It shouldn't be more expensive than gasoline in the first place,

But I am happy I dd a 2005 Cummins 5.9l vs a hemi. I enjoy 19 mpg a lot more than 13. The power and reliability is great too.

2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

post #8 of 45 Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
mKosel
1999 WJ 

hm, like i said i could be wrong,(looks like i was) so i do appriciate the feedback. so what you guys are saying is making sense. I have never seen a diesel Jeep in Fargo ND. i didnt think it woulda been worth it. my question is, are they allot more to repair?

-KOSEL
post #9 of 45 Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKosel View Post
. my question is, are they allot more to repair?
Yes,alot more if something goes wrong with the engine.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #10 of 45 Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Ferrachi

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If sales are good it will be coming in the Wrangler next. http://bit.ly/VeWYcf
post #11 of 45 Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I want it to succeed. I think diesel is a superior fuel to gas for trucks and SUVs. More torque than the Hemi option with 40% better fuel mileage? Yes please! Typically diesel engines are also built extremely strongly to cope with the higher combustion pressures and tend to last a very very long time as well. With the CAFE requirements ever-tightening and the public continuing to demand ever-more-powerful vehicles, there's no way to get both without changing fuel types. Even some of the premium brands have been (re)expanding their diesel lineups - VW has 7 TDI models now, BMW is offering diesels in their X5 and their 335d, Audi has had a few in the last 3-4 years but is apparently bringing more to the US market. Mercedes has produced some of the best diesels in the world for ages and now is offering some in the USA again after a 15 year absence.

Diesel fuel is taxed more and subsidized less than gasoline. That 10% ethanol addition to virtually all gasoline helps bring the price down thanks to Federal subsidies to ethanol-producing corn farmers. While there are some subsidies for biofuel developers, the biofuel industry is still relatively small compared to industrial ethanol production. The economy of scale has yet to be realized. In my opinion, the biofuel potential for diesel is considerably better than gas.

While you pay more up front for the diesel model, you get it back on the back-end. Check prices of 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD compared to the Hemi equivalent. CRDs are 75-100% more valuable right now. Do the same thing for say, the Excursion Powerstroke vs the Triton V10. Check something like a Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi vs Cummins. VW Touareg TDI vs V8. No matter which you are looking at, the used diesel commands a much larger premium than the initial buy-in price. Manufacturers have been trying to make their diesel lineups more enticing and have been reducing the buyer's premium for the diesel models as well so that becomes even less of an issue.

I think a lot of people need to give modern diesels a chance. HP is the number that sells cars but torque is what makes it feel fast and the driving dynamics of a modern turbodiesel are better than a gas motor with +50% displacement. The 3.0 CRD is a much better engine choice for the WK2 than the 3.6 Pentastar. Don't get me wrong, the Pentastar is an impressive engine, but a rev-happy low-torque V6 is not a good fit for a large, heavy SUV. It would be a better fit for a sedan, coupe, or entry level sports car.

I think you need to go back and look at your original post and throw out some of your pre-conceived notions about diesels. They *can* cost more to repair but they also tend to be more reliable and last longer than their gas counterparts. Short trips are bad for *any* engine, and modern diesels have things like DPF regeneration cycles to help prevent damage to the emissions controls when you make a lot of short trips. Fuel prices have been pretty consistently high for about 6 years now. I think people are used to it. I still see hundreds of mega-utes getting 10mpg on the road. People find ways to afford it (and the diesel models are more affordable long-term anyway!) And at the end of the day, you still have other options to choose from. No one is making you buy a diesel anything, so if you are concerned about the state of the economy based on a single sub-model of a very successful automotive marque... fuggeddabowdit.

~Richard
post #12 of 45 Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Indy

From a mpg argument, diesel fails. Its $1+ more per gallon than gas around here. My last diesel truck was when it was still cheaper than gas, made lots of sense then.

Te added torque argument, also a fail for the masses. Unless you haul regularly you dont usually use all the power a pinto could deliver much less what the diesel can. I tow sometimes, but the mpg/power advantage over my 460 just isnt there and i still haul more often than a big chunk of the market.

I still like diesel and wouldnt mind another one, but the fuel cost needs to drop again before i seriously consider it.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #13 of 45 Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 AM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

Te added torque argument, also a fail for the masses. Unless you haul regularly you dont usually use all the power a pinto could deliver much less what the diesel can.
I would absolutely agree that cars and trucks are far more powerful than people actually need. Case in point: the 306hp Toyota Camry. What I like about diesels (and what the masses are missing out on) is that a low-hp diesel still feels quick due to the torque - but produces little hp and consumes little fuel in the process.

~Richard
post #14 of 45 Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Where are you that diesel is $1 more per gallon? I'm staring at a Chevron sign right now, reg unleaded is $3.69 and diesel is $4.23/gal...

None
post #15 of 45 Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Prices are all over the place around me. Depending on where I go with 8 miles of home, gas or diesel can vary as much as $0.50/gal. I tend to see less than $0.50 difference between diesel and regular. I use my grocery store rewards to get a $0.20-0.50 discount on the diesel most of the time anyway.

[Edit] - As of 07/2014, diesel is now cheaper than gasoline at every station I frequent. Gas has gone up about $0.60/gal. Diesel, totally unchanged.

~Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in