CJ7 with AMC 20 Brake Shoes Uncertain about new ones. New doesn't match the old ones - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
CJwranglerjeeps
1983 CJ7 

CJ7 with AMC 20 Brake Shoes Uncertain about new ones. New doesn't match the old ones

Hello fellow Jeeper's,

This is cross posted in Forum under my proportioning valve questions. Separate issue although maybe part of the problem of rear brakes locking up.

Would like to change my old shoes since the pads are loose on the rivets. All the new shoes the auto parts stores offer do not match the ones I have in the Jeep now.

The ones I have have on there now are primary shoe number FMS-267 and on the secondary shoe the number is 3208961. The sides of the pads have printed letters which read PBB-RX-FF. I can't find these shoes anywhere.

The top of the shoes where they touch to backing plate and anchor are 1"-8/32, the new shoes are 1"-4/32. The new shoes do not touch the backing plate like the shoes that are on there now. There is a gap. You can see in the picture with the black painted shoe.

Will these new shoes fit even though they are not touching the backing plate and there is an 8th" gap?

The three that I've looked at the auto parts stores are Wagner's, Auto zone brand, and Bosch. They all have the thinner width shoe top.

Here are some pictures to try to help explain this dilemma. Thank you for any feedback, really appreciate it!

AMC 20 with casting # 1A3235891
10" drums
Pads on brake shoes are 1-3/4"

Attached Thumbnails
20191010_184133.jpg   20191010_184117.jpg   20191010_183558.jpg   20191010_163202.jpg   20190930_204757.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in