Conversion Project: Suzuki Samurai to Adventure Trailer - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 51 Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Pmort

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wolfcri
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My truck is in the shop right now getting the top end rebuilt by jeep with only 69k miles on it. This is the 4th time they have the truck but it sounds like they may get it right this time. Its getting lifters, tappets, push rods, an oil pump and oil pump drive gear.

I Just bought a set of ProComp Series 8069 wheels for the truck. I got a great deal on them used in VERY close to new condition. 5 wheels plus one trxus mt tire (80% tread) which i will use for my spare, for $400.

I also picked up a couple other things like a set of KC slim offroads. I wired the lights but have not put tabs on the brush guard for them yet.

As a matter of fact, I forgot to post about the brush guard. One of my buddies from my old unit gave me a damaged HMMWV (Humvee) brush guard. I chopped 26" out of it and tweaked it a little and welded it all back together and here is what I came up with. This is just a cell phone pic but I will post a better one once I get my truck back from jeep. I also made some branch buster cables that run from the brush guard to the roof rack. I have moved my fog lights since the pic. They are mounted on the brush guard just outside of the two vertical bars in the center. The KC's will go next to eachother in the very center. This thing is great for pushing my way through tall grass, brush, and even the occasional sapling.

I am going to order my lift on monday. I think I am going with a 3" BDS suspension lift and later a 1" or 2" BL and 1" MML. My intentions are to run 33x12.50-15's for a while with my Dana30/35 stock axles and aussie lockers. I will probably build my own long arms, lift a little more, and move up to 35" or 37" tires with Dana44's in a year or so.

I threw a set of 31" pep-boys AT's on the truck (had them from the samurai) with some stock steelies. I want to sell my factory ECCO wheels and the BRAND NEW Michelin XC LT4's (less that 2000 miles) and the zero mile Goodyear Wrangler GS-A spare to fund part of my 33's.

Last edited by Wolfcri; 06-27-2009 at 12:45 PM.
post #48 of 51 Old 06-27-2009, 01:37 PM
wil badger

Sorry I have to say that looks like total crap on the front of the TJ.

Good work so far on the trailer though. You might want to second think the hitch you are using though. It will bind as the trailer and Jeep go over obstacles. What you really want on there is a pintle hitch. Yes it will be a bit noisy but will allow for free movement up and down as well as side to side while going over things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 51 Old 06-27-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Wolfcri
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil badger View Post
Sorry I have to say that looks like total crap on the front of the TJ.

Good work so far on the trailer though. You might want to second think the hitch you are using though. It will bind as the trailer and Jeep go over obstacles. What you really want on there is a pintle hitch. Yes it will be a bit noisy but will allow for free movement up and down as well as side to side while going over things.
HAHA everybody that has seen the brush guard says the same thing. Thanks for being honest. It works so well though! With the brush guard and the branch buster cables, the front of the truck takes a lot less abuse. It will have to get modified when I do my BL anyway so maybe I will change up the outer bars.

As for the pintle hitch, good call! I already did it! Pics of the pintle are on one of the other pages of this thread.
post #50 of 51 Old 06-27-2009, 04:44 PM
wil badger

Ya now that I went back I see that you did. One other thing I see that could be a possibility. I see the trailer still has some kind of gas tank skid or something down there. any thoughts on putting another tank down there with a transfer pump? Could be fresh water with a shower attachment or another gas tank for long trips to no where.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 51 Old 06-27-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wolfcri
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil badger View Post
Ya now that I went back I see that you did. One other thing I see that could be a possibility. I see the trailer still has some kind of gas tank skid or something down there. any thoughts on putting another tank down there with a transfer pump? Could be fresh water with a shower attachment or another gas tank for long trips to no where.
Yeah, actually I modified that old gas tank skid plate to hold two jerry cans. There should be a pic of that somewhere. Great minds think alike.
ETA: the pic is towards the bottom of page 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in