Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Diagnostic cable/software for Jeeps?

539 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Kruzin 
#1 ·
So I am relatively new to Jeeps and recently got a Compass, which I noted had a standard 16 pin OBD diagnostic socket.

Coming from the world of VWs, the OBD socket ends up getting used alot, I have a Specific VW cable and software from Rosstech, allows me to change settings about the car, trouble shoot and even make changes to the radio.

So with the Jeep I thought there must be something the same, but what do you use? Is there anything standard like with the VWs or is it a case of something a bit more generic?

#2 ·
There's tons available...for the bigger Jeeps, from standard OBD2 readers/scanners that work on any gas passenger vehicle, to full blown performance programmers.
What most Jeepers use is somewhere in the middle with a unit commonly known as a "Flashcal" (which is SuperChips name). It does all the standard OBD2 code reading/resetting and also allows access to a bunch of programmable parameters like alarm, keyless, DRL and lots of other settings...but more importantly it lets you change what tire sizes and axle gear ratios the system thinks you have, so if you put larger tires and re-gear the axles, the speedo will display accurately and odometer will record correct mileage.

Unfortunately for you, the Compass isn't one of the Jeeps that is supported by these tuners. They aren't heavily modifiable like the Wranglers, and there isn't much to do with them performance-wise. But there are plenty of universal OBD2 readers on Amazon that will do the basic error code stuff. I just ordered one for my Fusion that's Bluetooth, comes with apps for my phone and PC, does realtime performance and economy stats and other fun stuff for just 70 bux...and there are super basic bluetooth code readers for under 20.

#3 ·
Yeah I have one of the basic Bluetooth OBD EML327 dongles and use torque Pro on my phone, which is fine for checking error codes (mine did have one listed something about the lambda sensor performance being down, but havent checked or done anything with that) and you can get some of the live read out information, I've used this on my VWs for quick stuff, my mates nissan when he had some faults come up and it makes a great fault reader.

Then As I found recently to make changes to the stock headunit (a 730N) you need to do it through the OBD. I was watching a video of a guy who put a reversing camera on his Wrangler on the spare wheel mount (really neat bit of kit) and it came with a plug in OBD flashing tool, specifically for flashing the system to add camera compatibility in to the head unit! So that got me thinking, i wonder what stuff is locked down on the car that could do with being changed that you can only do with the cable. Like I said previously, coming from the VW background, there is tons of stuff you can do like calibration of sensors and all sorts, so I figured as a home mechanic I wonder what else there is.

#4 ·
Yea, pretty much everything is controlled through the canbus system (accessed via the OBD2 port). A dealership service dept. could plug into it and change all sorts of parameters. But afaik, nobody makes a full blown tuner that works on the Compass.

#5 ·
So, I'm expecting my new "OBDLink MX Bluetooth" to show up today, and am learning a lot about it and the software available for it. Apparently, there are a LOT of OBD software packages that work on these type of readers. And as it turns out, they aren't just readers, they CAN modify parameters with the right software. The one I'm getting comes with a generic code reading software, but to really unlock it's potential on my Ford, I need a 3rd party software called 'FORscan'. This is Ford specific software that will allow this dongle to do much of what a full blown cabled programmer will do (with the PC version).

After learning this and researching it for a while, I also learned there is a Jeep specific software for these Bluetooth dongles. It's called JScan, and it says it supports the Compass! From the looks of it, it can access quite a few 'modules'. See their website for supported OBD2 BT/WiFi adapters….

http://jscan.net/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.