Cruise Control - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Craggar
2015 JK Wrangler 

Cruise Control

I know this may sound dumb but I sure wish I could use my cruise control right down to 5KMH or 5 MPH for those in the US. 5MPH. Lots of times I find we are in spots that due to it being rocky or whatever I just put alone at 5 or 10KPH but after awhile it isn't comfortable. Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 10:33 AM
RedBolide

An easy fix is to swap in a 4cyl. Then you can push the pedal to the floor and it'll stay at 5mph.

'03 Wrangler Sport / '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo / '90 Comanche Eliminator
post #3 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 10:36 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm old and lazy too. However, I forget I even have cruise control on my JK. Halfway into a 6-8 hour trip to go wheeling, I may remember it's there and yes, it's great. Never saw a need to have it on that low though. If I'm only doing 5 mph, I'm typically rock crawling and there is too much brake action to make it practical.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 11:01 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Off road, slow speed "cruise": https://www.quadratec.com/products/16192_250.htm

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Craggar
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
lol I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's a good idea.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 11:45 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craggar View Post
lol I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's a good idea.
It's hardly a new idea, the original WW2 era Jeeps came equipped with a hand throttle to raise and hold the engine revs while operating off road (AG in the attached diagram).
Attached Images

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 11:58 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
here is the trouble with a cruise control on hard crawling. Its not same as a manual throttle control. One on hard ground you use the brakes to moderate speed not the gas. With cruise it turns off when you apply the brakes.

Hard trails you wont be doing 5mph. Unless you run it like the hammers.....

Last year we had new driver on a trail they should have not been on. They did not use the brake, but just the gas and when they would clear the object they would jump over slamming down. At one point they even after being told to use the brake, did the same but this time it was a ledge they had trouble getting over and about went wot and slammed in to a jeep in front of them. Jeep was a new JLR with the T4 banger. He said it would not stop that the pedal sticks, ya sure. If some would have been in front of this guy they would be dead today. Damage was rather extensive.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 12:28 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

A hand throttle is not cruise control.

It's a great idea in a Jeep with a stick, my buddy has one on his TJ and it works great.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 01:27 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
even a stick you use the brakes. Just you can stall it. We have many people in our club and more then a few with a hand throttle. The OP was talking about Cruise unless i am miss reading this.

I never said cruise is like a hand T, did I. I even said its not the same. But i will say that they both are drove the same if you are doing it right.

No brakes and all pedal makes for one rough ride and leads to more breakage. That crash at Moab a few years ago on Rusty nail. <<<<< Driver used pedal and was not on the break, lunged over plowed through people then went off into a crevice. Its a real issue on hard trails. Its seems perhaps the concept is not cognitive. Stick you will learn to use all three pedals. Auto drivers seem to get into muscle memory issue since they have been taught to use only the right foot to brake or gas. When off road i have seen them get confused. I lead and spot, tail gun a F ton of trails in a year. I see it. autos people at first they give a little gas and use the brake. But as it gets harder that gas foot starts to give to much gas and then use more brake, that cycle is close to porpoising in effect . Then they get confused it seems, maybe its panic too. they push both to much.

3 weeks its Dusy time.............................................

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #10 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 02:53 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
A hand throttle is not cruise control.

It's a great idea in a Jeep with a stick, my buddy has one on his TJ and it works great.
True, it isn't really cruise control per se: it will neither adjust throttle input to maintain a specific speed in response to varying terrain, nor will it completely disengage when one taps the brake or pushes the clutch pedal in. What it is though, is the closest thing the OP can use to achieve their intended result of just puttering along a trail at 5mph without touching the accelerator. That was the intent behind my referring to it as off road, slow speed "cruise". While technically not its designed purpose, it can be used as such. I highly doubt the rocky sections of trail the OP is talking about are boulder fields or shelf/ledge obstacles.

The standard warnings and cautions apply: don't use this while traveling on roads, push the clutch in or shift to neutral if the hand throttle can't be disengaged quickly, use common sense, do not use along with the words "hey y'all, watch this", contents may have settled in shipment, etc.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #11 of 19 Old 08-07-2020, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Craggar
2015 JK Wrangler 

No, I wasn't talking about rock crawling or even close to that. Where we go quite often like today is up in the Rockies. Most times it starts on a decomissioned logging road then turns into a trail that is what I call moderate(only use 4X4 in a few spots most times). So there are a lot of spots too rough to go very fast on but not technical which is why I would like to have cruise control to go that slow.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-08-2020, 09:09 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

While potentially dangerous, a manual throttle cable would do the trick.

Unfortunately, you didn't fill in your profile, so we don't know if you have a Jeep that would accept one.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #13 of 19 Old 08-08-2020, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Craggar
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
While potentially dangerous, a manual throttle cable would do the trick.

Unfortunately, you didn't fill in your profile, so we don't know if you have a Jeep that would accept one.
Just noticed that, it's a 2015 JK Rubicon. And yes I could use a manual throttle cable but I would prefer it to be like the cruise so when I hit the brake it would disengage.
It's not a big deal, I just thought it would be nice for the kind of off roading we do.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-09-2020, 11:47 AM
jimsmiths

It's not a big deal, I just thought it would be nice for the kind of off roading we do.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-09-2020, 12:39 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
In a lawsuit and litigation led society, cruise control numbers are pretty generically set at a minimum of 25 MPH and have been forever.

This was done even prior to the sudden acceleration lawsuits that came in with electronic engine and throttle controls.

It may be a cool idea but is not for 99% of the general public. It would just drain us of higher insurance costs, etc.

Why do you have a Jeep offroad if you don't enjoy the primitive skills of reconnecting back to vehicle, scenery and pure driving? Not trying to be condescending. When wifey and I jump in daisy, it rarely has even music. If it does it is a blue tooth JBL flip. That is taken along less than 10% of the time.

I just find my outdoor experiences to be the purest when they are free of the current world and tech.
222Doc likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in