San Diego Area - Page 2743 - JeepForum.com
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41131 of 41138 Old 06-29-2019, 10:40 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Bummer. Always liked checking out other peoples junk.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41132 of 41138 Old 06-30-2019, 02:57 AM
Climbit

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Bummer. Always liked checking out other peoples junk.
Go back and look at the previous post.

July 10th.
post #41133 of 41138 Old 07-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
Go back and look at the previous post.

July 10th.
I must be going blind!

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton

post #41134 of 41138 Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Speed-Freek

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys its me again for my annual post, haha..
So Ive been needing to fix my Jeep for a while now and just been to busy or just havent made it a priority. Its time to fix the darn thing.

What is the problem you may ask? Well I started hearing odd noises in the rear diff on the way back from Havasu in the middle of the desert off the 177. It was a ticking that seem to hit with every ring gear rotation. I had no tools and still had over 230 miles to go and had a trailer on the back, oh boy.

So I ended up driving home and kept the speeds low, oddly enough the sound slowly subsided. Got home and pulled the rear diff cover off and what should be gear oil looked like anti-sieze! After cleaning it out I realized that the ring gear bolts were actually backing out and grinding away. 2 bolts were out completely and 3 others had the heads sheared off.
And no I never did any work in the rear diff (D35 w 3.07) except for adding a lunchbox locker. Apparently someone doesn't like loc-tite or torque specs, lol.
Long story longer, does anybody have a stock D35 w3.07 gears they wanna sell? I can just use a stock one and cut and reweld my shock mounts and strike plates on to.
I would swap over to 4.10s but I have an ARB front locker for the 3.07 and wont work due to the carrier size break.
Or I can just use some gears and Ill just set it up which is probably easier since I have coilover mounts and whatnot that need to be cut and rewelded. All for a POS D35!
Anyway hope all is well with everyone!

ASE certified tech, and welder/fabricator for hire, PM me for any of your automotive needs!
post #41135 of 41138 Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
Hey guys its me again for my annual post, haha..
So Ive been needing to fix my Jeep for a while now and just been to busy or just havent made it a priority. Its time to fix the darn thing.

What is the problem you may ask? Well I started hearing odd noises in the rear diff on the way back from Havasu in the middle of the desert off the 177. It was a ticking that seem to hit with every ring gear rotation. I had no tools and still had over 230 miles to go and had a trailer on the back, oh boy.

So I ended up driving home and kept the speeds low, oddly enough the sound slowly subsided. Got home and pulled the rear diff cover off and what should be gear oil looked like anti-sieze! After cleaning it out I realized that the ring gear bolts were actually backing out and grinding away. 2 bolts were out completely and 3 others had the heads sheared off.
And no I never did any work in the rear diff (D35 w 3.07) except for adding a lunchbox locker. Apparently someone doesn't like loc-tite or torque specs, lol.
Long story longer, does anybody have a stock D35 w3.07 gears they wanna sell? I can just use a stock one and cut and reweld my shock mounts and strike plates on to.
I would swap over to 4.10s but I have an ARB front locker for the 3.07 and wont work due to the carrier size break.
Or I can just use some gears and Ill just set it up which is probably easier since I have coilover mounts and whatnot that need to be cut and rewelded. All for a POS D35!
Anyway hope all is well with everyone!

Don't know of any. Wranglers never make it to the junkyard and I don't know that XJs ever came with that ratio. You best bet is an explorer 8.8, which does come in 3.08 which is close enough. The bracket set for a TJ install runs about $125.
Speed-Freek likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41136 of 41138 Old 07-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Speed-Freek

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Don't know of any. Wranglers never make it to the junkyard and I don't know that XJs ever came with that ratio. You best bet is an explorer 8.8, which does come in 3.08 which is close enough. The bracket set for a TJ install runs about $125.
Gotcha, well I do have an 8.8 I was gonna use for my V8 swapped Tacoma, I guess I had better check the gear ratio and if its 3.08 Ill just swap it out.

Thanks, thats the smarter way to go anyway. Guess I have to change the master cylinder as well due to rear disk brakes..I'd better do some research.

Just so dang busy building my new shop and developing the property, as well as building trucks almost every day..so much in fact that Its hard to work on my own projects!

ASE certified tech, and welder/fabricator for hire, PM me for any of your automotive needs!
post #41137 of 41138 Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
Gotcha, well I do have an 8.8 I was gonna use for my V8 swapped Tacoma, I guess I had better check the gear ratio and if its 3.08 Ill just swap it out.

Thanks, thats the smarter way to go anyway. Guess I have to change the master cylinder as well due to rear disk brakes..I'd better do some research.

Just so dang busy building my new shop and developing the property, as well as building trucks almost every day..so much in fact that Its hard to work on my own projects!
I never changed my master. When I finally did need a new one I swapped in a TJ part

my paying job really gets in the way of what I want to do
Xpress likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41138 of 41138 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
my paying job really gets in the way of what I want to do
I'll trade you....

X
who's jobless again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in