Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is just waaay too many cool things thrownn at a man all at once. Where does one start ? I like it all and the worst thing about this whole thing is ones inoatience. You show us one thing with 18 different styles and I like them all.

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
This is just waaay too many cool things thrownn at a man all at once. Where does one start ? I like it all and the worst thing about this whole thing is ones inpatience. You show us one thing with 18 different styles and I like them all.
I try to design things so that they can be assembled and configured in different ways to meet many the needs of different people. I'll be showing many more configurations and design concepts for these trailers as this thread progresses...

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #18 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 AM
LalanP111

2004 TJ Wrangler 

wow, great work as always! look forward to the finished product! definatly going to have to find a way to fit it in my budget!

1998 TJ, 4.0L, RC 2.5", 31x10.5-15 Duratracs (sold)
1988 MJ, 4.0L ..soon for be on 33's and 6.5" LA/SOA (project)
2004 TJ, 4.0L, Columbia Edition, 2.5" Rough Country, 33x12.5-15 Duratracs, Quadratec Winch, Dual Top (DD, future project)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It takes care of me and in return, I take care of it. Takes me away from everything I don't want to be around, and back again when needed...

post #19 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM
1980ranger
1982 CJ7 

subscribed
post #20 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 AM
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Good idea starting this thread, Jeff. Looking forward to following along!
post #21 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

and crawled

2016 TJ of the Year

Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 AM
SkippyPB13

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You sir are a master craftsman! Excellent work!

Ask about my Custom Paracord Jeep Stuff!!
Door straps, rollbar grab handles, bracelets.

post #23 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
njrealtor55

2004 TJ Wrangler 

what is the anticipated price point for the 8' long version? tub only, no roof or trailer...

also, will the exterior flares & inner fender wells be included?

Jason

04 Rubicon mallcrawler
savvy/currie 4"
post #24 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Zorty
1983 CJ7 

Don't think I could make use of one myself (yet...) but damn is that a sharp looking trailer! Great work!
post #25 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Speed-Freek

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well Thought through Jeff, I think you are going to be bombarded with sales once you get it into production.

I really need to come up with something cool and marketable, excellent job sir!

ASE certified tech, and welder/fabricator for hire, PM me for any of your automotive needs!
post #26 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
gottahot1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Comment/suggestion

Very nicely done.

Since overlanding is so popular these days, the only suggestion I could make is plans/parts for making these trailers more durable. Granted, I don't own a Harbor Freight trailer but I've heard that they are quite weak in critical areas once you get them off-road and really start stressing them. If you could identify which area(s) need reinforcement and provide either a weld-in or bolt on kit that eliminates the weaknesses, your piece of the build wouldn't be subject to inclusion in any complaints about the overall quality.

In addition, I would consider adding a rooftop tent to a trailer to be pulled behind my Jeep but am a bit concerned with the fact that this is made of fiberglass. If fiberglass is strong enough to support at rooftop tent shaking around off road, you might mention that. If it's not strong enough, you might consider some reinforcements in order to accomodate such a contraption. Hinged lids seem to be desirable in the overland world. They seem to be hinged on the side and lockable.

Fantastic work! The above are just comments; you can take them or leave them.
post #27 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Shakey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You do great work, and your trailer looks perfect. But I'm not sure there is much demand for this. There are already a few companies that make trailers of a similar size, and the comments on those are that they are really expensive.

It's not unusual to find a M416 or M101 for around $500 and you can find very good examples for $1,000. If you're not looking at a Canadian version, the downside is that those are old and some people don't like that. The great benefit to those is that they are not based on the Harbor Freight trailer. I'm fairly confident I would destroy that Harbor Freight trailer pulling it behind my Jeep on the trails.

This winter, I'm planning on some body work to my M416. However, if your fiberglass body would fit on the M416 frame, and was in the $500 ballpark, I would consider your body as a replacement. I think there is a market out there for replacement bodies at a reasonable price.

I'll still follow this because you make great products. If you're looking for criticisms: 1) I couldn't live without the hand brake on my M416. It's the only reason I have not changed to a newer axle. 2) I wouldn't use a ball type hitch to pull my trailer. I use a pintle, but you know there are other (expensive) options for those that don't like the sloppiness of the pintle.
post #28 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahot1 View Post
Very nicely done.
Thank you.

Quote:
Since overlanding is so popular these days, the only suggestion I could make is plans/parts for making these trailers more durable. Granted, I don't own a Harbor Freight trailer but I've heard that they are quite weak in critical areas once you get them off-road and really start stressing them. If you could identify which area(s) need reinforcement and provide either a weld-in or bolt on kit that eliminates the weaknesses, your piece of the build wouldn't be subject to inclusion in any complaints about the overall quality.
I agree that many of the HF trailers probably are at their best on nothing more challenging than a gravel road, but I don't intend that the HF trailer frames would be the only way to go for someone building this tub kit. You'd likely want something more substantial for serious off-road usage, although I'd invite ArmyRN to comment on the lighter-weight HF style trailers, he's done a lot of work with them.

My goal is to provide a tub kit that can be used to provide a very economical on-road/light off-road trailer using the HF frames, but could be built up to whatever standard necessary by the user with a heavier frame from another source.

I'll be building a proof-of-concept trailer with the first tub parts to come out of the molds, and I plan to use the HF 94564 1720-lb. capacity trailer under it to provide for a more sturdy base (more about that frame soon).

For my yellow trailer, I made an even stronger frame - here's the frame I built for it, I used components to provide for a 3000-lb cargo capacity:

What I've tried to design is a tub kit that could be used for anything from a 4' long budget on-road trailer using a $200 HF frame up to an 8'+ offroad camper tub on an appropriate frame, it would be up to the individual to use these kit parts to build a trailer to their own specs.

Quote:
In addition, I would consider adding a rooftop tent to a trailer to be pulled behind my Jeep but am a bit concerned with the fact that this is made of fiberglass. If fiberglass is strong enough to support at rooftop tent shaking around off road, you might mention that. If it's not strong enough, you might consider some reinforcements in order to accomodate such a contraption. Hinged lids seem to be desirable in the overland world. They seem to be hinged on the side and lockable.
I'm definitely designing the tub to be strong enough to support a roof-top (trailer top?) tent; supporting a roof-top tent was one of the key design criteria for my Safari Cab hardtop, and I think it's the only fiberglass Jeep hardtop designed with supporting roof-top tents in mind, so that's also been one of the design criteria for this trailer from the beginning.

Anyway, I've got a preliminary design for a folding hard tonneau/tent platform for the trailer, here's a drawing of it on a 4' trailer:

More about the tent platform later...

Quote:
Fantastic work! The above are just comments; you can take them or leave them.
Thanks for the comments, I am grateful for the input.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #29 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I thought I liked to make and build things with my own two hands... Congrats on the idea and the pro looking work!

Sadface :(
post #30 of 4303 Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrealtor55 View Post
what is the anticipated price point for the 8' long version? tub only, no roof or trailer...
The short answer is "I don't know at this point". But I'll explain with a longer answer by covering a couple of points...

- My main design goal for this project is to create an economical kit that can be assembled by a DIY-er in his driveway with average tools. It's a kit so that it can have a less expensive initial purchase price and so the user can build it to his budget and performance specifications based on his choice of trailer frame. I do have a good estimate of the cost of the resin and fiberglass materials that will go into molding the kit parts, and those costs are very reasonable. My goal would be that a complete, ready-to-roll entry-level trailer could be built for between $750 and $1000, which would include the tub, trailer frame and everything else necessary to tow it on the street.

- I build these projects because I'm interested in the design and construction challenge involved, and when I initiate a project I typically don't have a plan to bring the project to market. So, ...at this point I do not have a company lined up to bring these to market. When I started the Safari Cab project I did not have a company signed up to produce them, and during the course of the project I was approached by a company and worked out an arrangement for them to have the rights to manufacture and market them. I'm approaching this project the same way - I'm building this because I'm interested in the project, and hopefully some company will be interested in producing them for the market. So far a number of my projects have become projects on the market already and one other is in the process towards becoming an available project (the Safari Cab), so the track record isn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrealtor55 View Post
also, will the exterior flares & inner fender wells be included?
My plan at this point is to build several different sizes of inner fender wells for different needs and uses:

- "Full size" inner fenders which would support up to 33-35" tires with a track width matching that of the Jeep (so about 37" between the inner fender wells inside the tub).

- "Full size" inner fenders, also supporting up to 33-35" tires, but for a slightly wider track width, allowing 49" between the inner fender wells so 4x8 sheet good could be carried flat on the floor (or the interior space maximized for camper usage). I built my yellow trailer tub with a wider track for that reason, see the photo below.

- Mini-trailer fenders, for use with the smallest of the HF-type frames. Since they have 12" wheels at the largest, they don't need large internal fenders, so I'd make minimal ones to provide for maximum interior cargo space.

So you'd choose the fenders appropriate for your application; they'd either be bolted or bonded to the side panel and floor, depending on your construction plan.

The larger two types of inner fenders would be sized so the opening would support Jeep factory rear fender flares. Those would not be included with the kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in