16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4276 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
That's a good thought, thanks. I'll do some "reach testing" before making a final decision.

Don’t forget Jeff, your “reach” is greater than that of a normal man...

Also, just a thought on the location of the faucet. Could you reposition it to the side so you are not reaching over it when standing at the sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4277 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Don’t forget Jeff, your “reach” is greater than that of a normal man...

Also, just a thought on the location of the faucet. Could you reposition it to the side so you are not reaching over it when standing at the sink?
With a minor change to the faucet bracket it could go anywhere along the outside edges - so it could move to either corner of the edge it's on now, or to the outboard end of the sink. Moving it to one of the inside edges would require a hole in the tabletop for the hose to go through and depending on the sink and faucet chosen for the production version, there may not be enough table space for that.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #4278 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A few more photos - With the Jeeps out of the garage I took a few photos with a better view of the trailer.

One of the swing-down stabilizer jacks I picked up last week at an RV surplus outlet is leaning up against the trailer frame at the rear. They're extra long and they'll be perfect, mounted to the underside of the frame they'll have more length than necessary.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

post #4279 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 PM
moemuledeer

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jeff one thing that I didn’t show you when we were in Death Valley was how my bed changes into two different lengths of lounge configurations. The foot of the my bed is hinged (aluminum piano hinges) and lifts with the help of gas supports for the storage area while the top section is in two pieces that are also hinged. The very top pice has a hinged panel under it that supports it for full length lounging. For the short (at the doors back) position the top pice drops into slots in bed supports (2x4s) on the sides of the bed. The ropes are to lift the sections into position. I have the bed platform lifted off the tub floor and slotted to help with condensation underneath the mattress. With the Futon mattress this works well and is made to fold.
You could hinge a section to lift up and slide the platform forward to make your standing area.
Attached Images

post #4280 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemuledeer View Post
Jeff one thing that I didn’t show you when we were in Death Valley was how my bed changes into two different lengths of lounge configurations. The foot of the my bed is hinged (aluminum piano hinges) and lifts with the help of gas supports for the storage area while the top section is in two pieces that are also hinged. The very top pice has a hinged panel under it that supports it for full length lounging. For the short (at the doors back) position the top pice drops into slots in bed supports (2x4s) on the sides of the bed. The ropes are to lift the sections into position. I have the bed platform lifted off the tub floor and slotted to help with condensation underneath the mattress. With the Futon mattress this works well and is made to fold.
You could hinge a section to lift up and slide the platform forward to make your standing area.
Steve,
Dang! I wish I had seen that. Everything about your camper is so well done, I sure wish I had seen that. The pictures are helpful though, thanks for posting them.
jeff

post #4281 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM
moemuledeer

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry about that. So much in there it’s sometimes hard to cover it all at one time.
Maybe that just means we need to meet up again. Let me know if you plan to use your trailer for camping out this way. I’m always up for a adventure. I am working on the “Book” you recommend I write. Trying to recover pictures for it.
post #4282 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemuledeer View Post
Sorry about that. So much in there it’s sometimes hard to cover it all at one time.
Maybe that just means we need to meet up again. Let me know if you plan to use your trailer for camping out this way. I’m always up for a adventure. I am working on the “Book” you recommend I write. Trying to recover pictures for it.
I may be at Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, that's about the closest I might be although it's not very close, and I don't know if I'd be camping or if I'd be bringing the trailer. I would have to have the Jeep outfitted for overland camping because it would be on display in the MORryde booth, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd be camping in it or the trailer. Might ask MORryde to provide me with a hotel rather than camping . As the date gets closer I'll know more.

post #4283 of 4307 Old 01-20-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another option that might be worth considering - the plan for the front hatch is to be a pantry cupboard, but instead it could be used for a bed extension and the side hatch could be used instead for a cupboard. The front hatch is about 48" wide so it would be reasonable as an extension for a bed that will be roughly 56" wide. Doing this would provide more floor space for standing.

post #4284 of 4307 Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been asked a few questions about powering the fridge in the trailer and about counter space for food prep.

The Trail Kitchen has a power system - in the Jeep I've got a kitchen battery installed above the rear inner fender and the same battery will go in the trailer. The Trail Kitchen Power panel has two power outlets, two USB outlets, and a voltmeter and ammeter for monitoring battery condition. One of the outlets powers the fridge and the other powers the sink pump.

In this photo for a better view of the battery and power system the kitchen isn't installed; I'm charging my phone from one of the USB outlets:

The Trail Kitchen also has a charging system - when the Jeep is running the battery is charged and the kitchen is powered from the Jeep and when the Jeep isn't running the kitchen is powered by the kitchen battery. The battery lasts about 3 days before it drops below the fridge power threshhold, so as long as the Jeep is run every few days the kitchen battery stays charged. When installed in the trailer, the charging system will be tied to the Jeep power through the trailer wiring plug.

For longer than 3-day operation, solar panels would be a good idea and the Trail Kitchen charging system could be tied to output of the panels.

The Trail Kitchen has a plenty of cooking/countertop surface, but more is always good. Here are some photos of the kitch en in the wild during food prep...

For even more work space, what I may do is install the side hatches to open down as tables. Here's a concept drawing, I've put a pantry cupboard inside and the hatch opens as a table.

Another option for more table space would be something like this tire-mounted table I was testing on my recent Death Valley camping trip.

post #4285 of 4307 Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 AM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did you have to install a bigger alternator to charge the extra battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread:

SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread:
post #4286 of 4307 Old 01-28-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
Did you have to install a bigger alternator to charge the extra battery?
No, charging the battery doesn't take much power.

post #4287 of 4307 Old 02-27-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

When I made the pop-top for my Jeep-tub trailer I used factory TJ soft top rails on the top of the tub to secure the canvas in the same way that the factory soft top secures to the Jeep. I've written about that before.

And I put soft top rails on top of the camper top as well so the pop-top canvas would work on top of that.

If you plan to do a canvas top or something similar on your Jeep-tub/Dinoot trailer, you might keep your eye on your local u-pull junkyard for TJ's. The rails are spot-welded to the tub, but it's easy to drill out the welds to remove the rails. My local junkyard charged $3.00 each for these. Enough TJ's are showing up in junkyards these days that it' wasn't hard to pick up all the rails I needed pretty quickly. Even though I don't have a current need for more rails I keep my eye on the new arrivals web page at the local u-pull; any time a new TJ shows up in the yard I'll go grab the rails for future projects.

post #4288 of 4307 Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 PM
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Another option for more table space would be something like this tire-mounted table I was testing on my recent Death Valley camping trip.

Very cool idea

2013 JKUR sold
2006 GX470
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
post #4289 of 4307 Old 04-28-2018, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Living Overland recently posted a good article about building a Jeep-tub Dinoot trailer: http://www.livingoverland.com/2018/0...t-trailer.html

post #4290 of 4307 Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 PM
sleepyjim
2004 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Ok rather not read LOL is there a kit made yet? How much?

By the way you dudes got way more talent than most!

Jim

04 Libby: 2.5" lift, Skid Plated, Steel Diff Cover, Rear Locked, Tons of Az Pinstripe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in