Battery recommendation for Warn 8274 on stock '97 TJ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-16-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
caintjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Battery recommendation for Warn 8274 on stock '97 TJ?

I'm looking to add a good battery to a stock '97 TJ Wrangler, 2.5 4-cylinder with a Warn 8274 winch installed.
The winch should not see excessive hard use, but will probably be used pretty regularly in moderate jobs. 2/0 cables (welding cables) with military type terminals are planned for both positive and negative connections directly to the battery.
I'm not against updating the altenator, if necessary, but want to stay with a single battery option (would rather avoid a double battery install, if practical).
Advice on currently available batteries from satisfied users with similar equipment would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-18-2016, 11:41 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stick with an AGM type of battery, they're more rugged and hold up better to winching and wheeling than a conventional liquid acid battery does. Deka is a good one but there are others like Exide that are good. Odyssey is widely felt to be the very best.

I would avoid Optima. In my personal opinion, their quality took a big nosedive when Johnson Controls bought them and moved the manufacturing down into Mexico. I had three Optima batteries in a row fail prematurely.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Northstar or Odyssey AGM

post #4 of 14 Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
caintjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys.
The last time I needed a good battery the DieHard Platinum was popular. I didn't even know they were discontinued (years ago) until the need for a heavy duty came up again.
Would there be any reason to upgrade the stock altenator in this situation, or is it something I shouldn't worry much about in this case?

Any advice on something I might be overlooking would be welcome. I'm hoping to get this TJ winch set-up right the first time for what will most often be mild-to-moderate work loads.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-19-2016, 09:20 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caintjeep View Post
Thanks, guys.
The last time I needed a good battery the DieHard Platinum was popular. I didn't even know they were discontinued (years ago) until the need for a heavy duty came up again.
Would there be any reason to upgrade the stock altenator in this situation, or is it something I shouldn't worry much about in this case?

Any advice on something I might be overlooking would be welcome. I'm hoping to get this TJ winch set-up right the first time for what will most often be mild-to-moderate work loads.
Winch draws under load are high enough that unless you really upgrade your alternator (e.g. Mechman 300+ amp alternator) you are always going to be hitting the battery pretty hard. Thus the need for a quality battery. Very few people upgrade the alternator to that degree and things work just fine.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As Bifgnar said above, you don't need to upgrade the alternator. There's no alternator available for the TJ that can keep up with a fully loaded winch, most of the amperes drawn by the winch are provided by the battery. A winch can draw over 400 amperes under full load so not even an upgraded alternator would beneficial enough to be worth installing.

Good battery management and the factory alternator while winching is all that is needed. Just don't use your winch continually to winch multiple vehicles in a row and you'll be fine. I've had to winch my Jeep short distances off the trail a couple times when the engine couldn't be started and the battery handled it fine without needing a jump start later once I was able to start the engine.

post #7 of 14 Old 10-19-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
caintjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool...Plenty other places to use that coin...synthetic rope, maybe.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-19-2016, 05:11 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool...Plenty other places to use that coin...synthetic rope, maybe.
Good idea, make sure to go with 3/8" for synthetic which provides an added safety margin due to synthetic being more susceptible to damage. 5/16" synthetic is technically strong enough but can't absorb as much abrasion damage without failing as the 3/8" can.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-20-2016, 03:44 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
I'm looking to add a good battery to a stock '97 TJ Wrangler, 2.5 4-cylinder with a Warn 8274 winch installed.
The winch should not see excessive hard use, but will probably be used pretty regularly in moderate jobs. 2/0 cables (welding cables) with military type terminals are planned for both positive and negative connections directly to the battery.
I'm not against updating the altenator, if necessary, but want to stay with a single battery option (would rather avoid a double battery install, if practical).
Advice on currently available batteries from satisfied users with similar equipment would be much appreciated.
As a guy who has run 3 of these in his 3 jeeps so far, any battery will do but I recommend going to a GM single wire 160 amp alternator. Any alternator shop will build this for you for about $150 or less.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
post #10 of 14 Old 10-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Warn Industries
Vendor

FYI, we recommend a minimum of 650 CCA on winch batteries for the M8274-50. I personally run an Optima Yellow Top in my XJ, but I also run other accessories, which is the primary reason I bought it.

-Andy

GO PREPARED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on

See us on
post #11 of 14 Old 10-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warn Industries View Post
I personally run an Optima Yellow Top in my XJ, but I also run other accessories, which is the primary reason I bought it.
I had three Optimas in my TJ Andy, two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top. All three failed prematurely and all three were made after Johnson Controls bought Optima and moved all of their battery manufacturing down into Mexico. Their quality took a big nose dive after that and even big retailers like Costco stopped selling them due to all the warranty returns. Optima only used to be the best, they are no longer. At least in my personal opinion. After your Yellow Top fails, I'd switch to a different brand of AGM style battery.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Warn Industries
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
After your Yellow Top fails, I'd switch to a different brand of AGM style battery.

I know Optima had a bad run of Yellow Tops. However, I've had two that I've bought in the last couple of years (two different vehicles) without incident—and hopefully that continues. (FYI these are my personal vehicles.)

- Andy

GO PREPARED

Like us on

Follow us on

See us on
post #13 of 14 Old 10-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know Optima had a bad run of Yellow Tops.
Blue and Red Tops too. They all have the exact same problem which from what an Optima distributor told me is due to the reduced purity level of the lead used in the now Mexican built Optimas.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-04-2016, 03:20 PM
GrantYJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
FYI, we recommend a minimum of 650 CCA on winch batteries for the M8274-50. I personally run an Optima Yellow Top in my XJ, but I also run other accessories, which is the primary reason I bought it.

-Andy
I'm not trying to argue with Andy, but I'd highly recommend jumping up to an 800 CCA for an 8274 (I know that Andy said minimum, I'm just making the point). The difference in performance and heat build up in the winch is noticeably different with a larger CCA battery. From what you've described on your cable size, you're headed in the right direction. Small cables and small CCA batteries will build heat in the winch a whole lot faster and heat is what kills solenoids and damages motors.

I run an 8274 on my YJ and a HS9500i on my Tacoma. Both use 2/0 welding cable. At the moment they're both using 800 CCA Napa lead acid batteries. The Tacoma will keep it's battery (it's my daily driver and I've had great luck with these batteries) and I'm still struggling with the same decision you are for the Jeep. I was running an Optima Red Top until it died (it lasted long enough that I don't hold a grudge, but not nearly as long as it's predecessor) and I needed another battery quick (hence the lead acid). My intention is to reuse the battery from the Jeep for an old F250 and go to a semi isolated dual battery setup (joined when running only) using AGMs in the Jeep. I've also swapped from the factory 90 amp alternator to a 136 amp from a ZJ, which became a necessity after converting to an electric fan.

I use a hand throttle to bring the RPM up while winching and I saw no noticeable difference between the 90 amp alt and the 136 amp (they both struggle), but it makes a world of difference when the fan kicks in at idle during normal driving. Just an FYI, you probably have the same little 90 amp alt. that I had. I pick

Please keep us apprised of what you get and how you like it. I haven't had the level of problems that others have with Optima batteries, but they don't hold up as well as they used to (at least in my experience) and I'm leery about the prospect of buying two.

*Edit*
To the OP,
Just an FYI, unless someone changed it out, you have the same 90 amp alt that my YJ had. You can do a quick search for better details on the donor vehicles, but the 136 amp alt that I swapped into mine is a bolt in swap from a late 90s ZJ with a V8 or a Dakota. I paid a whopping $20 for mine from my local salvage yard. Just food for thought. If you do this, you'll need to put in a heavier charging wire to the battery as well. Normally, I'd say not to bother given your situation but this is a very cheap and easy upgrade for '99 and older Wranglers with the 2.5. I wish I'd done it years earlier.

Last edited by GrantYJ; 11-04-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Additional information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in