Looking for shop suggestions for SYE and shaft install. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
jebmoore
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for shop suggestions for SYE and shaft install.

Hey everyone, recently lifted my yj and am looking to get a SYE installed and a new rear shaft to eliminate my tc lowering kit and driveline issues. Any suggestions on where to get the work done at a decent price here in San Diego.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There are only a couple of jeep specific shops and they all charge an arm and a leg. Any mechanic could do an SYE but chances are most would have never done it an would shy away or would quote a high price. Aside from laying under the jeep installing an SYE is one of the more simple to do upgrades if you can do it yourself then order a new rear shaft from Tom Woods.
jebmoore likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-16-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
jebmoore
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There are only a couple of jeep specific shops and they all charge an arm and a leg. Any mechanic could do an SYE but chances are most would have never done it an would shy away or would quote a high price. Aside from laying under the jeep installing an SYE is one of the more simple to do upgrades if you can do it yourself then order a new rear shaft from Tom Woods.

Thank you for the advice, I am going to go that route and am considering picking up a rebuild kit while I’m at it.

Any suggestions on where I might take the halves to get the bearings pressed in. I am down in Chula Vista. Was thinking just one of the local transmission shops but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

post #4 of 4 Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmoore View Post
Thank you for the advice, I am going to go that route and am considering picking up a rebuild kit while I’m at it.

Any suggestions on where I might take the halves to get the bearings pressed in. I am down in Chula Vista. Was thinking just one of the local transmission shops but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

I've always just used a brass hammer. the bearing are in the aluminum housing and are not hard to get in or out. the exception is the needle bearing in the rear cover which I usually leave alone, there is about no way to get it out without special tools or a Dremel.

I could give you a hand but don't have a spare weekend day til probably mid july

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in