TJ full door tear down for Paint. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ full door tear down for Paint.

Here you go guys a write up on how to remove all the parts necessary for a proper paint job.

First start by removing the "C" clip that holds the window crank on. There is a proper tool for this, but I could not find mine. So, I used a pick tool.

Then move on to the Torx screws, there are 2 in the pull strap and 3 along the side and bottom of the panel.

Now to pop the panel off the door frame. Slide a clip tool or putty knife or screw driver under the panel and lift with a little pressure to release the plastic clips.

Now with the panel removed you can remove the reinforcement for the door pull.

Pull back the vapor/water barrier being careful to not damage the plastic or the adhesive used to attach it.

Vapor barrier removed you can access the two screws holding the window on the regulator.

Then remove the two screws in the trim holding the run channel in.

Now comes the fun. The outer door handle is attached to the rod that actuates the latch by a cotter pin and a spring washer.

The spring washer is located behind the rod that is held in place by the cotter pin.

Now with a screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers you can grap the slides that hold the outer door handle in place. Use the flat screw driver to move the retainer clip off the stepped portion on the slides and pull up with the pliers.

Then grab the handle and work back and forth till it comes free from the door.

Now you can see the retainers that hold the slides in the door handle.

Time to remove the belt molding. It has a clip every four inches that can be tricky to remove. If you grab the molding with both hands and push towards the inside of the Jeep you can release and pull up on the belt molding. Just start on one end and move across as the clips become free.

Now the lock cylinder. Its pretty easy. Just grab the slide retainer with a pair of pliers and pull, then remove the colored clip holding the rod on.

Then sand the door with a DA sander and what ever grit paper you need depending on the finish. I sanded this with 500 grit.

You can reverse the steps for reassembly.

Hope this helps someone get the Job done right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Big thumbs up! I'm planning on taking my drivers door apart soon to figure out why the outside latch is so floppy and this will help a ton. Thank you!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things..."
post #3 of 11 Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsmasher
Big thumbs up! I'm planning on taking my drivers door apart soon to figure out why the outside latch is so floppy and this will help a ton. Thank you!

Your Welcome, your outside latch is so floppy because the return spring is probably broke. I would order a replacement handle before you start just to save you from having to do it twice.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #4 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post

Your Welcome, your outside latch is so floppy because the return spring is probably broke. I would order a replacement handle before you start just to save you from having to do it twice.
Awesome, thanks for the tip.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Ironworker709
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up!!..Worthy of being a Sticky

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
post #6 of 11 Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 PM
sardog12

Garage
Wish I had these instructions when I had to take my door panel off when I had the full doors. One thing that I did learn a while back on an old vehicle was that a string small enough to fit behind the crank knob worked back and forth can often get the clip out a bit easier, if you don't have the tool.

GEAUX TIGERS
post #7 of 11 Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
Great write up!!..Worthy of being a Sticky
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog12
Wish I had these instructions when I had to take my door panel off when I had the full doors. One thing that I did learn a while back on an old vehicle was that a string small enough to fit behind the crank knob worked back and forth can often get the clip out a bit easier, if you don't have the tool.
A cloth shop towel will also work to remove the retaining clip on the window crank. Just work it back and forth till the clip releases.

K.C.C.O.
Carpe Diem

post #8 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 AM
99dodge
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome write up. I need to replace my door panal and this helps ALOT

As for me and my family, we will ride for Christ
post #9 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The passenger side and driver's side handles are interchangeable with the one caveat it will have the outside latch opposite the correct handle, right?

post #10 of 11 Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 AM
wwch99tj

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this! I just picked up a set of full doors that I'm going to be painting soon

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using JeepForum
post #11 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 05:48 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

can you do something with the photos?

Every one of them has a big photobucket logo over them so they are not useful

Can this be cleared up?

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in