15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 12:33 AM
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post

I do have to mention though; even though this 4'x8' trailer (soon to be a true 4'x4') has an axle with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, you're not going to be able to bolt any Jeep rims to it. Once you get it put together with the 12" tires that come with it, you'll see how little space you have between the sidewall of the tires (on 4" wide rims) and the side of the frame. You'll still need a wider axle (which might be a simple bolt-on affair) to mount "Jeep" rims and tires.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_5_To_5_Lug_4_5_p/5450-5450f.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Just a wildhair, and probably not tangible to many, but I have often thought to add fold down bunks to my Wells Cargo trailer. Something to use camping/hunting. Carry all your gear and sleep in it too. Maybe an option for you?? You would have to consider ventilation as well.
If you're talking about the camper top on the yellow trailer, that one is still a work-in-progress. Here's a design for a sleeping platform and a slide-out kitchen for that one:

The sleeping platform us only a few inches narrower than a queen bed, so it's a pretty good size. For ventilation there are swing-up windows with screens.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #48 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
This looks interesting. Also what top is on the black LJ in the picture above?
That was my last big fiberglass project, I call it the Safari Cab. It's a modular hardtop for LJ's and TJ's in both full length and half cab versions. I designed it and built the molds from from scratch, just like I'm doing with this trailer tub project. And the same modular parts that are used in that hardtop are used to make the camper top for the trailer:

And here it is with the modular hard side panels removed, and the optional roll-up side curtains installed, side curtains like these could also possibly be used on the trailer top:

But that's off topic for this thread, here's a very long thread on that project: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...roject-952157/

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

post #49 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Awesome project! I always look forward to seeing your work. As for inputs, I'd like to see 4x6. I don't need 4x8, I think it's too long. 4x6 would be perfect. I say perfect because with some lift to put under the frame via leafs to even it out with the jeep there will be a much better approach and departure angle. As for what I want... Well, a 4x6 trailer that looks like a TJ tub (I'd love it out of steel only because I don't know where I'll be dragging it, but I'll take 'glass ),
I'm thinking that if these get to production, there would be at maybe 4 tub lengths that would make sense:

- 4', for the HF mini trailer frames
- 6' as you say; could be an 8' HF frame cut down like I'm going to do, or a custom frame
- 7' 5', which is the length to fit the Safari Cab Overland Camper top
- 8' 7", which is 8' side panels (the end panels are 3.5" each), this one would fit 4x8 sheets flat on the floor.

There could be other lengths too, but that's what makes sense to me.
Quote:
a drop down tailgate with jeep stamped in it that I can sit on or use as a trail table.
I'm making molds for a fiberglass drop-down tailgate; more on those soon.

The tubs have a standard Jeep sized tailgate opening just like on my yellow trailer, so you could bolt up a Jeep-stamped CJ tailgate, or a YJ or TJ tailgate if you wanted.

Quote:
Aside from that, I'll just end up adding my own stuff. As to what I'd add, I'd put two spare mounts on it. One in front for the jeep that would rest on the tongue, one inside up front for the trailer. A tonneau would be nice. Because I don't run TJ axles, I'm going to end up putting a whole different axle under there, or running wheel spacers/adapters anyways. I've even toyed with putting a "spare" axle under my trailer, that I could scavenge in a pinch.
I built my yellow trailer so it will accept the same spare I use for the Jeep. That way I don't have to carry two spares with me. It's very convenient to only have one spare for both. But it sounds like maybe that won't work for whatever you're running.
Quote:
I'd like a hard tonneau that could be propped up via folding extension pieces that would store in the back underneath. I don't care about windows. Utilitarian and rugged is the goal for me. The only reason I don't have one already is I don't have the means to make the tub portion easily. I could do the rest.
I've done several designs for hard tonneaus, although I'm a soft tonneau fan myself. Here's one that opens either hinged at the front or hinged at the side - it can open either way, depending on how you need to access it at the moment (the hinge hardware that allows this isn't shown in this drawing):

Quote:
Oh, make a double reciever hitch (properly jointed for off road flex) to slide into the frame of the trailer, and into your hitch on the jeep. That way you can remove it and someone can't steal it. I've always hated how easy trailers are to steal.
That's a useful feature. You could also swap out ball couplers for pintle couplers depending on whether your trip is on- or off-road, or one of those cool swivel couplers.

post #50 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Bennettj13

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The only reason I'm pushing the hard tonneau, is that you could put a rack on it, and store stuff on too that won't fit inside. Unless you decide to make a rack that comes off of the frame for strength and sits over the soft tonneau.

::SELLING HALF OF MY JEEP::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
post #51 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The only reason I'm pushing the hard tonneau, is that you could put a rack on it, and store stuff on too that won't fit inside. Unless you decide to make a rack that comes off of the frame for strength and sits over the soft tonneau.
The preliminary design I've done for a hard tonneau includes the capability for mounting a rack as you suggest, the drawing I posted earlier today shows a rack on top of the tonneau.

Haven't given much thought yet to an elevated cargo frame, could be an interesting idea.

post #52 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post

But that's off topic for this thread, here's a very long thread on that project: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...roject-952157/
Can you please refresh us on who made that spare tire cooler rack? Thanks

The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
post #53 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Can you please refresh us on who made that spare tire cooler rack? Thanks
Off topic... I made it. I call it the Excursion Rack/Trail Table. it's an idea I had that I thought could be a useful product for cargo-challenged Jeeps. So I designed an "occasional use" rack that attaches to the spare in a minute, folds up for storage (fitting under the back seat even?), can carry a large cooler, Jerry cans, ammo cans, etc., or function as a trail table for picnics or a work table. These are photos of the quick experimental prototype I built (and before anyone mentions it, the rack is bright red and the strap is also bright so they show up well in the prototype photos ).

Now back to our regularly scheduled trailer tub kit thread...

post #54 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
ktw23
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is there anything you can't do? lol Awesome project I would love to have jeep tub trailer.

2002 TJ 4.0, 4" Pro Comp on 33x12.50's 3.73's D30 & D44 - Daily Driver
1995 YJ 4.0, 4" Rough Country on 33x12.50's 3.07's D30 & D35 - SOLD
1994 ZJ 5.9 Laredo - SOLD
Just Empty Every Pocket
post #55 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any estimates on empty weights of the various trailer sizes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #56 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktw23 View Post
Is there anything you can't do? lol
Did you read the Henry Ford quote in my signature? Jeff's version: "I think I can do whatever I think up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktw23 View Post
Awesome project I would love to have jeep tub trailer.
Thanks. I didn't think I'd get much use out of my yellow one, I mostly built it to get rid of some extra tubs and parts I had laying around left over from other projects, but it's turned out to be incredibly handy to have on hand.

post #57 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Any estimates on empty weights of the various trailer sizes?
It's hard to give generic answers to that, because there are so many ways people could built their trailers - different frames, tire sizes, etc.

The 4' proof-of-concept trailer I'll be building will use the HF 94564 trailer frame, which has a weight of either 162 lbs. (Shipping weight, on the HF product page), or 260 lbs. (from the assembly instructions), so I don't even know what the weight of that is . Whatever weight it is, I'll be using only the front 4' or it, so probably 30-40 pounds need to be subtracted from whatever the correct weight is.

I would expect a 4' fiberglass trailer tub to weigh less than 100 pounds complete, so if the HF trailer is really 162 lbs (-30, say because I'm not using it all), plus 100 (on the high side) for the tub, we're only at 230 pounds. If the heavier HF number is correct, then the trailer will come in at 260-40+100 = 320 lbs., still pretty light. Add some Jeep-size tires and that's another 50-60 pounds maybe.

Easily towable by a 4 cylinder Wrangler.

post #58 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's going to take a lot more than two inches on either side to put even the smallest Jeep rim and tire on one of these factory HF trailer axles.

But think about it. These little trailers only have a little 1" - 1.25" axle stub welded to the end of a piece of tubing or thick C-channel. It's up to the task of a 12" tire, but think of the leverage a much larger tire would put on that little spindley axle stub. It's like putting 44" tires on a Dana 30/35 combo. Just because you think you can make it fit doesn't mean it's a good idea, or that it's up to the task. Having a tire suddenly go flat on a moving trailer is bad enough; having the axle snap on a moving trailer would be a way lot worse.

You're much better off bolting in a new wider and heavier duty axle.
post #59 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
It's going to take a lot more than two inches on either side to put even the smallest Jeep rim and tire on one of these factory HF trailer axles.

But think about it. These little trailers only have a little 1" - 1.25" axle stub welded to the end of a piece of tubing or thick C-channel. It's up to the task of a 12" tire, but think of the leverage a much larger tire would put on that little spindley axle stub. It's like putting 44" tires on a Dana 30/35 combo. Just because you think you can make it fit doesn't mean it's a good idea, or that it's up to the task. Having a tire suddenly go flat on a moving trailer is bad enough; having the axle snap on a moving trailer would be a way lot worse.

You're much better off bolting in a new wider and heavier duty axle.
I just picked up the 94654 trailer at HF.

The lower capacity HF trailers have a light-duty sheet-metal c-channel axle. The 94564 has a much heavier-duty tube axle.

Yes, the wheel mounting surface on the hub is too close the the frame rail to allow normal width Jeep tires to fit, but I do have a plan (which does not involve bolting in a new axle). Don't worry, nothing happens at random on my projects, there's a design and plan for everything .

post #60 of 4303 Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Line58

1998 TJ Wrangler 

jscherb is a genius. Crawled!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in