Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit - Page 285 - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4261 of 4307 Old 01-01-2018, 11:39 AM
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
The M1101 isnít my favorite either because of the size but you make them look seriously appealing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I aint saying its right, but I understand......Chris Rock

My off road trailer build - M416 copy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4307 Old 01-01-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A few more photos.

Since the Trail Kitchen is taller than the Jeep tailgate, I added a door on the front to raise the height of the tailgate opening. It's on lift-off hinges so it can be moved out of the way. Plenty of room now to install the trail kitchen:

This is the photo-edit I did earlier in the project showing what the Trail Kitchen and front pantry will look like:

I've got the hardware installed for the lid; in this photo it's raised partway up and supported by a piece of wood at the back. All of the hardware to mount the gas struts is installed, but since it's easier to install them when the lid is all the way up and I don't have to compress the struts, I'll wait until I roll the trailer out of the garage to install them. Since it's about zero degrees outside, I didn't do that today .

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #4263 of 4307 Old 01-03-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping it gets at least 15 degrees warmer this afternoon so I can roll the trailer out of the garage, tilt the lid all the way up and snap the canvas in place. Since I won't be camping in this thing until the summer at least, there's no point in punishing myself by working outside when it's 11 degrees.

In the meantime, I installed mini-blinds on the side windows. When I'm using the trailer for cargo, it'll help keep curious people from seeing what's inside. When in use as a camper, it'll provide some privacy for the occupants.

To keep the blinds under control, I make some holders for the bottom rail with snaps.

Blind down and snapped in place:

Unsnapped and open:

The blinds were the correct width but over five feet long so I had to shorten them over 3 feet to make them the right length. Haven't shortened the adjusting "wand" yet (that's what it's called in the instructions), but probably will shorten that to 6" or so.
NashvilleTJ and DirectMatrix like this.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

post #4264 of 4307 Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today is the first day it's really been above 20 degrees so it's finally warm enough to roll the trailer out of the garage to hook up the gas struts and snap the canvas in place.

Since I installed all the hardware a week ago, connecting the struts took about 30 seconds, and the canvas just snaps into place on the lid so installation didn't take long. This shot shows the headroom that's available when the top is up, I'm 6'6"...

Canvas in place (I haven't had this canvas up in a long time so it's a little wrinkled):

BTW it's hooked to the Jeep because the trailer doesn't have stabilizer jacks yet. Haven't needed them so far because I've never used this trailer as a camper. On Wednesday I'll be in Elkhart, Indiana, where there are some very good RV surplus shops, so I'll get some jacks while I'm there.

post #4265 of 4307 Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A few more photos with the Jeep.

post #4266 of 4307 Old 01-08-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's hard to show the interior space but there's a lot of it with the pop-top up.

When the top is down, the sides stow up against the underside of the lid.

post #4267 of 4307 Old 01-09-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Next in the plan is installing the Trail Kitchen. There's plenty of room for the kitchen behind the front tailgate and room for a pantry behind the front hatch.

Other upcoming tasks:

- Install stabilizer jacks on the trailer frame
- Build the pantry box inside the front hatch. It'll be removable for when I want to use the trailer for cargo.
- Install gas struts on all 3 hatches
- Build the sleeping platform and mattress

After I install the kitchen I'll be able to finalize the design of the sleeping platform. It'll be positioned just above the kitchen and will have plenty of storage underneath. The platform will be sectional so the back end of it can be hinged or removed to allow standing space when not sleeping.

The platform will be basically the same size as a queen bed, which is 60 x 80 although the platform will be a little narrower because the Jeep tub is only 59" wide.

I stopped by one of my favorite surplus stores the other day because they carry foam; they have 60x80 sheets in 1", 2", 3" and 4" thickness for $30 per inch of thickness. I'll probably go with a 2" sheet for $60 but I'll decide that as I finalize the sleeping platform design.

I've got a lot of travel coming up that will get in the way of this project so progress will be a little slow over the next few months.

post #4268 of 4307 Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Any plans to color match the trailer tub to the JK?

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
post #4269 of 4307 Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
Any plans to color match the trailer tub to the JK?
No. The trailer is as likely to be behind my black LJ or my Flame Red Wrangler pickup as it is to be behind my Deep Cherry Red JKU. And I like it in yellow.

post #4270 of 4307 Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Someone told me today that they were trying to come up with a design for a "dual sport moto" hauler and figured a trailer that would be 5' tall and 10' long would be just about right. He was wondering how the design might work out with TrailTop parts.

I know nothing about what a "dual sport moto" is, but Google search helped me find out... so I drew this 5' high x 10' long concept. It uses the TrailTop teardrop parts because that's the shape he was interested in and I sized it 5x10 as he said. I believe the bike is scaled accurately, the rear wheel on this one is 18" so that's how I sized the bike image. I put a 4'-high door in the side of the trailer figuring it might be nice to get inside to the front of the cargo area. It's got a teardrop-style rear hatch above a drop-down tailgate, and you'd use a ramp against the tailgate to roll bikes in. Not knowing anything about motorized bikes I don't know if this concept makes sense.

FWIW:

post #4271 of 4307 Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
That's pretty neat. The door is a really nice feature as getting to the front of the bike to use straps would be a pain without it. Typically the bike would be held in with a strap going from each side of the handle bars to the front corners of the trailer. A door on either side would make this even easier, although it would add to the cost. You would also likely want a cradle (I don't know the actual name) for the front tire in the front of the trailer that holds the wheel straight. A couple tie down points near or on the floor front and rear. Overall seems like a nice design for moving a bike. The dry storage of an enclosed trailer is super convenient. A way to wash your hands and face at the end of the day might also be a nice feature, but again, that would be added cost to a more basic trailer.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4272 of 4307 Old 01-13-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Once I get the Trail Kitchen installed, I'll finalize the sleeping platform design. The basic plan is for the sleeping platform will go above the kitchen. It will be sectional so it can be configured for sleeping or standing.

At left below is the sleeping configuration. I haven't shown any of the supporting structure for the platform in this drawing, just the location of the platform and mattress parts. The pink area below the end of the bed would be used to store "outdoor" gear, things that come out and get set up in the morning - chairs, table, etc.

On the right is one way I could configure the sleeping platform and mattress for standing; in this one the end of the bed swings down to provide floor space for standing.

But rather than swinging down as shown above I'll probably make the end section of the bed platform and mattress removable, then it can be used as a backrest for sitting:

I'll do a sectional foam mattress and sew covers for each section. Under the center section will be a storage compartment.

And I visited a few of my favorite RV surplus outlets the other day to pick up a few bits & pieces for the camper project. Got long stabilizer jacks, gas struts and hardware for the hatches and a set of locks keyed alike for the doors and hatches.

post #4273 of 4307 Old 01-15-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today I did a test fit of the Trail Kitchen in the camper.

The water source for the sink is a 2-gallon Rotopax, it mounts to the side of the kitchen. Water flow is handled by a small 12v pump, which automatically switches on when the faucet is opened and switches off when the faucet is closed.

The hatch above the kitchen will be a pantry.

The kitchen isn't fully installed yet, and there's no power, but it is in the Jeep so here's a demo of the sink.

I also swapped the locks today, so now all of the hatches, the rear entry door and the front kitchen door are all keyed alike.

post #4274 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 07:02 AM
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
If it were me, I would use the side hatch for the pantry, Iím in and out of it getting seasonings or whatever I need while Iím cooking. Above the tailgate and I wouldnít be able to reach a lot of the contents when the kitchen is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I aint saying its right, but I understand......Chris Rock

My off road trailer build - M416 copy:

post #4275 of 4307 Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski701 View Post
If it were me, I would use the side hatch for the pantry, Iím in and out of it getting seasonings or whatever I need while Iím cooking. Above the tailgate and I wouldnít be able to reach a lot of the contents when the kitchen is out
That's a good thought, thanks. I'll do some "reach testing" before making a final decision.
jski701 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in