Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
You do great work, and your trailer looks perfect. But I'm not sure there is much demand for this. There are already a few companies that make trailers of a similar size, and the comments on those are that they are really expensive...
Right, they are very expensive. My goal is that you'd be able to build an entry-level trailer complete and ready for the road for $750-$1000, part of the reason I'm designing this as a kit is to reduce the entry level cost. Of course you could build it up with a heavy-duty frame, etc., and increase the cost, but I really want these to have an affordable entry point, with the idea that people might upgrade and improve their trailer over time as their fund allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I'll still follow this because you make great products. If you're looking for criticisms: 1) I couldn't live without the hand brake on my M416. It's the only reason I have not changed to a newer axle. 2) I wouldn't use a ball type hitch to pull my trailer. I use a pintle, but you know there are other (expensive) options for those that don't like the sloppiness of the pintle.
Thanks, good input.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=jscherb;12298796]Thank you.

I agree that many of the HF trailers probably are at their best on nothing more challenging than a gravel road, but I don't intend that the HF trailer frames would be the only way to go for someone building this tub kit. You'd likely want something more substantial for serious off-road usage, although I'd invite ArmyRN to comment on the lighter-weight HF style trailers, he's done a lot of work with them.

jscherb - I don't know how to make a partial quote above stay yellow.

Shameless plug on my part:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

Anyways... these little HF type trailers aren't designed for HD off-road travel. I'd be willing to take it on some mild off-road trails as it sits now, but that's about it. The C-channel frames bolt together, and the tongue bolts to the frame. Once you put it together, you could weld up where the separate pieces of channel come together, and you could easily brace further where the tongue piece bolts to the frame. It should be simple to have a welding shop reinforce it all, and if you've got a buzz box at home easier still. I used nylocks on all my bolts to keep them from shaking loose (don't go cheap on the hardware).

One of the limiting factors on taking any trailer off-road is using a ball mounted hitch. There's only so far the hitch will rotate/twist side-to-side (and up-and-down) before it's maxed out, and then something has to bend or break (and it's probably going to be something related to the trailer). I'm looking at a couple of options right now to give mine better off-road movement at the hitch mount.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html

And I think going too large a tire on one of these little trailers will be more likely to cause breakage. The large tire might just get planted too well and not want to move, so something on the trailer will get tweaked/bent/broke when trying to move it.

What these trailers are great for is getting you to your trailhead destination/campground where you can disconnect, set up camp, and then hit the trails. They carry a lot more gear than you think they can (freeing up what limited space you have in your Jeep), and being lightweight trailers they tow very easily.

A buddy and I are planning on taking my Jeep and little trailer to Alaska next year on a three-week road trip. Hopefully we'll get off pavement, and can test the trailer and see how it does. Here's a picture I took taking the Jeep and trailer to Moab and back (2200 miles round trip). I towed all my gear to Moab, parked it at the campground while I spent the week Jeeping, and then loaded it it back up and towed it home afterwards. No trailer issues at all. I did have issues with water getting inside my tarp even after wrapping it up the best I could and strapping it all down.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0352.1.jpg  
post #33 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
1992 renagade
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As Like your other Build Threads Great Work and very cool idea!

Neill

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delaware jeep Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!

post #34 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Once I finish making the molds, I plan to build a proof-of-concept trailer. My plan for the proof-of-concept trailer is to build a "short" one, with a 4' version of the tub. Originally I was planning to use the 40" x 48" HF Mini trailer as the base, but I decided I wanted to build this first trailer on a heavier-duty base, so I'm going to use the HF 94564 Heavy Duty 4x8 trailer - it's got a 1720-lb. payload capacity, and a 5-on-4.5 bolt circle, which is the same as the TJ/YJ Wrangler. Here's a photo of the HF 94564:

The trailer will have to be shortened from it's 8' length into a 4' length; this can be done as a simple "drill job", meaning the only tool other than wrenches and screwdrivers that will be required to do the mod and assemble the trailer in the shorter size is a drill, to make a few new holes necessary for the new configuration. Here's how the conversion to a 4'x4' trailer will be done:

The trailer comes as two 4x4 foot frames bolted together in the center, so it will be assembled with only the front frame. The axle mounting bracket will be moved forward to position the axle just behind the center of the shorter frame, and the rearmost tongue brackets will be eliminated and the back ends of the tongue will be secured to the front spring hanger bolts.

I also have a use for some of the pieces from the back part of the frame that won't be used - one of the leftover beams will be turned into a mount for a rear hitch receiver, so receiver accessories like bike racks could be used on the trailer.

My goal is to build the trailer as if I'm a typical DIY-er in his home garage, without access to and special tools. So the build will be a proof-of-concept of the bolt-together capability of this tub along with the HF trailer frame.

BTW, once the proof-of-concept trailer is complete, I may offer it for sale. Since I've already got a Jeep-tub trailer, I don't think I need a second one.

PS: LesterM, thanks for the receiver idea!

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #35 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM
whodatjoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed. Awesome stuff man!
post #36 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

I love to follow your work, Jeff. Thank you. Subscribed...

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #37 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
KevKaos

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Really need a trailer, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Subscribed.

KevKaos
Honey Badger Wheelin'

RED JEEP CLUB # 621
It's not much, but check out my build thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashnpa View Post
I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
so I use my original nuts?
You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
post #38 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

While I've been extremely pleased with my little HF type 4' trailer (see avatar picture at left), I always thought the ideal Jeep trailer size was 4'x6'. I knew HF sold a 4'x8' trailer, but I never thought I could buy one... cut the last 2' off... move the springs forward...

Damn, jscherb you are brilliant. Talk about thinking "outside the box".

I do have to mention though; even though this 4'x8' trailer (soon to be a true 4'x4') has an axle with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, you're not going to be able to bolt any Jeep rims to it. Once you get it put together with the 12" tires that come with it, you'll see how little space you have between the sidewall of the tires (on 4" wide rims) and the side of the frame. You'll still need a wider axle (which might be a simple bolt-on affair) to mount "Jeep" rims and tires.

Looking forward to following this project.
post #39 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
While I've been extremely pleased with my little HF type 4' trailer (see avatar picture at left), I always thought the ideal Jeep trailer size was 4'x6'. I knew HF sold a 4'x8' trailer, but I never thought I could buy one... cut the last 2' off... move the springs forward...

Damn, jscherb you are brilliant. Talk about thinking "outside the box".
I think it's a really good solution for a very affordable but higher capacity trailer than the HF "Mini" trailer. For about a hundred and twenty bucks more and you get a sturdier frame, wider track, 1720 lbs. carrying capacity and 5-on-4 1/2 bolt circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
I do have to mention though; even though this 4'x8' trailer (soon to be a true 4'x4') has an axle with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, you're not going to be able to bolt any Jeep rims to it. Once you get it put together with the 12" tires that come with it, you'll see how little space you have between the sidewall of the tires (on 4" wide rims) and the side of the frame. You'll still need a wider axle (which might be a simple bolt-on affair) to mount "Jeep" rims and tires.
Yup, I'm aware of that, and I've got a solution for it, but I'll cover it when I get to that point in the build .

post #40 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 PM
GregB_00XJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed... looking forward to how these turn out!

- 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK -

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
post #41 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

Just a wildhair, and probably not tangible to many, but I have often thought to add fold down bunks to my Wells Cargo trailer. Something to use camping/hunting. Carry all your gear and sleep in it too. Maybe an option for you?? You would have to consider ventilation as well.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #42 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This looks interesting. Also what top is on the black LJ in the picture above?

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #43 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
This looks interesting. Also what top is on the black LJ in the picture above?
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...roject-952157/
post #44 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Sgt.Fuzz

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed to see where this goes.

My build:
post #45 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Bennettj13

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome project! I always look forward to seeing your work. As for inputs, I'd like to see 4x6. I don't need 4x8, I think it's too long. 4x6 would be perfect. I say perfect because with some lift to put under the frame via leafs to even it out with the jeep there will be a much better approach and departure angle. As for what I want... Well, a 4x6 trailer that looks like a TJ tub (I'd love it out of steel only because I don't know where I'll be dragging it, but I'll take 'glass ), a drop down tailgate with jeep stamped in it that I can sit on or use as a trail table. Aside from that, I'll just end up adding my own stuff. As to what I'd add, I'd put two spare mounts on it. One in front for the jeep that would rest on the tongue, one inside up front for the trailer. A tonneau would be nice. Because I don't run TJ axles, I'm going to end up putting a whole different axle under there, or running wheel spacers/adapters anyways. I've even toyed with putting a "spare" axle under my trailer, that I could scavenge in a pinch. I'd like a hard tonneau that could be propped up via folding extension pieces that would store in the back underneath. I don't care about windows. Utilitarian and rugged is the goal for me. The only reason I don't have one already is I don't have the means to make the tub portion easily. I could do the rest.

Oh, make a double reciever hitch (properly jointed for off road flex) to slide into the frame of the trailer, and into your hitch on the jeep. That way you can remove it and someone can't steal it. I've always hated how easy trailers are to steal.

::SELLING HALF OF MY JEEP::

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in