Rust Removal Techniques - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 05-31-2019, 08:05 PM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

For smaller items, I've used products similar to Evaporust. Mix with water in a bucket, drop the part in. Come back a few hours later, pull out the part and wipe done with a rag. Rust gone. I've done a bunch of small parts but haven't taken any before/after pictures. I will say this, if I didn't see it myself, I wouldn't believe it.

I also have a sand blaster, and a cabinet media blaster. Sometimes I prefer the Evaporust. For light surface rust, the part comes out looking brand new, not "blasted clean".

I've done items as large as brake backing plates.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" SSTs on beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 AM
pat master

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardein View Post
For smaller items, I've used products similar to Evaporust. Mix with water in a bucket, drop the part in. Come back a few hours later, pull out the part and wipe done with a rag. Rust gone. I've done a bunch of small parts but haven't taken any before/after pictures. I will say this, if I didn't see it myself, I wouldn't believe it.

I also have a sand blaster, and a cabinet media blaster. Sometimes I prefer the Evaporust. For light surface rust, the part comes out looking brand new, not "blasted clean".

I've done items as large as brake backing plates.
What is the name of product you're mixing with water?
post #18 of 20 Old 06-02-2019, 08:05 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:

Quote:
I've used products similar to Evaporust.
Do a google search for Evaporust there are similar products available.

https://evapo-rust.com/

post #19 of 20 Old 06-02-2019, 09:00 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat master View Post
The stuff I used, I got off ebay. I started with a small bottle, and ended up buying several gallons. 8 ounces mixed with 120 ounces made one gallon and the stuff worked.

Unfortunately, the seller is no longer listing anything on ebay. To bad because it was less expensive than evaporust, which I have never used. The product I bought was advertised as being same/similar.

I have about 8 ounces left so time to start looking for more.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" SSTs on beadlocks
post #20 of 20 Old 06-02-2019, 01:04 PM
pat master

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardein View Post
The stuff I used, I got off ebay. I started with a small bottle, and ended up buying several gallons. 8 ounces mixed with 120 ounces made one gallon and the stuff worked.

Unfortunately, the seller is no longer listing anything on ebay. To bad because it was less expensive than evaporust, which I have never used. The product I bought was advertised as being same/similar.

I have about 8 ounces left so time to start looking for more.
I remember seeing concentrates for sale on the net. I was a vendor at Carlisle for a number years I would set up with Capt Lee he had three products spray on paint remover, Capt. Lee's metal prep, and rust remover. He had some great products and sold a ton of it. He left the business and gave me the formula. When I tried to copy it I was told some of the ingredients were no longer available. my guys in the lab duplicated as close as they could. This metal prep contain solvents and you don't rinse it with water. Whatever you do avoid using muratic acid it dissolves the rust quick but also dissolves the metal .so if you soak something keep an eye on it because it might disappear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in