Rust Removal Techniques - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-23-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
cpdutch

Rust Removal Techniques

Opinions needed;
1) Chemical (Jellies, liquids, etc) versus

2) Mechanical (abrasion such as wire brush or tumblers)

"One-touch" paints that promise to seal the rust - anyone believe this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 AM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

All of the above.... is the correct answer.
In our 1995 XJ we've had to cut out floors, patch in sheet metal, then putty and paint.
I personally prefer to sand, prime, then prime again before putting a finish coat of some sort of flat black paint on the underside.

The manganese phosphate ( I think), rust neutralizer compound is good to use on frame and parts with intermediate or minor rust.... it turns white and from our experience gives a clean coating that primer will adhere to. This seems to work well when attacking a frame and body with moderate rust. We try hard to keep our sheet metal intact but sometimes the equipment still runs better than it looks. It's not always easy to control rust, but with the right materials and techniques you can double the life of these bodies, I think ! Good luck.
cpdutch likes this.

1995 Cherokee 4.0 with no power options.;
2011 GC Overland Hemi
post #3 of 20 Old 09-02-2018, 06:18 PM
V8GCZJ

It may help to describe your issue in better detail, Pics would be even better! Oh, And you forgot #3 media blasting!

post #4 of 20 Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mechanical abrasion in some form is required for pitted or crusty rust. I prefer sand blasting. Light surface rust can be chemically removed. Rust "converters" or magic rust sealant goops are wasted money. POR-15 and similar does work, but you need to carefully follow the preparation directions completely.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I as well would use/do blasting over anything else. waist time with wire wheels on frames and such or just about anything else. So much faster, easy. wire wheeling is so slow tends to burnesh. Treatments is band aid. after the metal blasted you do what ever metal work you need including sanding it down. I use a pre DTM prep. Tends to blue steel. Shoot it with DTM primer epoxy is best. Most are No sand so you have a open time to respray and continue with a build up or maybe its ready for color.

Though with sand you can if the system has enough force heat warp panels. Small sand suckers lower flow not so much, bit slower but works well. frames trouble is the inside. If you are in a big city i bet you could even get a frame dipped. Might not get back all that you sent if its a jeep.

The main issue after is getting all the sand out, gets in places. I would not sand blast inside a interior of any vehicle that is not a complete frame off or gutted. You never want to breath silica dust. does leave a frosty nice finish though, rust is gone. You have to still work the metal you dont want micro glass bits under the the pre treat before going to DTM.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 PM
PwnCall

Garage
Best option is not letting it rust in then first place with fluid film and the like. POR 15 is tricky stuff that requires a lot of prep work. If it's on the interior of the panels it's probably a lost cause since it will rust from the inside.

If you are interested in fluid film
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4NCUJoa0lVs

post #7 of 20 Old 10-05-2018, 08:23 PM
jeep_pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainoldCheroke View Post
All of the above.... is the correct answer.
In our 1995 XJ we've had to cut out floors, patch in sheet metal, then putty and paint.
I personally prefer to sand, prime, then prime again before putting a finish coat of some sort of flat black paint on the underside.

The manganese phosphate ( I think), rust neutralizer compound is good to use on frame and parts with intermediate or minor rust.... it turns white and from our experience gives a clean coating that primer will adhere to. This seems to work well when attacking a frame and body with moderate rust. We try hard to keep our sheet metal intact but sometimes the equipment still runs better than it looks. It's not always easy to control rust, but with the right materials and techniques you can double the life of these bodies, I think ! Good luck.
^2 this would be good to try OP. I had a buddy who has had success with this technique
post #8 of 20 Old 10-07-2018, 03:13 AM
Hatsuwr
1996 ZJ 

Option #4 - Electrolysis!
post #9 of 20 Old 05-17-2019, 07:42 PM
pat master

The most powerful primer in the world is part of the 3 coat polyurethane system. It's a moisture cured aluminum flake primer developed by the MoBay chemical in the early seventies. The resin blocks the moisture and the aluminum flake in multiple coats cuts off the oxygen. 2 coats of this primer any urethane topcoat will do 14,000 hours of salt spray. When its scratched the rust won't go beyond the scratch. This coating system was developed for bridges were sandblasting was prohibited by law. Bridges like the Pittsburgh Homestead high-level bridge with 3 coats, at the end of 14 years less than 5% corrosion. The bridge is a mile-long. When you do your frame, your tub, anywhere you had rust put 2 coats of silver then your chassis coating. Black moisture cured urethanes only block the moisture not the oxygen.They are also not sunlight stable I don't recommend it for a lifted Jeep. I've used this coating system on my classic cars for over 30 years now with great results
post #10 of 20 Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat master View Post
The most powerful primer in the world is part of the 3 coat polyurethane system. It's a moisture cured aluminum flake primer developed by the MoBay chemical in the early seventies. The resin blocks the moisture and the aluminum flake in multiple coats cuts off the oxygen. 2 coats of this primer any urethane topcoat will do 14,000 hours of salt spray. When its scratched the rust won't go beyond the scratch. This coating system was developed for bridges were sandblasting was prohibited by law. Bridges like the Pittsburgh Homestead high-level bridge with 3 coats, at the end of 14 years less than 5% corrosion. The bridge is a mile-long. When you do your frame, your tub, anywhere you had rust put 2 coats of silver then your chassis coating. Black moisture cured urethanes only block the moisture not the oxygen.They are also not sunlight stable I don't recommend it for a lifted Jeep. I've used this coating system on my classic cars for over 30 years now with great results
Name of product?

post #11 of 20 Old 05-29-2019, 10:43 PM
hewilson2

1982 CJ7 

I freely admit that I am not an expert on this topic...but I can say what has worked for me which is naval jelly followed by a wire brush followed by sanding. I have never used the paint over/neutralization products.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-30-2019, 04:30 AM
V8GCZJ

What is suited for large projects like a bridge might not be suited for automotive use. I didn't research the particulars but did find this site...

https://www.epoxyproducts.com//
post #13 of 20 Old 05-30-2019, 04:54 AM
IMMORTEN

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Rust Removal Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdutch View Post
Opinions needed;
1) Chemical (Jellies, liquids, etc) versus

2) Mechanical (abrasion such as wire brush or tumblers)

"One-touch" paints that promise to seal the rust - anyone believe this?

I have had pretty good experiences with Hammerrite.

Not just on my cars, but also on stuff around the house.

As they promise on the label, if you give 2 coats or more it will easily last 8 years +

Their spray paints are “so so” but their brush on paints are excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 20 Old 05-30-2019, 05:39 AM
pat master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
Name of product?
There are a couple of products, both Rust bullet and Mastercoat have the aluminum pigmented moisture cured primer. Mastercoat has the two component AG 111 New York City subway anti-graffiti formulation. As for industrial paints not working on automotive use it's done every day. Vintage cars Inc. in South Carolina primes every car that they do with this type of primer from Mastercoat to prevent comebacks. This aluminum based primer requires multiple coats a minimum of two to lock out the oxygen. Two component polyester type urethanes are one of the toughest urethane topcoats in existence.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 AM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mobay Chemical company,, seems to be a Bayer subsidiary now, named Covantis. Not sure what brand name the various products use, though.

1995 Cherokee 4.0 with no power options.;
2011 GC Overland Hemi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in