Boat question: suggestions of boat+trailer I can haul with 2 door JL Wrangler? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2021, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
hangwire

Boat question: suggestions of boat+trailer I can haul with 2 door JL Wrangler?

Hello,

It has been a while and coming to ask a question... let me know if this is not the correct forum.

I have a JL Wrangler 2 door with a factory hitch. I know towing is 2000lbs and max payload is 1000lbs, so what would be kinds or even makes/models of boats I could safely get and haul around? Any suggestions would be great as it seems there are plenty of affordable boats on craigslist locally in Wisconsin, so some keywords for makes, types, length, or specs would be greatly appreciated. When recently canoeing on the rivers I have noticed some Honda (or other Japanese car maker) signage on smaller boats that seemed like would be a good fit.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2021, 07:15 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
it all about weight. find one that all IN wet is under 2,000 if you have the tow pack. That means from the factory as well. adding a hitch later will not add 1k to the equation.

main issue is the spec will be DRY< nothing in it, no options. Boats like a camper can get filled up rather quick and the weight(stuff) goes up a lot. Much like The long Long trailer with Lucy. reality that jeep can tow more then 2k Just not in the USA legally. But say one in the EU area most jeeps there that load is way over 2k.........But jeeps are higher center tend to be short WB and some what narrower. today's 2d is more like a f250 compared to jeeps i had like a 47 and 66. pulling 2k in them could be a real hand full. Makes death wobble look like a day in the park.

I would bet if looked up a model you SEE for sale. You can find its weight in its specs........Google......2 k aint much when you adding a trailer.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2021, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
hangwire

Thanks, can you clarify tow package? Having a jeep purchased new with a factory installed hitch counts as a tow package or is that an upcharge feature and I really only have 1000lbs tow on that factor hitch as a max?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
it all about weight. find one that all IN wet is under 2,000 if you have the tow pack. That means from the factory as well. adding a hitch later will not add 1k to the equation.

main issue is the spec will be DRY< nothing in it, no options. Boats like a camper can get filled up rather quick and the weight(stuff) goes up a lot. Much like The long Long trailer with Lucy. reality that jeep can tow more then 2k Just not in the USA legally. But say one in the EU area most jeeps there that load is way over 2k.........But jeeps are higher center tend to be short WB and some what narrower. today's 2d is more like a f250 compared to jeeps i had like a 47 and 66. pulling 2k in them could be a real hand full. Makes death wobble look like a day in the park.

I would bet if looked up a model you SEE for sale. You can find its weight in its specs........Google......2 k aint much when you adding a trailer.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-13-2021, 01:54 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
when that vehicle was made it has a sticker on the door or jamb that states its weight. That can not be changed. On a JL i am not all that sure what they do or not. In the JK world it was more gear 3.21< to 3.73, the hitch and some sort of programming.

Fact is a jeeps dont tow well, not much a truck, dont make a great "car". Where they do well is off road.

On mine adding that hitch was not part of Max tow, just tow. Max tow gets it all but that aint saying much. reality is what 2k or was it 2.5. just is not that much. sure a very small boat or trailer. But i had Ski doo that were like 850 pounds x2 and the trailer was at weight.

reality the jeep could tow more. Issue tongue weights and how a jeep has no over load in the springs it just drops fast as that weight adds up. stability issues.

Bigger tires makes it worse as will lifting it. Stopping it as well. even stock tires a brake system should be used on say at 2500 pound boat. Might be a Law?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2021, 12:16 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

What will you be using the boat for?

14-16' pontoon could work.

15' Boston Whaler is another option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in